Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we haven't really hit a real summer season when I'll probably want A/C, but I've managed to survive in a car that doesn't have A/C for the past 2 years.

I'm wondering if the A/C makes a huge difference in cold weather driving (and if possible) warmer weather driving.

The reason being is that it's an extra 1000 dollars. To a student like myself... that's a lot of money. So I'm trying to "cut corners" (yes yes, I probably will regret it in some way or another) like skipping out on some options to make my monthly payments lower.

A/C tends to eat gas, right?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes it is worth it even in the winter months. When the HVAC controls are switched to the floor (feet) or any of the defrost modes the AC compressor is turned on. This is to take out some of the moisture in the cabin which will eventually led to your windows fogging. Moisture on the windows will cause fogging depending on the temperature of the air outside. You would be surprise how much moisture you give off just from normal respiration ( inhaling & exhaling). :eek:

Can tell you it clears the windows much faster than a system without AC. :D

·
Registered
773 Posts
Blahh!

Hey dugrant153,

I am in the same situation as you. I plan on leasing a 3 Sport but I wasn't sure which model to get. If you check the numbers the 3 Sport GS with A/C goes for the same price as the Sport GT with out A/C. But you get the 17'' wheels, rear spoiler, +2 tweeters, alarm system, leather style steering wheel, leather shift knob and maybe something else that I don't care about. So for me the choice is quite obvious, GT all the way!

My A/C history:

11year old Corolla with A/C, must of been used under 100 times.
11year old Protege with A/C, used twice this summer (only had it since April)
1year old Matrix with A/C, maybe 10-15times MAX

Conclusion

For me the $1000 + $100 (A/C special tax) is a waste. The extra gas is a waste, the gain of 4 seconds to take the moist off in the car is not valid enough, and finaly I like having my windows open in the summer while cruzing down the streets with my (future) Mz3.

I say "no" to A/C 8)

P.S Funny thing is my salesman is trying to "force" me to get it! lol! I guess he doesn't want to get stuck with a car that has no A/C after 3years (lease period). :wink:

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Just imagine being trapped on the freeway during summer at 32C with 80% humidity....you're sweating like a pig! You feel the heat of other cars surrounding you...then you look at your right and what do you see? Me with my A/C, closed windows and big grin on my face :shock:

Are you sure you don't want A/C..... :lol:

·
Registered
773 Posts
LoL!

Traffic: I barely drive downtown and if I do its to go out at night and therefore traffic is something quite RARE. So that situation does not apply to me.

32C + 80% humidity: Yes it gets hot and humid during summer, but paying $20 more a month for something we use... 2 months per year isn't worth it in my books.

Like I said, I used A/C twice during our last summer cuz I hate waiting 5minutes to cool down and then you got to suffer for those 5minutes with the windows up. ( 8) )

Its funny cuz I was with my buddies for the Superbowl tonight and they where all commenting on how I was dumb not to want A/C and saying I was a cheap ass. Now here I am discussing A/C once again! :lol:

·
Banned
868 Posts
I think it's worth it.

Imagine, if you were to drive a car with fogged up windows, because you are in a rush to get somewhere. It would be so hard to drive, and in fact, quite dangerous.....yet you HAVE to drive it with the fogged windows.

I think the benefits outweigh the potential damages that might accrue.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hehehhehehe, ya that happens alot in my 93' Protege. I never though of putting A/C though! I will try it ! HAhahahaaHah?!?! :shock:

I started my own post asking you guys: "Convince me to get A/C"

If you want to add some stuff.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jizoshula said:
File this under "Questions You'd Never Hear Asked in Texas"
LOL

well, I'll keep it all in mind. I guess my Corolla I have now has no A/C system, but it's still very quick at getting rid of the fog on the windows (but I gotta blast it... makes for a very warm drive). On the other hand, my dad's Stanza has a tough time getting rid of it all.

As for summer, I tend to drive faster and roll down my window... hehehe j/k (well, I *do* roll down my window).

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well, here in Indiana 39 Deg C is not uncommon in the summer months. There is a three month stretch where temperatures can hit that high and often do. Humidity is so much of a factor here they should start using a measurement to tell what the humidity makes the temperature feel like, like wind chill in the winter.

All in all, I find myself using my A/C about 5 months out of the year. More often than not, May to September. If you are getting leather seats on your Mazda3 then I would get A/C for sure.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I didn't know A/C was even an option any more. I thought it was standard on cars. Shows what I know.
Anyways, get the A/C. Definitely will help resale value down the road.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
You might not be able to sell a car w/out A/C in 5+ yrs from now. I certainly wouldn;t buy one.

But as a new purchase, I'm in the same boat too - I want A/C b/c I'll be going to work during rush hour and won't be able to wear shorts liek I do now when I go to school. On the other hand, I prefer opening the windows and sunroof (GS Sedan+SPORT+PWR), BUT I also NEED to show up at work fresh, not sweaty...

But it's also $20 more / mth....

Will get it - not by choice but b/c I HAVE to.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
csweeney said:
I didn't know A/C was even an option any more. I thought it was standard on cars. Shows what I know.
Anyways, get the A/C. Definitely will help resale value down the road.
That's what I thought. The Impreza offers A/C as standard.
The Nissan Sentra also offers it as standard (except for the lowest model, the lowest 1.8L).
The Toyota Corolla offers A/C as standard (except for the lower CE model).
The Honda Civic offers A/C as standard (except on the DX model).

Soooo... lets review. The following offer A/C as standard (except on the lowest models, which would be the equivalent of our GX or 3i trim):
-Subaru Impreza (offered on base model)
-Nissan Sentra
-Toyota Corolla
-Honda Civic

So.... as far as I know, one can only get A/C standard in the Mazda 3 Sport GT. Is it just me, or did Mazda just miss something?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Didn't miss a thing - you want A/C? Pay for it - more $ for Mazda, less for you. And even like that, the price is competitive w/those other cars.

·
Registered
98 Posts
AC is hella worth it. like bman said it helps defrost the windows a lot faster. as for me, i use the AC 360 days a year. the other 5 days i got my windows down 8)

i just hope the AC is powerful.

and that can also be another feature that mazda should use for next year...AC on the steering wheel!

·
Registered
773 Posts
When I bought my last car, AC was a requirement. Any time you're near LA county, you need AC. Hell, the moonroof is a great thing just because on most of the days this past month, I've left it tilted to vent out the interior, which takes the load off of the AC, but come summer, the AC will be back in action full-time. Also, I don't know how the options work in Canada, but in the US, on the lower i model, to get a modicum of power accessories requires AC, it's all part of the power package. In summation, a NAV system is an expensive option. AC is not an option if you ever see hot weather. And when you decide to sell the car, it really does make a big difference in resale value.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dinu01 said:
Didn't miss a thing - you want A/C? Pay for it - more $ for Mazda, less for you. And even like that, the price is competitive w/those other cars.
I guess I'm just cheap then :p

·
Registered
773 Posts
I am glad its an option, because our climate unlike yours (people from down south) is cold here for 7 to 8months a year! Its $1000 in Mazda's pockets and the old A/C system wasn't safe for the environment in the past. It sucks more gas and finally for those who can't stand A/C (Allergy or respitory problems) can chose not to get something they won't use!

I do have to admit I though A/C was purely to cool you down during warm days. But the added utility of taking the moist and what not is somewhat a bonus. But is it that big of a deal? No! I really really don't think so. My dad and I drove the Corolla for 11 years and we never used the A/C for those things and it was fine. I guess Toyota has a better vent. system then other cars, so we didn't have to worry about that. :lol:

My 2 cents.

Mazda / Toyota Power!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Adding...

I forgot to add something else...

I noticed alot of people where saying that they wouldn't consider buying a car with out A/C and that the resale value would be lower. I do agree these days you can't really buy a car that does not have A/C since most cars do come with it.

But...

I am "LEASING" the car!

So what do I care if he gets stuck with a car with no A/C! Right? :p

1 - 20 of 50 Posts