Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Every1,

I recently just purchased a MS3 w/ Extended Warranty for 6 year/75000 miles for extra $1599.00. Now I'm kinda regretted because people are saying warranty will not work if the car is modified. Also, for the maintenance, like oil change, do I have to do it at the dealer in order to keep the warranty valid?

Can any1 please school me more about Warranty/Extended Warranty?

And, how many of you purchased extended warranty? Do you think it's necessary or just waste of money?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Extended warrenty does not "work" either if modified or schedule is not precise

Most "extended" warrenties have a more strict maintance schedule and proof required then the mazda warrenty

FYI when i bought my 2004 Mazda3 the dealer scammed me into a "exteneded" warrenty, took the papers home and read the "fine" print, it was bs with bs on the top and bottem of the paper, i called 2 days later and demanded a full refund... which i got
They asked me again when i bought the MS3... i just poliety told them to put the papers back in the draw and not to mention it

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long do I have for a full refund?

Some1 say 60 days. Is that right?

And since this car has all imported parts, is $1599.00 worth a peace of mind?

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Its pro-rated so your refund matters on when you return it, it might have a expiration date where you cannot get anything back but that really depends on what company and the contract

Not worth it to me IMO, unless you do NO mods, and follow the maintenance schedule accordingly
Just have the factory warrenty, thats free

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
Just to add a quick note about extended warranties, especially "aftermarket" ones (not manufacturer endorsed)... if you read the fine print you will find that most of them say that they can (and will) repair your vehicle with salvage parts. For example, one of my clients had a Yukon with 72k and the transmission failed, the warranty company wanted to replace his transmission with a used unit that had 70k on it. Get your money back if you can and put it in an interest bearing savings account, you can use it later if you encounter any problems.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
extended warranty isnt very good for our cars. It actually doesnt cover much stuff with the disi engine and if you mod the car at all or fail to follow the maintenance schedule you will see just how bad you got screwed.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Yeah good idea

Take that $1600 and put it into a new savings account, when your factory warrenty warrenty expires in 3-4 years you will earn a little interest but it will be there to knock out a repair or at least cover most of the bill

·
Registered
31,080 Posts
It's not a waste if you plan on putting a lot of miles on the car quickly and cannot afford any unexpected bills.

Some extended warranties also put a cap on labor charges for out-of-warranty repairs, so that's cool too.
It's always been my understanding that they cannot void the warranty unless they can prove that the modifications could have contributed to the failure, so for instance, if your engine fails, they can't blame your springs...in this case, it all depends on how much modding you're planning to do.

Also, I think the Mazda extended warranties have different levels of coverage, so it's hard to say if you got a bad deal unless you know all the details. If you have a model with all the bells and whistles, it nice to have those things covered (like the sunroof...) Some plans even have maintenance or oil changes included.

One tip is to shop around for extended warranties rather than taking what's offered, or negotiate the price. It might not be too late to revoke that part of the contract like Mattleegee...then you can take your time and shop around.

I actually got an extended warranty because I use the 3 for a 80 mile/day commute and was keeping the 240sx for fun. I didn't want a 2-year old car that was already out of warranty and it'll make the car that much easier to sell down the line (if I ever do). I didn't plan to modify the car much until these forum bastards corrupted me! :p

I got 10 years/100,000 miles with a $100 labor + parts cap on any repairs not covered under warranty, free tow and roadside assistance anywhere, free rental car up to $30/day.... I won't know if it was a waste until I hit 100K or sell the car.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
[quote author=two3kk link=topic=67236.msg1155067#msg1155067 date=1169084412]
Hello Every1,

I recently just purchased a MS3 w/ Extended Warranty for 6 year/75000 miles for extra $1599.00. Now I'm kinda regretted because people are saying warranty will not work if the car is modified. Also, for the maintenance, like oil change, do I have to do it at the dealer in order to keep the warranty valid?

Can any1 please school me more about Warranty/Extended Warranty?

And, how many of you purchased extended warranty? Do you think it's necessary or just waste of money?

Thanks!
[/quote]

I took the 100,000 mile extended warranty for $1700 (actually came out to around 2k - don't ask me how)until I learned the factory powertrain warranty went beyond the 36,000 miles to 60,000 and the federal emissions warranty went to 80,000. So I gave it back and said shove it. The finance guy at the dealer only mentioned the 36k bumper to bumper but not the others so I got suckered into taking it but the good news is that you can give it back and get refunded in full (they apply it to the loan balance). Also remember, you can still purchase an extended warranty before the factory one expires later on.

·
Registered
31,080 Posts
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=67236.msg1155123#msg1155123 date=1169086712]
Yeah good idea

Take that $1600 and put it into a new savings account, when your factory warrenty warrenty expires in 3-4 years you will earn a little interest but it will be there to knock out a repair or at least cover most of the bill
[/quote]

you guys do have to remember that he did not have the $1600 before he bought the car.

He's currently paying that back little by little and paying interest on it, which is bad, but it's not like he handed over 1600 bucks that would otherwise be in his savings account earning interest if he opted out of the extended warranty. I guess getting a cash refund on the warranty would be like getting a cash back rebate. Hey free money for modding!

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
oh he added it to the loan...

even better think about the interest savings onf $1600 over the 3-7 years of your payments?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
My insurance covers all mechanical problems on my car for 7years/100k and it only has a $250 deductable and it doesn't cost me any extra.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
i just cancel my extended warranty....my dealer is refunding the full amount...which is $1880....i was dumb for getting it in the first place...after a month owning the car....i know thats no way i will meet this car stock for 7 years.....so bye bye extended warranty

·
Registered
22 Posts
I checking into extended warranties a bit. To justify the price of an extended warranty, you would need to have several pretty expensive repairs, but this post is really about price shopping. The big difference is in the Mazda Extended Protection Plan (MEPP) vs. what I term the "alternate insurers." The upside of going with an alt insurer is that the prices are about 25% lower. The downside is potential acceptance issues at other dealers (although when I asked about this, they all said that it would not be a problem...) and the non-genuine replacement part issue. Here is what I found at a variety of dealers. Some I know from living in Atlanta and some were board sponsors and one I found in a google search (Morande Lincoln-Mercury):

dealer "Morande Lincoln Mercury Mazda
PO Box 1200
Manchester CT 06040"
description "Mazda Extended Protection Plan
total care"
months 84
mileage 75,000
deductible $100.00
price $1,209.00
contact http://www.authorizedfordwarranties.com/mazda/pricing.html
phone 800-444-7173

dealer "Morande Lincoln Mercury Mazda
PO Box 1200
Manchester CT 06040"
total care"
months 84
mileage 75,000
deductible $0.00
price ~$1,700
contact http://www.authorizedfordwarranties.com/mazda/pricing.html
phone 800-444-7173

dealer Jim Ellis Marietta GA
description JM&A -alt insurer
months 84
mileage 70,000
deductible $100.00
price $905.00
contact John Powers
phone 1.877.330.0650

dealer Jim Ellis Marietta GA
description JM&A -alt insurer
months 84
mileage 70,000
deductible $0.00
price $1,040.00
contact John Powers
phone 1.877.330.0650

dealer Hennessy Mazda Atlanta GA
total care"
months 84
mileage 75,000
deductible $0.00
price $1,985.00
contact Dave Stevens
phone 770-968-6800

dealer Ron Tonkin Portland OR
description Protective -alt insurer
months 84
mileage 75,000
deductible $50.00
price ~$900
contact Besh (?)
phone (503) 257-2420

dealer Trussville Mazda Birmingham AL
total care"
months 84
mileage 75,000
deductible $0.00
price $1,762.00
contact Rex
phone (800) 847-7262

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
depends on the car and your situation.
I bought an extended warrenty (GE) for my probe GT. paid $800 for it. it paid for itself within the year. but then when it expired, that is when the real bills added up. so, insurance companies always get their money. put that $1500 away in a real estate index fund, and in 5 years it will be worth double that if you are lucky. use that to pay for any repairs, if you have them and pocket the change.
I don;t plan on one for this car as I don't plan on owning it more than 6 years, and I don't drive more than 15,000 km a year.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys for all the info!

I just read the "fine" print and realized that my coverage is not even the total care.

The reason I took it was because the salesperson told me that he gave me a big price break going from 2999.00 down to 1599.00. Damn it, now I realize he just down grade the plan not the price.

I drive like 25 miles daily, so it'll be below 12000 yearly.

I'll definitely cancel it!

·
Registered
975 Posts
So trussville mazda just quoted me 4 year, 85,000 mile MEPP for 875 bucks, 100 dollar deductible.

5 year 100,000 mile warranty, 100 dollar deductible, 1069 dollars.

My factory warranty runs out in a month so i am thinking about pulling the trigger on one of those two, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
518 Posts
[quote author=nc987 link=topic=67236.msg2860259#msg2860259 date=1231817798]
So trussville mazda just quoted me 4 year, 85,000 mile MEPP for 875 bucks, 100 dollar deductible.

5 year 100,000 mile warranty, 100 dollar deductible, 1069 dollars.

My factory warranty runs out in a month so i am thinking about pulling the trigger on one of those two, what do you guys think?
[/quote]

You need to see what it covers.

Im in this same dilemma. I have owned my car for 11 months and it has 27k miles on it (bought new). I only want my engine and transmission covered for sure, not sure how much the power train warranty covers for that. So I am considering getting an extended warranty. I'll prolly go to the dealer and talk to them about the current power train and what it covers then a ext warranty. then read the fine print and ask all those questions about cost, parts and whats covered if....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts