Mazda3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was posted on another forum. Is this true???

"The Focus and Mazda 3 are 90% silmilar, and many parts that work on a Focus work on the 3. The Focus is even available already with a low emissions version of the 2.3. Guys in the Focus world are already running mid-14s with N/A 2.3 cars (Just a CAI, Exhaust, pulley, and header will do it for you [but of course the Focus is lighter than the Mazda3]). Check out these sites, and look at the PZEV (the low emissions version of the 2.3) and Duratec (Ford's name for the its new line of 4cyls) tuning sections:

http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, sorry! I didn't see it! Thanks

·
Registered
882 Posts
The 90% same remark as raitchinson said is not true. However I have heard it been told that the Mazda3 will repsond very well to aftermarket CAI kits. I'm awaiting the first ones to come out so I can see what the deal is, I plan to go racing agan this year so any extra scoot I can muster will always be appreciated even if it is bracket racing. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Its funny how car companies like to share...my last car was a mazda built ford for mercury...i called it the mut...it had pretty mch a mazda engine, ford labeled parts, but was sold as Mercury Capri. go fig

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Well, it's not so much "liking to share" as Ford mandating it (well, in the 3's and most future vehicles cases). FoMoCo companies are required to use the Ford Global Parts Bin or some such term.

·
Registered
38 Posts
frenzy2223 said:
The Focus is even available already with a low emissions version of the 2.3.
The Focus 2.3 produces 145hp and I am not sure how common its engine is to the 3's 2.3. Similar, probably, the exact same, no. Bore X stroke is different, compression ratio is the same, torque is almost the same, fuel injection is different.

D

·
0 Posts
Jeff,

Bore and Stroke in the Mazda3, Mazda6, Ranger, Focus 2.3L DOHC engine is exactly the same. Where the HP differences come in is computer tuning, cams, exhaust manifold and system design, intake filter design, etc... the short blocks are 99% identical except for the Mazda engines having balance shafts.

The cylinder heads themselves are nearly identical as well, if you are talking about valve size, valve angles, combustion chamber size and design, etc.... The mazda engines have the Sequential-Valve Timing system installed though....

Nikolas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.