Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a Mazda3 by summer, but I can't decide between the Touring and the Sport. The touring has the traction control, the 17's, ABS, and sidestills, but is that all worth another 1300?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
A could more details might help:

Which country are you in (different countries have different packages)?
Are you looking at the 4-door or the 5-door?
Are you trying to decide between the i Sport and the i Touring or the s Sport and the S Touring (it sounds like you're talking about the S models, but I wanted to be sure)?

Andrew Beard

·
Registered
31 Posts
My opinion:

ABS and Traction Control are worth it.

Sidesills are worth it only if you like how they look. They do not affect performance unless you go really, really, really fast.

The 17's might be worth it if you want the big tires, but replacements are uber expensive.

Package deal - worth it only if you want all of the above or can't find one at a dealership that has everything you want a la carte.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have the 2006 touring edition.....the ABS, traction control is really nice to have. I think the one important thing to remember is to get the side airbags because otherwise it did poorly in crash tests.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in USA and I am looking at the S 2.3L models.

I live in AZ, it doesnt really snow, so not sure I even need the traction control?

·
Registered
782 Posts
It was the side airbags that sold me on the Touring trim, as you can't get a 5-door Sport model with the side airbags. However, it is an option for you since you're looking at the sedan. A few hundred dollars for greatly increased safety is worth it in my book.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
[quote author=greyzoomer link=topic=66045.msg1133339#msg1133339 date=1167948495]
I have the 2006 touring edition.....the ABS, traction control is really nice to have. I think the one important thing to remember is to get the side airbags because otherwise it did poorly in crash tests.
[/quote]

06' doesnt have traction control...

·
Registered
907 Posts
find a GT w/out sunroof/6-disc... you'll prolly pay the same... I love my GT and I'm no fan of sunroofs... the leather is of decent quality as well...

up to you ...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was sold for the 17" wheels (tires look much better at that profile) and the side impact/curtain airbags. HID was nice too, as I believe that is standard on the Touring?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
[quote author=suXor link=topic=66045.msg1181211#msg1181211 date=1170360117]
I was sold for the 17" wheels (tires look much better at that profile) and the side impact/curtain airbags. HID was nice too, as I believe that is standard on the Touring?
[/quote]

HIDs aren't available on anything but the GT. They aren't standard on the touring, they aren't available as an option on the touring.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
If I did it all over again, I'd get the base model Mazda3, then add all the goodies I want.

I don't really like ABS, and probably would turn it off if I had a choice, etc... Makes me feel like I suddenly lose control of the brakes.

The 17s are OK, but I'd rather get cheap steelies OEM, then keep those for winter or something and get a nice pair of light weight rims for summer with summer tires. :)

Air bags... Well It's very rare that it will ever be used and it's nice insurance... then again, even with extra air bags you can still die in a car crash if you have bad luck or do something stupid anyways.

Traction control is yet another way to put your car in the hands of electronics rather than feeling the RAW control of human operation... It may be nice for those that just want to mash inputs, but I prefer simplicity at its finest. :)

I say save the money for some worthwhile mods that add FUN, but that's just me. hehe

·
Registered
29 Posts
[quote author=bearda link=topic=66045.msg1181234#msg1181234 date=1170360837]
HIDs aren't available on anything but the GT. They aren't standard on the touring, they aren't available as an option on the touring.
[/quote]

I guess I have a GT then....

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm living in Syracuse right now, and I drive on packed snow roads on my way to work at least twice a week. I do not have ABS or traction control and I have had no trouble.
I should note that I do have snow tires.

It's more about how you drive then anything else; if you are cautious you are unlikely to need the ABS or traction control. Just my opinion.
In Arizona i doubt you'll find much need for either no matter how you drive.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I don't know about traction control, but if you're not used to pumping your brakes I'd recommend ABS no matter where you are. Road conditions may vary from place to place, but assholes who run lights are pretty much universal.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I reckon traction control pays for itself by saving on tyre's. The amount of time my lights flashing on the dash its untrue. As mentioned if your not used to coordinating pumping your brakes while steering around an obstacle your best off with ABS, we are men lets face it and 2 things at once is not our speciality. God forbid your picking your nose at same time! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's not only traction control, it's stability control too... Meaning it has to do with more than just slippery roads (it helps you keep the car in the right direction when you "push the envelope" too much on a corner for example).
This was the reason I got my 'touring'.
And as this is not a dealer installable option, I'd rather skip all the goodies that can be bought afterwards and get those instead.
Best regards,
G.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I went with the touring model specifically for the DSC and side airbags. Central jersey iced up pretty bad last week. With the dsc i was able to actually get to a decent speed to be able to drive. Without the dsc my wheels were spinning like crazy. I do wish i would have bought a gt though. For some reason i really want the climate control.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Think of safety when you are choosing.........an accident happens so quickly, and none of us are invincible to having one. Only the uniformed foolish think it will never happen to them.
At least the Touring offers you side air bags in addition to the rest. When I read Consumer Guide and saw that without the side air bags they rated it poor in side impact results, that changed my mind on which model to buy. And I really like the 17" tires.........I know they cost much more, but for me it was an appearance issue. Plus I liked the the 2.3L engine, and I really liked the luminescent gauges that the Touring had.

·
Registered
259 Posts
[quote author=greyzoomer link=topic=66045.msg1188215#msg1188215 date=1170712776]
Think of safety when you are choosing.........an accident happens so quickly, and none of us are invincible to having one. Only the uniformed foolish think it will never happen to them.
At least the Touring offers you side air bags in addition to the rest. When I read Consumer Guide and saw that without the side air bags they rated it poor in side impact results, that changed my mind on which model to buy. And I really like the 17" tires.........I know they cost much more, but for me it was an appearance issue. Plus I liked the the 2.3L engine, and I really liked the luminescent gauges that the Touring had.
[/quote]

^ what he said
(airbags - id rather have' em and not need them, then need them and not have' em)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts