Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject is pretty self explanatory. Looking for opinions/experiences after installing a front sway bar: Did you go ahead and get your car aligned? If not, did you notice any negative impact (e.g. uneven tread wear; pull; wobble; etc.)?

I can't install the front sway bar myself, so I'm going to have to pay for professional installation - Goodyear is telling me I need alignment afterward; Napa Service Center is telling me it's not necessary.

Thanks for any feedback.
M

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a quick follow-up - I have Hotchkis brand sway bars, and at the end of their installation instructions it states: "Alignment is not required after this install."

If anyone has confirming or contradicting feedback, please still share it :)

Thanks,
M

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
Unless you touch something like the LCA, strut, etc, an alignment isn't necessary. Hell, I've replaced the strut top mounts 3 times and never aligned afterwards... no issues.

An alignment isn't necessary after any sway bar install.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
[quote author=sdemo45 link=topic=211163.msg4244714#msg4244714 date=1340905119]
Unless you touch something like the LCA, strut, etc, an alignment isn't necessary. Hell, I've replaced the strut top mounts 3 times and never aligned afterwards... no issues.

An alignment isn't necessary after any sway bar install.
[/quote]
Not true! You have to drop the subframe on Fusions to change the FSB (fuckin retarded, right?), in which case would necessitate an alignment.

Basically, if the steering rack, tie rods, subframe, or control arm bolts have been altered or the car has been lowered, you need an alignment. Removing the sway bar, and replacing it would not require an alignment, unless something that I mentioned above had to be moved to access the sway bar.

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
Alright, well that's retarded. I figured that may be required on some cars, but not sure if it is on the 3

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Looks like you do have to unbolt the subframe. I'm curious why Hotchkis would say alignment is not required. I would at least get it checked, but I doubt it's necessary. Many shops will check the alignment for free.

·
Moderate your face
6,577 Posts
When I changed mine out I had to drop the front subframe and I also got an alignment. It didn't pull or anything but I'd rather spend a few dollars for an alignment than have the tires wear out premature.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You don't really have to drop the front cross member all the way down. I backed the bolts out about 1/2" -3/4" and just pushed the entire assembly forward to gain access to the front anti sway bar. I did not get an alignment after the installation and noticed no unusual tire wear. I believe I got about 27K miles out of a site of Yokohama S. Drives. While you may not need to get an alignment it would be good to plan to spend the money just in case.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
You say you backed the bolts out 1/2" to 3/4" and pushed the entire assembly forward, therefore you changed the alignment of the front sub frame...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yep. And when I got my car alligned after purchasing new tires everything was just fine. Don't get me wrong. The correct way would be to get the alignment checked.

·
Registered
874 Posts
you have to re align the front subframe when you bolt it back up.. I noticed mine when i bolt it back up that it was not that centered so i had to loosen the bolts and muscle the sub frame to center it..

It is best to have a re alignment afterwards

·
Registered
85 Posts
yes from wut i heard u have to do the alignment after front sway bar installed, but not for strut bar, so im now waiting for my parts arrive then need to do the alignment after installed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have installed both sway bars / anti-roll bars. I have not checked my alignment yet, but I plan on it when I get my oil changed next week. No pulling or unusual steering tendancies, but I agree - it makes sense at least to get the alignment checked after fooling with the subframe.

Best,
Mario

·
Registered
163 Posts
No bolts are never perfectly centered in the holes. Some of those bolts might be off centered for a reason. Whenever a suspension component is replaced, it is recommended to get the alignments checked. It should be fine to drive to the place of you choice to the alignments checked. To be honest, these static alignments on passenger cars are somewhat tolerable. Those rubber bushings are too soft anyway. I sometimes wish I could get all the joints and bushings in my car with spherical bearings and solid aluminum, FSAE style. Talk about harsh rides...

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
[quote author=fastshift link=topic=211163.msg4253688#msg4253688 date=1343397225]
I sometimes wish I could get all the joints and bushings in my car with spherical bearings and solid aluminum, FSAE style. Talk about harsh rides...
[/quote]
If only it were more practical! The sphericals on our cars usually last around 2 years or so, before they either start to seize or get loose. For street cars, poly or delrin bushings are the way to go!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally got my alignment checked. Driver's side front was camber was off 0.5 degrees. So, I'd say if you don't want premature tire wear - get an alignment after installing a front sway bar. My alignment was spot on when I had my tires installed about 3 months ago, and I don't take speed bumps fast or anything like that. I'm guessing it was moving the subframe that caused the misalignment.

-M

1 - 17 of 17 Posts