Mazda3 Forums banner

Is it just me—or are Quick-Struts impossible to find?

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  madmatt2024 
#1 ·
I've been looking all day long now and everyone from O'Reilly's to Advanced Auto, RockAuto, PartsTrain, and everyone in between ... none of them seem to have front struts (only) for a 2008 Speed3.

Is this just me?

I'm trying to do this as efficiently as possibly, cost-wise, because I'm about to take a big trip (20 hour drive) and my fronts are a little weepy.
So I started searching for these elusive quick-struts because the spring compressor makes me a nervous wreck due to horror stories of shooting the damn thing through a building (literally).

I can't seem to find these front quick-struts anywhere.
The rears were done about six months ago or so...

Thoughts?

#4 ·
So... I'm starting to feel retarded.

I've been looking for quick-struts, but this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5QPfPGgm4s doesn't use a spring compressor at all...
Am I totally being an idiot about this? Do you not need one at all? Both myself and my super-mechanic (dealership friend) were under the impression that you'd need a spring compressor?

Someone save me from myself...

Yes, I also know that the video is a Mazda 3. Is that why he's not using a compressor? I feel like I'm totally fuckered up at the moment, flustered 110% with my insane life right now.

#7 ·
#6 ·
Quick struts are only made by KYB for a Mazda 3 NA.Just rent a spring compressors, it's fairly straightforward.. It is really not that hard, most spring compressor auto store would let you borrow are good quality ones..

#8 ·
Honestly you are better off just renting and using a spring compressor. Just take your time with them and you will be fine.

It will also be cheaper as you can re-use your stock springs as they are not typically a wear item. I have used 2 types of spring compressors on a Mazda 3 strut without an issues. I actually own a set of compressors because I believe it is nice to have them around.

Only thing with using a compressor means you will need a drop-end socket for the top strut nut which is recessed into the mount. Plenty of good walkthroughs here to get this done simply and safely.

#10 ·
You aren't typically going to find quick struts for a special performance version of any vehicle. While the quick strut for the standard version will probably fit the spring rate, ride height, and possibly dampening will be different. Trust me, spring compressors aren't nearly as scary once you actually use them, you typically don't have to compress the spring that much to install it anyway. If you are worried just take the assemblies to a shop and have them swap out the struts. Then ideally you should have an alignment afterwards because the holes for the top mounts are slotted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.