Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'll be trading-in my 04 Tit Gray MZ3 for an 07 Sunlight Silve MZ3 this Monday. But I had a question that the dealer could not answer. I would like to know if the cabin on the 07 Hatch is quieter than the previous years. Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've driven quite a few Mazda3's and my wife and I have driven new and used ones, I noticed almost no difference in cabin noise levels. There was a slight difference between the used vehicles with 40k on them and the new ones but this is simply due to the fact that one was new and hadn't loosened up yet.

Cabin noise is something we're taking fairly seriously because my wife's rav4 is atrociously loud....

It is, however, important to note that we've driven lots of 05, 06 and 07 models but I've only driven the 04's on the autox track so perhaps there were some minor improvements with the 04's being the first run of the new model...

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Also keep in mind that most of the noise in our cars comes from the tires -- the Goodyear RSAs are notoriously loud. Replacing them with a quieter tire (such as the Michelin Pilot Exalto) should help quite a bit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
[quote author=DrWebster link=topic=70339.msg1229740#msg1229740 date=1172349650]
Also keep in mind that most of the noise in our cars comes from the tires -- the Goodyear RSAs are notoriously loud. Replacing them with a quieter tire (such as the Michelin Pilot Exalto) should help quite a bit.
[/quote]Tires make a HUGE difference when it comes to noise in the cabin. My nissan had Nitto 450R's on it, a notoriously loud and crappy tire. I replaced it with the ToyoProxes4 and the car is now very quiet, quiet enough that I can pickout the wind noise from the rear windows over the road noise and other cabin noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for your replies. I appreciate it. I was wondering how come our cars don't have that big piece of foam in the trunk. I know my girlfriend's Matrix has that and her car is much quieter than mine. Also, VW Rabbit has the foam piece too and it's quiet too. Is it too expensive to have it installed in cars. Shouldn't Mazda give the cabin noise a closer look. Thanks again.

·
Registered
122 Posts
[quote author=DrWebster link=topic=70339.msg1229740#msg1229740 date=1172349650]
[/quote]

I have had Michelin Pilot Exaltos A/S on my car for about four months. I haven't really noticed much reduction in tire noise but they are much better in the wet than the RSA's. The level of tire noise is actually my only major gripe about the car. Overall, my 3 is worlds above my wife's Corolla but the Toyota has the 3 beat in overall cabin quietness.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Keep in mind guys that you can pick up some dynamat and quiet your car down yourself if you're really thinking the cabin is too noisy. Just a thought.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Instead of dynamat. go to lowes/homedepot and get peel n seal. its just like dynamat extreme but is only about $1 per square foot.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I don't think the new 3s are quieter. The headliner doesn't appear to have changed and I don't think they changed sound damping materials. They are still using the OEM rubberized stuff on the floor and trunk, etc...

And the foam/fiber/rubber firewall liner is probably the same as on my 06 GT model, as well as the hood liner.

For what it's worth, worn shocks & stiffer springs can also make a ride loud in addition to tires.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
My cabin is louder than my 05. I hear a lot more ZOOM ZOOM and not as much zoom zoom.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did previous model years have a layer of white felt attached to inside of the door panel? When replacing my front speakers I noticed a layer of probably 1/4 inch felt covering most of the panel. Didn't see the same thing in the speaker replacement walkthrough I used as a reference.

Granted I've never driven a previous model, but I find my 2007 GT Hatch to be pretty quiet (with the exception of tire noise on certain road surfaces).

·
Registered
384 Posts
[quote author=Zoom05 link=topic=70339.msg1230124#msg1230124 date=1172363963]
You can always dampen the noise with a little extra insulation of your own. I used Dynamat in all doors, boot and rear wheel arches. Makes a noticeable difference. See pics of my install here:

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j202/trimega/
[/quote]

Damn that color red is hot, Zoom05! I wish they still sold the 3 in that color...sweetness..

·
Registered
59 Posts
cabin noise is one of the biggest complaints in every article/review ive read about this car, i was used to driving 7-10 year old hondas with loud everything, so i guess it all depends, i can say im very happy with how quiet my 07 is. its no benz but certainly isnt annoying.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am driving a 2005 Corolla Sport right now and I am planning to purchase a 2007 Mazda 3 sometime this year. Do you guys think the cabin noise be any different?
I do heard that the noise level in a 3 is louder than Corollla though...

Any input would be appreciated!!

Astro

1 - 20 of 26 Posts