Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to a local performance shop and asked for estimates. so i asked about intakes and Hid's so all in all he made an offer, intake plus HID's any color with installation 400.00 cash money. is that good ?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Come to my place, I'll do it for $380.

That's a lot of $. Figure less than an hour to do the HID's, and about 90 minutes - 2 hours for the CAI.

$400 / 3 = $130 per hour. Bit steep in my books.

TIM

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
Is the guy providing the parts and installing them for you, or do you have the parts in hand and all hes doing is installing it? Either way, both installs are very easy and theres writeups on here that you can use. If you can work a screwdriver, you can install both yourself.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you think? i called other places and they wanted 390- 455 for the intake alone

PS yes he is providing the parts as well

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
OK, if he's providing the parts it's a good deal... unless it's an "ebay" CAI.

TIM

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this offer is for parts and installation i had bought nothing from the net ebay, craiglist etc.
the intake is injen as for the hid's not sure whats a good make

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
DDM/Apexcone is nice for HIDs. Injen is rather expensive, so thats a pretty good deal. I still think you could save $100-150 if you install it yourself, which is rather easy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont think im a motor head material, PC's are more my thing. so doing it myself......meh :huh

·
Registered
93 Posts
[quote author=daybreaker link=topic=139264.msg3001098#msg3001098 date=1237347555]
i dont think im a motor head material, PC's are more my thing. so doing it myself......meh :huh
[/quote]

I work in IT, and I managed to replace the hydraulic lifters in my 300ZX's engine with nothing but a torque wrench and some cheap oil (The engine ran for about 100k after that, must've done it right). Oh, and directions printed off the internet. I've taken all of like two fairly beginner level auto shop classes ever. You can certainly install a CAI with the good directions I've seen on this forum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
[quote author=daybreaker link=topic=139264.msg3001098#msg3001098 date=1237347555]
[/quote]

If you can build a PC, you can install a CAI with your eyes closed.
It's the same stuff. Unscrew screws and unclip some clips, replace part with new part.

·
Registered
110 Posts
yeah, i agree, install on either is easy as long as you have the tools and a good guide (which you can find on the forums) only problem i had with the intake was taking out the resonator cause one of the bolts was hard to reach because i took off my wheel instead of taking off my front bumper -_-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts