Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't resist a local deal while shopping around for a new daily after getting in an accident that left me out of the Mazda3.

Had hoped to take all the parts I had planned on installing over the winter and just pushing the project out to this summer on a different Mazda3 in the same gen, but couldn't resist a local deal.
Now in a 2013 BMW X1 35i M Sport package. Really sporty but definitely shows it's weight more than the Mazda3 that I'll miss in the daily.

Listed some of my parts, and likely will post a few more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"The two happiest days in a boat owner's life: the day you buy the boat, and the day you sell the boat"

BMWs are a lot like boats in this regard. I sold my BMW a couple of weeks ago, and practically danced home. Be prepared for 3-4x cost multipliers compared to your Mazda. Oil changes, batteries...everything. I needed to change the seal on an oil filter assembly and replace the battery -- $1,500 after discount. Get ready, and stock your savings. Expect repairs to equal or exceed the monthly payment on a new car over time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congratulation on your new (owner) BMW.
Not all BMW's have troubles most are over exaggerated or caused by not common sense and keeping up on the usual service.
Sorry reading about your Mazda.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is the funniest thing I have seen since Biden's state-of-the-union speech (opps - sorry). Really funny and lives up to the adage: A picture's worth a thousand words. Thanks for the Visual...

Zoom-Zoom

·
Registered
30 Posts
BMW's for the numbers don't have oil leaks no more than many other vehicles. Its not a Harley Davidson.. :ROFLMAO:
Most problems stem from owner neglect like any other vehicle.
The world would be a wonderful place if only this were true.

I've owned 18 vehicles in my lifetime, and they've been fairly diverse -- from Ford to Lexus to Saturn (remember them?) to Infiniti to BMW to Nissan to Mazda to Chrysler to Pontiac (another relic) to Hyundai...you get the picture.

I'm a car care nut. I don't miss oil changes, I keep my cars maintained and clean, and probably do more than necessary in most cases. With the BMW, it absolutely didn't matter. Something was always wrong with that POS, and it wasn't a complete day unless the Bimmer peed oil on the driveway, had a dead battery, threw a random code, or had something stop working with no explanation (I'm looking at you, "Comfort Access"). The vehicle was not neglected...it was more expensive to maintain than my kids, and with much worse results. Never, ever again.

I had an old used Ford Taurus. A commuter car that I wrenched on when it needed it. It had 150k miles on it when I got rid of it. That car was also a POS, but it was perfection compared to the BMW. Seriously.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everyone has growing pains in every vehicle, it's pretty much part of learning the new car and usually addressing those issues as you get to them or do preventative maintenance (main reason I'll never buy a brand new car).

The main concern I generally have jumping into a different car is what are the known issues that you find researching a vehicle, what are the options to address those issues, and how big of a community does a vehicle have.
If options to address issues are limited due to low aftermarket or it's just some kind of issue can't be solved in an economical manner (looking at you front bumper fitment on Mazda3) then it'll likely fall into the live with it and becomes a complaint on the car.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Owner neglect does not cause almost every BMW to spring leaks at their stupid oil pan gaskets after about 60,000 miles. Four figure repair cost. Such fine German engineering. Especially considering that about $2.00 worth of RTV properly applied to seal an oil pan lasts essentially forever.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What I clearly said was that "most problems stem from owner neglect like any other vehicle. " If this were not the case, I would not be living in my really nice home partially paid for by servicing vehicles which unfortunately were neglected by their owners. :LOL:

Forums do not give a true or really accurate percentage of any vehicle when talking about issues. Generally, on most every vehicle forum you read the complaints and problem over the positive things. So, when some members on various forums complain as the example trying to state un- supported facts that pertains to most or all BMWs leaking oil does not fit any actual statistical data of any specific year model, engine type etc. Honestly no matter what I write those very few already have their head made up.

Maybe they belong to that unique club of MYTH makers on the WWW. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
What I clearly said was that "most problems stem from owner neglect like any other vehicle. " If this were not the case, I would not be living in my really nice home partially paid for by servicing vehicles which unfortunately were neglected by their owners. :LOL:

Forums do not give a true or really accurate percentage of any vehicle when talking about issues. Generally, on most every vehicle forum you read the complaints and problem over the positive things. So, when some members on various forums complain as the example trying to state un- supported facts that pertains to most or all BMWs leaking oil does not fit any actual statistical data of any specific year model, engine type etc. Honestly no matter what I write those very few already have their head made up.

Maybe they belong to that unique club of MYTH makers on the WWW. ;)
I understand your point, but my post(s) are derived from direct experience. Every day experience with an absolute POS car that was $80k new. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but mine would've been better off had it been given a Viking funeral at the end of its warranty.

Given that experience, I'm not about to spend quality time analyzing statistical data about how wonderful BMWs are. There's no substitute for personal experience.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I remember a friend who had a BMW 2002 and it was well put together. I did a tune up on it for the friend and it really din't need one. But that was a long time ago.

I do remember driving it to the parts dept. in Plano, TX, it was raining and just for fun (3-lanes, no traffic) I decided to see how well it swapped lanes... No matter how I tossed it on those wet roads, it never would come loose or lose traction. Not even a fishtail. It was solid, but things don't remain the same. Even Led Zeppelin retired! :cry: I wouldn't have a newer one; even if you gave it to me. But I would like to take an M3 for a spin on some country roads before i go...(y):love:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree. Overall a very informative & interesting discussion. I might add that as far as used cars (in general) goes; that some cars are almost bullet-proof. The Toyota Camry comes to mind, maybe the Mazda products as well.. What do you you-all think? My grandson bout a Chevy Silverado with 150k miles on it and I thought he was taking a big chance.

But he (apparently) had done his homework. 50k miles & 3 years later he is still rocking down the road. He also spent $5500 on it and it is now worth at least $8,000. So it just proves that Papa and his experience aren't always the final word. In case you are wondering, he has put on a water pump, hoses, & all belts, tensioners/pulleys for a total of around $1k out the door. Probably an except-able investment in terms of maintenance, given it's age (2004)...

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
@mazdacrv, not all older cars are created equal, both from their manufacturer and from their previous owners; my 2006 Acura TL is a prime example, I bought it at the age of 11 years old with 114,000 miles on the clock; it now has nearly 200,000 miles on it. Yes, I've spent some money on needed and preventative maintenance, but I expect it will easily see the far side of 300,000 miles before it needs any more significant work. By the same token, any number of folks I've heard from on the Acura forums bought virtually the same car as mine, but in rough shape, and have had no end of maintenance nightmares trying to keep the car in drivable condition.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts