Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find this answered anywhere, has anyone added TPMS to a 2004 Mazda3 that did not originally come with TPMS?

Is the receiving portion wired in every car with the need to just add sensors to the wheels?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Highly doubt it. Why would you want that mess anyway? Keep a tire pressure gauge in your glove box and check them every other day.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
In dash, probably not. You'd probably need an ECU swap to drive the gauge cluster.

There are a number of aftermarket systems that will do TPMS, though. Usually there's a supplemental display/receiver unit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did some additional searching and found a Mazda TSB showing the components of the system and it looks like there is a TPMS control module behind the gauge cluster.

I'm doubting it comes on everycar but, I'm wondering if this module can be simply plugged in to the existing harness.

Anyone ever take the gauge cluster out and see the TPMS control module?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
[quote author=moneypit link=topic=137416.msg2962752#msg2962752 date=1235661220]
I did some additional searching and found a Mazda TSB showing the components of the system and it looks like there is a TPMS control module behind the gauge cluster.

I'm doubting it comes on everycar but, I'm wondering if this module can be simply plugged in to the existing harness.

Anyone ever take the gauge cluster out and see the TPMS control module?
[/quote]

If you do not have the module, chances are, that wiring harness was made before the TPMS was made mandatory. That would mean there is no existing connector for that control module. Also, the proper self-diagnosis would not be installed.

During driving, the TPMS receives the signal transmitted from the sensor in each of the 4 wheels and turns on the low pressure warning lamp when the tire pressure becomes low. Our (Nissans...not Mazda) control unit (BCM) for this system has preset pressure "judgements" and self-diagnosis functions.

Long story short, you could probably create an entirely seperate and custom system far quicker than integrating it into a vehicle that was not originally equipped as such.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
[quote author=MicaGT link=topic=137416.msg2963261#msg2963261 date=1235675059]
If you do not have the module, chances are, that wiring harness was made before the TPMS was made mandatory. That would mean there is no existing connector for that control module. Also, the proper self-diagnosis would not be installed.
[/quote]

TPMS became mandatory in 2008, but the GTs had TPMS long before then. Maybe one of the dealers here can run down the part number for the harness and check if there were different ones for the GTs and non-GTs prior to 2008.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked up a set of MazdaSpeed3 wheels that happened to have TPMS and was hoping it would be an easy retrofit. But, it looks like this will be more trouble than it's worth.

My tires are being mounted tomorrow, I think I'll just pull the TPMS from the wheels and sell it.

Thanks to all that replied.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=137416.msg2963852#msg2963852 date=1235690325]
I think that's a good call. Those sensors go for a pretty penny too!
[/quote]

Indeed...you can get some of your money back that you spent on the wheels. Consider that a bonus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts