Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got the CAI this morning. Havne't installed it yet cuz i have no time.. Question for the mechanics out there... my friend has the same car as i do and rather than buying a $300 CAI (budget) he bought a K&N filter to replace the stock and took out the resonator. From what he told me, he said he can hear the turbo spool and bov alot more than he could before. I haven't heard it yet tho. Is he talking out of his a**? or is he correct?

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
sounds legit to me, the stock air box definately puts the hush on the turbo, so taking it out could easily add more noise

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey! Josh from rontonkin! thanks for the GB. Just received the intake this morning. It's all laid out on my room floor wanting to be installed! =) Did ya still need the VIN #?

Ya, that extra 250 makes it look nice.. and gives more HP.. and living in Los Angeles, you dont have to worry about rain puddles n such... but i still cant get over that hydro-lock fear you know? This is my first CAI. The only thing i did to my eclispe was strut bars, kicks in the trunk... muffler... so i never had to worry.. :| And reading these stories how it happened isn't very reassuring.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
[quote author=MS3 Sport link=topic=70670.msg1238029#msg1238029 date=1172636453]
Hey! Josh from rontonkin! thanks for the GB. Just received the intake this morning. It's all laid out on my room floor wanting to be installed! =) Did ya still need the VIN #?

Ya, that extra 250 makes it look nice.. and gives more HP.. and living in Los Angeles, you dont have to worry about rain puddles n such... but i still cant get over that hydro-lock fear you know? This is my first CAI. The only thing i did to my eclispe was strut bars, kicks in the trunk... muffler... so i never had to worry.. :| And reading these stories how it happened isn't very reassuring.
[/quote]

yeah if you could get me the vin it would be awesome i want the tv mazda is giving away :) don't worry about the hydro lock just don't drive in huge puddles.

·
Registered
579 Posts
you dont even need huge puddles to cause problems... i was driving with a CAI for a while with no problems, then one day engine spuddered and check engine light came on. there was barely any rain on the ground since it just started raining.

just dont drive aggressively in the rain.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ see thats what im worried about... for some reason los angeles started to get rain the last couple of days... we start winter late...

·
Registered
355 Posts
it is always wet where I live, whether it be snow or rain, and we have a TON of little hondas with nothing more than a CAI and fart can exhaust. They dont have issues, and my friend drives all year round with his CAI on in his 2001 prelude and has NEVER got water in it. Just dont drive like a maniac and you will be fine. You have nothing to worry about if you drive responsibly in the rain and through puddles. Dont let the horror stories scare you..it is an extremely safe mod.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had an AEM CAI on my 96 civic for over 6 years with not one problem. Don't sweat it. Just drive with care when there is a lot of standing water.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
they are all correct with those vehicles. this one is a LITTLE different, but the fact remains that a very very small number of cars with CAI actually get what people refer to as "hydro-lock". when the turbo begins to spool, the engine requires more air than a NA car, so just remember to do this...keep your filter clean and stay out of standing water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts