Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FWD and with all that torque steer.....the reason i ask becuz my ms3 is basicly my weekend warriors car....and this is my first year going to track and soloII......what do i need to pay attention to....any pointer?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
torque steer...... what torque steer ?? it is almost non existant. the tires break loose long before the cars gets a chance to have torque steer. i think it will make a great track car... i think that was what mazda had in mind when they built it. my advice.....keep the revs between 3k-6k and it should haul ass around any track !!

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
yeah i have only had torque steer like twice but only when i have the steering wheel slightly turned and i put the hammo down!. and track car? hell yeah. all that structural reinforcement, lower stance, etc. will smoke damn near any compact that wants to challenge you except maybe the hardcore evo's and sti's. i have taken this thing around some corners pretty quick and it sticks to the road really well. just get a little bit wider tire/rim with a better tire and you should tear that track up!

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
should be a solid autox car as well (solo, previously called solo2)
if you plan to race with scca rules I suggest you stay with it in a stock class, if you put it into street touring you will be up against sti's and evos with similar mods and unless you can drive the shit outta the car good luck being in the same timezone (however it is possible!) and forget about going into a mod class unless you really know wtf you are doing.
read up on the rules before you mod the car or you may find yourself sorry that you did a particular mod and now you are in a class you have little chance of winning.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
get that suspension upgrade from MAzda. read some review about how this dude was going 20 to 30mph faster into turns with it.
also, I must say getting some 235's is definately going to help.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx for all the inputs....i'll find out this sunday.....gonna try not finish last.....hate being a rookie....but i guess everyone is rookie once....

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
without going into too much details....i found ms3 stock class is DS....what/how many modd can i change before i going into street touring...?

·
Registered
443 Posts
[quote author=udontknowajck link=topic=67857.msg1169425#msg1169425 date=1169773014]
without going into too much details....i found ms3 stock class is DS....what/how many modd can i change before i going into street touring...?
[/quote]

Here's a PDF copy of the 2007 rulebook.

http://www.scca.org/_FileLibrary/File/2007SoloRules.pdf

I haven't autox'ed in over a year, but from what I remember about stock class, you can change shocks, cat-back exhaust, tires, and front sway bar. There's definitely more that's outlined in the rulebook.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
[quote author=udontknowajck link=topic=67857.msg1169425#msg1169425 date=1169773014]
[/quote]
let me lay it out in plain english, because this is a debate ive been swimming in my head for well over 3 months now.

Stock class allowances:
-lightweight rim (rim must remain stock size 18x7 and offset cannot differ more than +/- .25" so you can basically go in or out 6mm from our +52.5 stock rim)
-Cat back exhaust
-shocks (springs must remain stock)
-front sway bar (rear must remain stock)
-R compound tires any width and profile
-racing harness (must retain stock seats)

Street Touring Ultra (STU) allowances:
-Intake
-Cat Back exhaust
-High Flow Cat
-Any sized rim, width must not exceed 8"
-275 tires with a wear rating no lower than 140 (street tires, thus the name "street touring")
-engine management (boost levels must remain stock)
-sway bars
-any sping/shock combo or coilovers as long as it retains the stock mounting points
-camber adjustments (camber plates, adjustable control arm)
-racing seats (no lighter than 15lbs)
-harnesses
-CF/alum hood
-engine mounts/bushings
-debadged emblems/trim (cant debage in stock, dont ask why)

may have forgotten a few tiny allowances in the ST class, but thats basically it
If its not on the list, you cant do it.

other cars that will have similar mods that will race in STU..... RX-8, STI, EVO, BMW M3 (E36, not E46) (new WRX with the 2.5 liter engine will be here for 07) and those are basically the only cars, I shit you not, but maybe we will see a brave soul MS3 there next year, but not sure I want to be the test kitten in 07 and then realize I should have kept the car in stock to be competitive.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
damn....alrite order cai....gonna be street touring....and going against some tough evo's and sti.....my ass is gonna be sored after sunday....first day autocross goal....DONT FINISH LAST...and just have some fun with my ms3

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Just get a ECU helper (Cobb,.XeDE, CPE) and play stupid

That really sucks that stock allows CB but not Intake, should be oposite for me :)

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=67857.msg1169631#msg1169631 date=1169780967]
Just get a ECU helper (Cobb,.XeDE, CPE) and play stupid

That really sucks that stock allows CB but not Intake, should be oposite for me :)
[/quote]

You could do this, but if you are a noob, the extra power wont be a help at all, and if you take yourself seriously you wont do this. if you take racing to a national level, there are ways to figure out what your up to. If you race locally, you can lie all you want and feel like an ass for cheating. obviously up to the end user.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i totally agree that extra power is not gonna help a noobie like me....not gonna cheat about it even if i have tuner....once u are marked as a cheater....word will go around....thats not what this is about....its about fun first....and if i enjoy it....i will go full blow...trick up the suspenson....all this talk....i cant wait to get my hands dirty

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
haha

I would try to stay in stock, unless i was way ahead of everyone then would goto the tuner option

Kinda like when i bike raced, i got good and started winning or Top5'in the entry level so i went to intermediate and always got in the middle or at the bottem, but i felt better about it

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
This advanced engine is Mazda's own flagship design based on a turbocharged 16-valve, DOHC 2.3-liter with integrated direct injected spark ignition (DISI) architecture. A heavily modified turbo MZR engine, featuring a similar DISI design, powers current NHRA Sport Compact ProFWD Champion Ed Bergenholtz's .
quoted from sportcompactcar web.com
...................:eh: that's ... a..lot... 1400hp......:eh: hrmm wander what it would take to get just half that? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I played around a little bit in some empty parking lots trying to get a feel for how the car will do in SoloII. I realized one thing right away. Throttle position tied to Steering angle sucks!

I used the parking lines as markers for corners, and tried a few different things. First was to make really smooth turns. At first it worked ok, but as I tightened up the radius of the corners, I was having a really hard time keeping a constant speed because I actually had to give it more gas to compensate for the ECU pulling throttle. Pushing the car to the limit of traction, I'd often either give it too much gas and understeer, or not enough, and by the end of the corner the car is going really slow. I tried running a few decreasing radius turns, and they were really hard. The more the wheel turns, the more the throttle gets pulled, and it felt like I was fighting the ECU the whole time.

Trying a slow in-fast out approach worked a bit better, but depending on the corner I'd fall off boost sometimes (again because the ECU is pulling throttle), and then exit speed would be crappy :(

I think with some more practice I could get used to the computer, and be able to compensate for it better, but I'd rather just disable the damned thing. I don't know if XEDE/Cobb do this (I know they do fix the boost drop in 1st/2nd).

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Did you turn of DSC?

That is why i mention with a chip (Xede, COBBap, CPE)
To get rid of the limiters for more free flowing throttle

·
Registered
178 Posts
Tried it both ways. DSC on is even worse cause you have the ECU trying to help you (ie slow you down) make the corner. Everything I described was with DSC off.

·
Registered
229 Posts
[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=67857.msg1169605#msg1169605 date=1169779982]
-racing harness (must retain stock seats)[/quote]

Keep in mind that while this is legal with the SCCA, in many states it is illegal to use harnesses in a street vehicle, and for good reason. In a car without a rollcage, harnesses can be dangerous. In the unlikely event that your car does manage to roll over, a harness will keep you firmly upright causing a very real risk of serious injury if the roof caves. With a standard seatbelt, you can slip to the side, greatly reducing the risk of death.

Don't get me wrong, I've autocrossed and a good seat and harness makes a world of difference. The chance of a vehicle rolling over nowadays without a curb or shoulder entering the equation is extremely slim, I just think you should be aware of the risk. An alternative to harnesses would be to pull your seatbelt as tight as possible, then snatch it back to lock it into place. If you can't get it tight enough this way, have a friend push your seat forward while you pull the seat-reclining lever. With seats like our cars have, a "poor man's harness" like this would work quite well, and avoid the risks stated above.

Totally your call, and I highly doubt you would ever regret it either way.

/psa :lol:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts