Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when washing the car, does using a high pressure hose (like ones at a touchless car wash) damage the paint/body of a car?

does anyone know the longterm affects on the car (ie: dulling, loss of lustre, or removes wax faster than normal), of using high pressure water hoses?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Better!

High pressure, better. It won't cause swirls and all that nasty crap,especially on the black model!

Basically, if it's good high pressure touchless, you're good to go.

Wax your car every 6 months with something like Maguire's or Zymol. You'll be glad ya did. This way, you can blast that thang.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I've heard that using high pressure hoses is bad b/c it forces the dirt and crap into the paint, but I've had better results using the high pressure hoses to clean my car than using a regular hose. My car looks way better when I clean it at the places with the high pressure hoses (and I have a black car). No problems here with using them.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
When talking about high pressure hoses, does the same also apply to the Simoniz pressure washers (those ones that shoot with a ton of force and can clean walls pretty easily?)?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, i don't know how those Simoniz ones are.
i'm talking about the do-it-yourself carwashes. it usually costs like $2, and it works well.
but i was just wondering if its bad, cuz it sprays really hard.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Just be careful on which direction you wash and dry on. You wanna go the same way the paint is applied (thanks ATL) which is from the front of the car to the back. Mine has some swirls, but I don't really care, you can't see them that much usually. They were there when I bought the car *shrug*.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The swirls are caused by the circular rubbing motion of the glove as you wash. Basically the sand and grit that is on the paint gets ground in as you are doing this. A touchless car wash should never cause this. If you don't want swirls then wash in a linear motion. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i've heard in addition to the fact that touchless doesn't get your car as clean as handwashing (though you forgo the ugly swirls) that the soap they use is super powerfull and can wind up fading your paintjob (especially on darker colors) I heard a horror story (which could be an urban myth) that a dude had a jet black beamer brought it to a touchless carwash and it broke while his car was halfway through and the car sat there for 15 minutes with the soap on it and when it came through the soap had literally eaten away large portions of the paint.. things to keep in mind when looking for a quick clean

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
The DIY washes are the best, you can use low pressure first to get some soap in the dirt and break it up a little and take a little of the abrasiveness out of it, then you do some high pressure.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've used the wand washes for many years now and never had any untoward issues with them. In fact the city doesn't even want people hand washing their cars in their driveways anymore and I understand it's a fine if you wash them on the street. Mainly for environmental reasons I guess.

I clay bar once a year (typically) and wax at least once a year and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Pressure washers don't affect the cars paint in any way. Just do it from a distance. I wash my dad's 03 Camry and 01 Mercedes ML55AMG all the time. I also wash my mom's Audi with it and her minivan. So I believe that it is just as effective as a good car wash.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mr. Clean auto dry car wash

Anyone tried the Mr. Clean car washing system that allows you to skip hand drying because the water sheets off? It's because the filter removes minerals from the water. Anyway, I got one at Wal Mart & I like it. I just don't like washing a car by hand - it takes too long. I figure I'll be back at the do-it-yourself carwash before long.

Still, I think the Mr. Clean is cool. I'll use it if I'm not suffering from inertia (you know, couch potato syndrome).

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I used the Mr. Clean ( http://www.autodry.com ) a few weeks ago. Either I'm using it wrong, or it lies on the box. It says that you should get three washes out of the starter kit - I got about one and a half.

However, I was very impressed with the clean that it did, even if it took a long time to wash all the crud off. Even harder was rinsing/scrubing all the damn brake dust off the back wheels.

However, true to the ad, it left a spot free shine. However, in 45 degree weather and no direct sunlight, it took about 7 hours to completly dry, allowing some dirt to settle and spot. However, if sure did beat trying to dry properly.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
I used the Mr. Clean ( http://www.autodry.com ) a few weeks ago. Either I'm using it wrong, or it lies on the box. It says that you should get three washes out of the starter kit - I got about one and a half.

However, I was very impressed with the clean that it did, even if it took a long time to wash all the crud off. Even harder was rinsing/scrubing all the damn brake dust off the back wheels.

However, true to the ad, it left a spot free shine. However, in 45 degree weather and no direct sunlight, it took about 7 hours to completly dry, allowing some dirt to settle and spot. However, if sure did beat trying to dry properly.
sweeet my friend bought that too and we're waiting for him to try it...so in your eyes it really works?? haha thats great news! and what crud did you have on your car?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Let's just say that I finally know what color my car is now.. ;)

No, it's not a bad device. The nozzle is HUGE and can cause your wrist to become tired if you overuse it. Also, the water pressure that it puts out lacks some of the strength that I'd of desired, but it's not bad at all. I'm concerned about the life cycle of the product, whether it changes/simplifies in a year or they discontinue it for lack of interest. I'm going to stock up on a few filters and soap.

But I certainly recommend it to anyone that doesn't like worrying about streaks, spots, or little fuzzies everywhere. And has a little patience - both for getting the hang of washing, and the time for letting it dry.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've always had success w/ this routine:

1) Go to car wash and use high pressure nozzle to blast off all dirt and grime w/ plain water (no soap)

2) I bring my bucket, wash mit, and decent quality car soap and then hand wash it real quick like

3) Rinse off the soap immediately w/ the plain water again

4) Chamois dry and it looks great!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
neoriffic said:
4) Chamois dry and it looks great!
I have bad luck with Chamois.. ")

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I use one of those "Absorber" synthetic chamois cloths. I like that you can wash it in the washer, and you can store it in its container damp.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Having used a "real" pressure washer on several occasions, I would definitely say it's in a class separate from the "high pressure" water at a car wash - granted, they are higher than a normal hose... but a real pressure washer will strip old paint off of siding, take a thin layer off of bricks, and draw blood if you hit yourself with it. It is probably fine from a distance, but I would still stick to the car wash high pressure rather than using a normal pressure washer.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i hope that Wal-Mart in Canada is carrying that Mr Clean stuff. I really want to try it.

I too have heard that constant high pressure washes isnt good for the overall clearcoat/lustre of your car.

I think the people who said use high pressure from a distance have a good idea...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts