Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Manual mode just when you wanna have a fun drive? Because you are supposed to get the best mpg if you shift as soon as possible right?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda3 2.0 w preferred package, deep dark blue
217 Posts
I have driven both the manumatic on a '06 '3 rental and have a 07 manual trans.

To me, the manualmatic thingy is mostly for fun. It does allow you some ctrl over gears, but it is just a glorified auto trans...more-or-less.

Still, does NOT = a real manual trans both in principle and operation -imho.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Driving in snow, and on steep hilly areas. And for fun I guess...but it would be better to have an actual manual trans for that. :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
It depends on what kind of driving you are doing. I try to keep my rpms around 2,000 for most driving and might delay the shifting if necessary, or if I have something heavy in the car, I use a lower gear. I try not to use 5th gear unless I'm dribing steady for a while in town.

·
Registered
601 Posts
having a manumatic/semi-auto is slightly helpful when driving in snow, but i would say it's mostly for spirited driving, because of the way it's programmed. if you try to use it like a real manual you just end up getting frustrated. i have enough of a curb on my driveway that i have to slow down to just faster than stopped, and when i had a real stick i would always pull in using second, but the semi auto does not allow that under any circumstance, causing a slightly violent jerk when it catches first and i'm still rolling. it's also frustrating in the snow because it sometimes defaults back to first when you stop, but there is no rhyme or reason as to when it will and when it won't go back to first.
my frustrations are amplified right now because i just test drove a speed3 and have been suffering clutch pedal withdrawal ever since.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda3 2.0 w preferred package, deep dark blue
217 Posts
I would also like to add that a "manumatic" virtually negates heel & toe downshifting. Something that is essential and very fun to do in a manual trans.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I hate using a clutch, even though I can do it in my sleep. It's irritating to me.
So having a manumatic shifter is great. I can get that "control" now and then when I feel it is necessary, but don't have to use a god-forsaken clutch all the time.

·
Registered
693 Posts
For me, with hand controls, which are to operate the gas and brake with my left hand, using manual mode can be done under some conditions. I always wanted to drive a stick, but can't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts