Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as many of you I have started to try and hunt down a way to hard wire in an Ipod into the older style Mazdas. My girlfriends car is an 04 and we are looking for a way to get this done. I have gone around my home city here to all the different Audio shops. I have asked for any way to hard wire an ipod to a factory deck. Most of the time i get "it's just easier to get a new deck." This is something we don't want to do, as she has the 6 cd changer already built in. In one shop the guy looked the brand they carry and they didn't even make anything for mazda. I think this brand was Nucleus, but they didn't have anything. I mentioned the name audiolink that I got off this forum and he had never even heard of it. I have been reading some of the post here and it sounds like some people have tried to install the mazda unit. I would like to know if anybody has found anything that will work in a '04 Mazda 3 with the factory Deck. I think we will try just about anything, with in reason of course. Even a link to a site that might have something. The best would be a little feed back from some stuff you guys have gotten set up. Thanks guys. here is a picture of the GF's car.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8918/dsc00794dg4.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
130 Posts
I installed this in my 04' Mazda 6 and it worked pretty well...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went ahead and looked thru those links and found the Ipod integration kit from RPM. I fired off an email to them to double check for my girlfriends car. So far apart from the small mods to the factory head unit this unit should work for what we want. I even checked the Firmware version and we are good. That looked to be an older thread, how have you guys that picked them up at the end of the year made out so far? Any issues so far with them? Any feed back would be great. thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Newtuner,

Anyword on that iPod unit? Which unit did you end up purchasing? How is it working? I am in the exact same position, GF just purchased 2004 Mazda3s, and she'd like her iPod to function.

I am very new to the forum and new to the make/model, so any insight you might have (that actually applies to all memebers; I promise I'll catch up on the older threads) would be great!

Thanks to all,

Nick

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
fostersboy...
Just curious, you mentioned that you cant go to other playlists, which is pretty much all I use on my iPod. I am wondering if the iPod itself is still usable or does it just bring up the company logo and lock the scroll wheel? Normally for me, I hop in the car and select one of 5 or 6 playlists and have it set on random song. But if this product doesn't enable playlists what is the workaround.

thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
oh no sorry i didnt mean that, i listen to songs through playlists too, i just meant that from the OEM headunit you cant switch from playlist to playlist, but the ipod is fully functional itself (you can go from playlist to playlist)

sorry for the confusion

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have the Audio Link unit in my '04. Had it installed for about a week now, and I love it. Let's you play up through 6 playlists through the factory deck (using the 'disc up/disc down' cd changer controls).

Not to mention RPM is a forum sponsor and you'll have your questions answered very quickly. And the forum discount doesn't hurt either :)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Yeah, I've got to put in my obligatory "AudioLink Rocks"...

I've had one for about a year now on my '06 and couldn't stand being without it (in fact not being able to use my iPod was the #1 thing that drove me nuts when my car was being repaired and I had a rental). You can use the iPod controls, the steering wheel controls, and the stereo controls interchangeable and the audio quality is great.

If you get it from RPM (forum sponsor) it'll cost you about $50 less than the Neo unit, and RPM has GREAT customer service.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the heads up guys, great info.
I didn't mean to jack this thread from the original question, but seemed appropiate to answer my questions.
I was just a little concerned on spending that much money, being that in my previous car I just bought a $50 unit to plug in to the back of my Pioneer aftermarket HU, and it was great.
But reading what you guys are saying, I will definitely be looking at getting one of these units, as I can't imagine driving without my iPod!

Brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I finally got around to ordering the audio link unit for my girlfriends ipod Nano. I guess we were a little slow as they are out of stock until april 23rd. I'm sure we will still get it in a good time. I will let you guys know how it goes in and works out. We have a bunch of stuff to install into her car as of may 1st. I will let you guys know about all the stuff we put in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh man did my girl and I do some work on her mazda 3 today. We took a bunch of pics and I will try and post them tomorrow. We put her new rims on her car. Then we tackled her sirius radio. that went in so easy. I also finally got the audio link unit and that thing works great. You just plug the one connection in the back of the factory head unit. The only thing i didn't like is the cable that you plug into the audio link unit and runs out to the ipod. Doesn't connect very well and comes unplugged easy. We found this out after we put everything back together and it didn't work. A little electrical tape and a few wraps fixed that. Once we found the problem everything worked great. We popped the ash tray out and I drilled a hole in the frame of the cig outlet. You can fold the cable in and have the Ipod inside and close the cover, can't even see it. In a couple of weeks we are going to hook up a sub and amp to the head unit and on the 19th it's getting some tint put in. Man this little car is going to look so nice. One thing I have to look into is I think it would look killer if we dropped it 2" what are you guys using to lower your 3s?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Most of the drops around here are coming from the Eibach Pro Kit or the Tein S or H tech Springs. I myself will be going with the Tein S Tech at some point in the (hopefully near) future.

Also, I never had the cable problem you described with the audio link, mine sits in very tightly and has never come undone. Maybe we have a different version of the unit or something. Mine has been through a wreck and works A-1. Got quite a few questions about it from the cop who came to my accident scene :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How much are you dropping your car? What's ballpark for a 2" drop. One thing she keeps asking is is she going to bottom out on all the driveways and streets. I tell her that 2" isn't that low. How are you guys finding driving a lowered car?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Search in the Suspension forums, huge amounts of threads in there about this. Mine isn't lowered yet, so I wouldn't know :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So a little update on my girls 3. We finished everything she had planned for now. Now I know this thread will suck until I get some pictures up. We put the audio link Ipod intergration kit by RPM in. This unit works great so easy to use and install couldn't be any eaiser. I ran the cable for the ipod where the ashtry used to be. i just had to cut out a hole big enough for the connector to fit through. You can't even see it as it's on the top of the openning. the best part is you can fold the cord and have the ipod in the ashtray and close the lid. Next we installed Sirius radio, this was also an easy install and it was easy to hide the wires. Just yesterday we installed a 10" sub in her trunk. we wanted to install it with keeping the factory head unit. I had never done this before, but with a little help from a buddy it went well. We mounted the amp on the underside of the trunk. This is good so if she needs to take the sub out, all she will have to do is disconnect the speaker wires and pull the box out. I love this as I didn't want her to have to pull power calbes off or anything like that. We also put 17" wheels and she had tint install on all her windows. i have to admit her car looks good, she gets compliments all the time. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts