Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm going to be installing some angel eyes on my 3 as soon as they come in but I have a few questions for you guys that know your electrical stuff or have done somehting similar.

I want to wire them with a switch so they are completely independent from the parking lights or headlights. I dont even know what a ballast is but the set comes with 2. How am I going to go about accomplishing what I want? I figure I will put a switch by the light dimmer to the left of the steering wheel. My main questions are where can I tap into some power nearby that will ALWAYS be on, so that the key doesn't even have to be in for them to work? And does anyone know how to get at the slots where the switch would go? I've taken the whole center console stuff apart before but never anything over there. If I can't figure it out I may just put the switch by the cig lighter. If it matters, I have an 05 sedan.

I'm sorry for making this post kind of long and confusing but ANY info would be greatly appreciated. The more in depth the explanation the better.

Thanks a lot in advance

·
Registered
611 Posts
for all intensive purposes, think of ballasts as power sources. There are plenty of constant 12v sources- the radio has one, theres one to your ignition bundle (lots of people use ignition related wiring, i personally try to avoid it), you could hook wires directly to your battery if you really wanted to. I'm not positive of how to get those switches over on the left, but i'm sure if you just play around with it for a bit then you can figure it out. I may look into it tomorrow if im feelin zesty. You're also going to have to bake your headlight housings to get the angel eyes in i think. Wait for your kit to get there, check out the instructions, them come back with more specific questions

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I think I can handle all the stuff with the headlights from walkthroughs on here I just can't find anyone who has put them on a switch. Thanks for the info so far.

And by the way if there is anyone in Central Florida that would be willing to give me a hand for a few hours to do this I'd buy you lunch or a case of beer or something.

·
Registered
611 Posts
To add a switch, simply find the + power for the headlights and put a relay inline. The reason you need a relay is because most switches can't handle a very high current and i honestly don't know what kind of draw angel eyes have (I assume not too large but better safe than sorry). The relay will get both sides of the + wire (you will snip it, thus having two ends) as well as a + and - from your toggle switch. You CANNOT use a momentary style switch for your angel eyes- unless you REALLY like holding down switches for extended periods.

+++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Angel Eyes-----------------------------------
SOURCE [RELAY]
+++++/switch/----- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts