Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the talk of downpipe and mid pipe HP/TQ gains has advanced the plans for making my exhaust.

What I am planning:

Eventually I will be running 3in from the turbo back. For now I will be building a system from the DP to the tip. (only because the DP will be a PITA)

I will be running at least one cat, for now that will be the cat in the DP. Later on I will place an aftermarket hiflow cat further down stream (for longevity of the cat. It will take longer to warm up, but IMHO that is not a big deal) I will also relocate the stock O2 sensors to keep the ECU happy.

Add in a bung for my Wideband O2 sensor somewhere in the mid pipe.

I will use a straight through muffler of a decent size and displacement. (don’t need to attract too much attention. My last car had ITBs with open air horns, nuff said)

To make my life easy I will be using pre made flanges and mandrel bent tubing.

Welding process is up in the air. I will either TIG it up, or run hardwire.

This is all leading to my question to you guys; do you want me to take pix and do a writeup? Are any of you guys DIYers?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I'd definately have interest in that.

·
Registered
612 Posts
yeah, especially if you can do a before and after dyno. Would like to see what gains you make, also a sound clip of the after would be interesting as well.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I would be interested in reading about it, but im gonna leave my exhaust up to the tuner shops who have experience putting together a bolt on kit. Im all about DIY, but not to that degree. :p

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=CosmicBlueMS3 link=topic=69047.msg1198244#msg1198244 date=1171065769]
I would be interested in reading about it, but im gonna leave my exhaust up to the tuner shops who have experience putting together a bolt on kit. Im all about DIY, but not to that degree. :p
[/quote]

LOL I have built Individual Throttlebody systems, Stand alone ECUs (Megasquirt) and I spend a few years doing fab work and building engines for a family owned racing team in my area (S2, "A" and "D" Sports racer and some vintage Bobsy's and Alfas)

I will put up sound clips but the dyno will come later.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
i deal with mechanics all day at work, putting together something is a non issue, tooling is a beast I dont have the time to tackle.
sure there is pride in making something yourself, but if there are viable options available I can make a whole lot more money staying late at work than I can could save by making it myself.
more power to you and I look forward to watching the progress.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Cosmic, you understand perfectly! For me it is the joy of making something from a pile of steel/aluminum/titanium/whatever, into something.
Besides it is time better spend than going out drinking (Man I must be getting old...)

I bought some of the mandrel bends I need. A "U" (which will make my 2 90*) and a 45*
$42

1 - 7 of 7 Posts