Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I hated that door when I had a tC. Removed it all together.

I suppose if you can fabricate a radio mount that would inset the head unit 1.5" - 2", then transplant the door system from the tC. However, I haven't been behind the radio yet to know what kind of room is there.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
looks like you might have to start fiberglassing and fabricate one. Would be nice theft deterrent. Or they will want to break in to see what's behind door #1.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
I personally think that would look awful on the 3. Our HU isn't recessed so I can't imagine how that would work.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=136809.msg2950015#msg2950015 date=1235151364]
I personally think that would look awful on the 3. Our HU isn't recessed so I can't imagine how that would work.
[/quote]

Come on now, where is your Imagination, I personally think if a car thief looks in the window and sees a black panel he would move onto another car.

·
theykickedmeoffnasioc
15,460 Posts
Plus, you have to be doing some customization anyways, so why not just set it back a bit while youre at it so that the cover is level with the dash?

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
I hate to be a buzz kill sometimes, but I have a feeling that a lot of you havent even taken apart your dash if you think this will work. Regardless of the amount of "customization," where would the cover slide back? It cant go up, the vents would get in the way.. it cant go down, the ac controls are there... and it cant flip out and then go straight back because there are wiring looms for the flashers and HU back there, not to mention a lack of depth. Its not gonna happen. If you're worried about it, buy a HU with a detachable faceplate/screen.

·
theykickedmeoffnasioc
15,460 Posts
Ive taken mine apart many times...
Im just thinking that itd be possible, I mean itd take work and I severely doubt you could pull it off with the stock HU, and personally I dont find it worth the effort but if you do then go for it and bring back pics

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
I dont think you can pull it off with an aftermarket HU either. Seriously, there just isnt the room for a hide away panel. MAYBE if it was a fabric type covering that slide down over a recessed HU, then it might work. But it would have to be a on a spring loaded roller or something. Theres just no way a rigid plastic flip down cover is going to work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts