Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2004 Mazda3s and I'm in the market for a 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 Sport.
Would it be better to trade in my vehicle to the dealership or sell it individually myself?
I've been into 2 accidents before and the car is currently modded.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you're able to sell it privately to another enthusiast, that's probably your best option. That way you won't have to take parts off, and you might get a more reasonable price for it since they would see mods as a good thing.

A dealership won't give you a better price for it with mods on it, so I would sell it to someone looking for a modded car or part it out and then sell the car. You'll get a better price selling privately in either case.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
take your mods off and sell them seperately. Otherwise you are just throwing that $ away. You'll never get more for a modded car.

·
Registered
209 Posts
2 Accidents? If your car has a Rebuilt Title, then you probably will have difficulties selling the car. If the car has Active title then you will have a better chance of selling the car. Anyway, no one wants to buy a modded car, they prefer it stock. If I were you I would probably go to the dealership and see what they might give me for the car, after that I will try to sell mine at a higher price, if I don't succeed I will trade in the car.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Take your mods off and trade it in.

When you trade, you pay sales tax on the balance due, not the entire purchase price of the car. This can add up to a lot of money.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
danielj makes a good point, but I'd say you should crunch the numbers first. It's quite possible that the difference in amount you'd get selling the car private party vs. trading in could be big enough to offset the decrease in tax.

For example, say you want to buy a $20k car. At 7% tax, the total amount you'd pay would be $21,400. If your old car is worth $10k as a trade-in, that effectively makes the new car cost $10k, so with tax you'd pay $10,700 for the new car. However, if you can sell your old car for $12k private party, you'd effectively only pay $9400 for the new car ($21,400 - 12,000). The higher the tax rate in your state, the more you'd have to sell the car for private party to make it advantageous.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taking off the mods is such a pain the a**. Unfortunately, the exhaust system will stay on because the original was so rusted though it was thrown away. I'm afraid with all the little dings and paint issues (rusting under top coat when the car was re-painted) the car's value really isn't on the top of that scale.

I was thinking of re-painting her completely, but if I plan to get a different car in a year or 2 anyways, I feel as if it won't be worth it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Private party is usually best when you have a nice car that is in demand. With a car in poor-fair condition like yours, you might be better off trading it in. Having tons of people come look at your car just to decide not to buy it because of defects in a huge waste of time. Another option is selling it to Carmax. You should at least see what Carmax would offer you.

Something that a lot of people don't realize is that many states give you a sales tax credit if you sell a car and then buy a replacement within 120 days so trading your car in isn't the only way to avoid paying sales tax on the full purchase price of the new vehicle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Trade in is hassle free, but you should not expect to recover much. Private party is the good way to have gain more money, but it takes time and effort.

I tried to sell my 08 350z privately and it was just not easy(alot of potential buyers but it was tough to get to the point where we can agree on pricing).
So, I just took my Z to mazda dealer and trade in for MZ3 5 sport for $0 down, 0% APR, 90 day no payment, $1,000 rebate which reduced my monthly payment really low. I am happy

·
Registered
86 Posts
[quote author=bijou-ms3 link=topic=174456.msg3736703#msg3736703 date=1279827595]
Trade in is hassle free, but you should not expect to recover much. Private party is the good way to have gain more money, but it takes time and effort.

I tried to sell my 08 350z privately and it was just not easy(alot of potential buyers but it was tough to get to the point where we can agree on pricing).
So, I just took my Z to mazda dealer and trade in for MZ3 5 sport for $0 down, 0% APR, 90 day no payment, $1,000 rebate which reduced my monthly payment really low. I am happy
[/quote]

I have a very similar story. I, too, ended up trading in my 08 350z at Mazda for my 3. It was easy, no hassle, but definitely wouldn've recouped at least an extra 1000-2000 extra had I sold privately. The question is...how hard do you wanna work for an extra 1-2k?

·
Registered
10 Posts

[tr]
[td]I have a very similar story. I, too, ended up trading in my 08 350z at Mazda for my 3. It was easy, no hassle, but definitely wouldn've recouped at least an extra 1000-2000 extra had I sold privately. The question is...how hard do you wanna work for an extra 1-2k?[/td]
[/tr]

Quite true on this last comment -- my current '06 Mazda3 GT 5-door was what resulted from a trade-in of a '98 VW New Beetle TDI; it was a diesel which actually helped on the trade but not many folks drive a stick so would have been harder to sell privately. The kicker was that it was in pretty decent shape (the dealer was a VW/Mazda one so he had serviced it a few times) but they could tell it had some minor paint work done -- don't know what they ended up getting but was listed for $3K more than my trade value but with the big discount on the 3 and less sales tax paid I still came out at about what I wanted out-the-door. I've sold some other cars in the past that simply would not be traded in (both classics; a '55 Chevy and '74 Corvette convertible) and others that were simply cheap transportation (an '81 Corolla for $1,500 and '88 VW Fox for $4,000 at the time) but in both of these cases, the new car dealer offered 'token' trade in values ($250 for the Corolla and $900 for the Fox) as they were not interested so as always it depends on the situation but if I had to do it again would simply trade the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Considering the accidents and the other blemishes you might have, trading in is your best option for selling the car relatively quickly. However, you should consider the value of your mods and since you won't be taking them off, doing a numbers crunch may be in order. try to sell privately for a month or so then trade in if it doesn't sell.

·
Registered
366 Posts
[quote author=Dantzig link=topic=174456.msg3732645#msg3732645 date=1279560358]
Private party is usually best when you have a nice car that is in demand. With a car in poor-fair condition like yours, you might be better off trading it in. Having tons of people come look at your car just to decide not to buy it because of defects in a huge waste of time. Another option is selling it to Carmax. You should at least see what Carmax would offer you.

Something that a lot of people don't realize is that many states give you a sales tax credit if you sell a car and then buy a replacement within 120 days so trading your car in isn't the only way to avoid paying sales tax on the full purchase price of the new vehicle.
[/quote]

Carmax typically will not accept vehicles that have been in an accident of any kind. They don't want to be held liable if something happens and a past accident is the reason; therefore, someone could argue they were sold an unsafe product. This is the case with the ones in Maryland because when I took mine in to get a quote that was the first thing they asked me before they told me that policy. Could be different in other states though. Just have to remember even with a carmax they aren't going to buy it from you for the kelley blue book price you looked up right before you went in there. You're going to get an offer less than that because they have to make money of the car as well when they re-sell it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
lots of great comments here. The dealer will likely try to rape you. BUT on the other hand. they will pretty much take the car for as little as it's worth anyway, no questions asked. all they want is to get you into a new car, they will deal with your car's resale later, or more likely send it to one of their smaller dealers that sell used cars. It's a lose lose situation in a way lol. But if you don't mind taking a hit, just trade it. It's easy and before you know it your driving a new car. I say remove the mods and sell on here first tho, because you will lose that $ either route in my opinion. Sure some "enthusiast" might offer u more because u have modded it, but I doubt it. I wouldn't pay more for a car that someone else ripped apart and fucked with lol, I wanna do that myself. I say take it to the dealer and get them to run numbers and try make u a great deal, u can always say no lol.
good luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you sell to some private wally and he rips the bag off it in 2 days he is going to be at your door whining. Go to the dealer, tell him what you want and he comes close, trade it. no worries, no comebacks, its on them. I just dont think its worthth the hassle to sell yourself, especially an older economy car like yours.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It depends greatly on the condition and age of your car. At a certain point the trade in values just become a joke. I sold my old car for triple what they offered in trade in. The kicker? The ad was up for 1 day and it sold to the very first person that came to look at it the next day.

Fact is trade ins don't really care about what kind of shape your car is in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
your lucky you got no comebacks. This is not a collector car its almost a beater, not going to get too much for it anyway.

·
Registered
833 Posts
OK here is what you do. Try take out the fact that this is your car, now think of a FAIR honest price you would like to sell this for. Would you buy it at this price in a heartbeat? or would you have to think about it. Chances are you would have to think about it. Either trade it in OR talk to a dealer about trading it in, when they tell you the low ass trade in value, put it on the market for 1 or 2 k more. If the trade in is really THAT bad, your car shld sell in a few weeks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts