Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having trouble with a portion of my climate control in my 2006 Mazda 3. I don't know a godamn thing about cars, but I finally decided to figure it out. The temperature adjustment knob on my car has stopped working. It got stuck on one temperature. The other knob (fan control) is fine.
After a few diagrams and some curse words I managed to get the temp controller unit out of the car. I removed the knob from the unit and it is clearly broken on the back. Problem now is - I need a replacement part and a) I have no flipping idea where to get one b) I don't know if I can purchase just the knob or have to replace the entire electronic unit and c) I don't even know what to search for cause I have no clue what it's even called.

Do I know what I"m doing - no, but since I've gotten this far and car is in pieces inside I'd appreciate all the help you guys can give me directing me to a new part.

Thanks so much!
Lisa :)

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Well, as a baseline you could start by calling the parts department at your dealership. They should at least be able to tell you if the knobs are available separately, or if you have to buy the whole control assembly. Chances are, even if you can buy just the knob, the dealer will want a crapload of money for it, but at least you'd have one option.

Another option is to try calling local auto salvage yards; they may have a 3, and if they have the knob you need it would likely only be a couple bucks.

You could also check with some of the forum sponsors here; a few are actually Mazda dealerships (who usually sell parts for a decent amount less than what your local dealer would charge), and some others carry new/used parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Salvage yard is a good idea. I'll give that a try. Called one place and they said they dont' sell the knobs separately which was what I was worried about. Replacement unit for this is around $250 they said.
I also PM'd you Tekwatch just to see what you have.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Rats - I have the older style knobs from a 2004

You need to find a salvage yard that lets you pull your own parts and just grab one, put it in your pocket :lol:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Your going to need a whole new unit most likely. Unless you can find someone on here with the knob or a salvage yard like everyone is saying. Usually dealerships don't have small pieces like knobs separate, unless its a common thing to break. Good luck with it though. Its always worth a shot to call the dealership...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Apathetic - knobs don't look like that, but thanks.
Gotthatzumzum - you were exactly correct. whole unit. Quoted $625. Ummm.... NOT. So I took the unit apart (what's the worst that coulda happened? I break it more? LOL). took the knobs off and found out that one of the metal fork tines (only way I can think to explain it) on the bottom of the temp control knob that skims over the circuit board had fallen off. I brought it to work where we have numerous electricians and one awesome guy fixed it for me! drilled two very tiny pilot holes and tied it back on with a small piece of wire. It's very sturdy and wire does not interfere with the roatation of the knob. I put it all back together and it works! Free! (broke a stupid little back light the lights the knob up in the process, but who cares!) Free! I was very happy I decided to dive in and take it apart. Thanks!
Lisa

·
Registered
122 Posts
i have the SAME issue - even worse when it's cold out.

Anyone have an extra 2006 temp knob for a grand touring (the ones that light up)for sale? Not sure if I'll be able to fix mine

·
Registered
122 Posts
here is a write up on "how to" do this:

Also, I had the SAME issue as below:

Gotthatzumzum - you were exactly correct. whole unit. Quoted $625. Ummm.... NOT. So I took the unit apart (what's the worst that coulda happened? I break it more? LOL). took the knobs off and found out that one of the metal fork tines (only way I can think to explain it) on the bottom of the temp control knob that skims over the circuit board had fallen off. I brought it to work where we have numerous electricians and one awesome guy fixed it for me! drilled two very tiny pilot holes and tied it back on with a small piece of wire. It's very sturdy and wire does not interfere with the roatation of the knob. I put it all back together and it works! Free! (broke a stupid little back light the lights the knob up in the process, but who cares!) Free! I was very happy I decided to dive in and take it apart. Thanks!
I used superglue to get the metal prong guys back in place, worked perfectly! They are barely held on in the first place so I wouldn't be surprised if others have the same issue. See the write up above for details on how to remove these guys! good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
does anyone have a picture of the part that breaks off? because i think i havehte same problem.

would you say this is a fairly easy thing to fix?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lisa
Hi which which directions did you set the metal prongs do you have a pic by any chance

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whats up everyone? Im trying to figure out this climate knob stuck on 80 degrees but cant figure it out. Do I need to remove the controls and open ot up to clean the contacts behind the kmob to fix my issue? I kmow this post is old and Im hopimg someone can reply to point me to the right direction. Thank you in advance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts