Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an alpine head unit with an RMS of around 17. They sounded pretty loud with the volume set at 13-15. Now, i have a kenwood head unit with an RMS of 22. With the volume set to 15, the sound is low, way lower than the alpines. I usually have to set the volume to 20 to get the kenwood a little loud. I was assuming the kenwood would've been louder since it's RMS is higher. Do you think my head unit is insalled incorrectly or something???

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The number on the gain of an amp is just there for your own reference. So a "10" on one amp even of the same output power is not the same as a "10" level on different brand/model of amp, even when both have the same rated power.

Some amps can be played without clipping with the volume set all of the way up, such as the OEM head unit, which doesn't clip even turned all of the way up, at least with my Focal speakers.

Most amps will start clipping on normal volume music when the gain (volume) is set just past halfway.

So if your amp sounds as loud as you want it to play without clipping, then it has enough power. If it doesn't have satisfactory volume before you notice clipping distortion, it may either be a wimpy amp, or (less likely) you don't have thick enough power wires going from the battery to the amp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts