Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched around a little but was unable to find the answer to my question so here goes.

Is it at all possible to hook up an iPod or similar HD MP3 player to the Mz3's radio?

And if so, how do you go about doing it?
:p

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I just found it. Sorry about that.

There has to be a different way of doing it though. I don't want to buy the tape player. I would be afraid to start tearing into the factory radio though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Your only option would be an FM transmitter, then.

Sound quality is not very good, beware. You'd get much better results with a cassette adapter. I know I do...

My iPod 40 GB has a thick silicone skin cover, and fits just right on the ashtray door. The silicone keeps it stable and the 3's blue LED ambient light makes it easy to spot and pick up while driving... No need for a holder!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The topic referenced above has a link to the rx8 forum, where a bunch of guys are developping a module which is just what you're looking for.. You'll probably have to wait another month for them to manufacture it, but it looks promising. It essentially fools the HU into thinking there's a tape deck there, and they've said the sound quality is awesome

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definately don't want to go with the FM transmitter thing.

Where would this tape module go in the the car? Is there dash space for it?

·
Registered
773 Posts
From what I understand, the module would go in the spot a tape deck would go, under the buttons and such, and above the climate controls. If they can make it look clean, and I mean only the audio input, I'm sold on it. Tops on my list of things to get are an iPod and maybe some tint for my car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't think the module comes with a front plate.. The idea is for you to run cables to area between the seats, or the glove compartment, or your trunk.. wherever you need it

·
Registered
773 Posts
Ok, screw that then. I don't want to drill holes in my car to run a wire. Tape deck, here I come whenever I get an iPod.

·
Registered
12 Posts
JayO said:
I definately don't want to go with the FM transmitter thing.
I wouldn't recommend a wireless FM transmitter like the iRock. The audio quality isn't that great on them. I have an old iRock I used to use, but we switched over to a tape adapter.

In the thread linked above I describe how I used a wired FM Modulator which is better than the tape adaptor and the wireless FM modulator, and costs less than half of the add in tape deck and soldering connections, and you don't have to put a blank tape into the player using this method. You tune with the FM radio, but the signal is amazing as it is a local wired connection. I have a ripped 192kbps mp3 file on my iPod that sounds almost exactly like the counterpart on CD, and I know the aac format would sound even better. You have to turn up the volume slightly, but it's still very clear. If you're using the stock speakers you probably won't be able to tell the difference in audio quality at all.

I figured I would mention this again since my post got lost in the "all FM modulators are bad posts" when that isn't true at all.

Just my $0.02.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts