Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody in Canada (or the northern states) leave their ipod in the car when its cold. I read their operating temperatures are above freezing so i'm afraid to see what happens when I leave it hooked up to my car overnight.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If you have a hard-drive based iPod, I wouldn't leave it in the car when it's hot/cold out. The hard drive is very delicate and susceptible to extreme temperatures. If you had a shuffle or nano, you'd be OK since they're flash-based and the heat/cold doesn't bother them.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I dont really know what cold temps do to hard-drives, but i do know that when it's really cold the lcd screen on my creative takes a long time to come up to a visible darkness, and its a bit slower to respond to commands.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yeah, LCDs don't like the cold. I've done a few designs for cold weather operation and a "defroster" is added to the back of the glass. Only takes 10 seconds or so to warm them up enough to see, but they're still pretty slow to change for at least a couple of minutes. I think the biggest worry with a hard drive based ipod is the possibility of frost or moisture on the disk, so I always take mine out of the car.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Leaving anything of major value like an ipod in your car (besides living in buttfluck nowhere) is not advisable.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've had one in my car since July 2004 (Minnesota).
It's hooked up using the Denison ICE-Link.

The old gen 1 iPods (mono screen) would have a black screen for an hour or so on coldest mornings.
The color screen models don't suffer this problem. It's always readable.
The hard drive in any of them have never given me trouble with startup, sluggishness, etc.

In short, with the color models, I've had no problems will cold temps.

Speculation: constant trickle charge of the ICE-Link keep internals just warm enough to not freeze, stick, etc.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i live in Quebec and last week the temp dropped at -28 C... my ipod was plugged in the car that night and no problem with it the next morning. The car didnt like to start in that temp, but the ipod works like there was no probleme.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts