Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

for anyone considering a cai, this should pretty much seal the deal as far as which is less restrictive.

makes me wonder how much R+D money went into that thing...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: a little over-engineered....

sure are, you play?

unfortunatly theres a blizzard here now, or id probably be out thowin...

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

[quote author=smiler82 link=topic=69425.msg1205005#msg1205005 date=1171399695]

for anyone considering a cai, this should pretty much seal the deal as far as which is less restrictive.

makes me wonder how much R+D money went into that thing...
[/quote]

not everyone wants a better performing, better sounding car.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

[quote author=smiler82 link=topic=69425.msg1205111#msg1205111 date=1171401276]
sure are, you play?

unfortunatly theres a blizzard here now, or id probably be out thowin...
[/quote]

Yeah i go pretty often when its warm, damn blizzard here too

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

Actually quite a bit of R&D went into that. A lot of the mass is from the huge resonance chanmber that runs the length of most of the snorkel. Then there is also the smaller resonance chamber. Take those away and it would look so hulking.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts

That resonator is also the reason why the motor's torquey down low- it speeds up the air going into the air box. Without it or if someone installs a CAI, they start using the word "bogging" come summer time or when the AC is on :)

·
Registered
3,324 Posts

anyway to keep that low end but get an increase in the high end?

·
Registered
10,276 Posts

noooooooope

although a short-ram combined with a larger diameter exhaust seems to have worked wonders for me.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts

[quote author=kj442 link=topic=69425.msg1207750#msg1207750 date=1171486860]
[/quote]

yeah, if you have a manual, rev higher. hahaha.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

Some observations:

From the appearance, you can tell they designed the intake LAST to fit the contours of the engine bay AFTER the more position sensitive important factors were determined like the "engine". heh

They also probably didn't re-invent the wheel, but rather used a template from previous designs and modified it.

You figure it needs adequate air flow, and the ability to quiet the dominant resonating frequencies of the engine. All this, in addition to fitting a confined irregular shape in the engine bay while trying to make the air filter as easily accessible as possible. Then there's keeping the MAF sensor accessible and the vacuum tube routed efficiently.

Last compromise in the design is probably the placement of the bolts... They don't make it that easy to remove the sucker... hehe

Then the air filter has to be structurally sound so it doesn't resonate, so the ribs and plastic reinforcements are added for strength and rigidity. The plastic used is high impact that is durable, and black because it's a cheap color.

The end result... is the monster you see before you... All there for purpose and efficiency, and not so much aesthetics...

I say it's a sculpture of function...

·
Registered
91 Posts

That system actaully has 3 resonators - two before the airbox (and a weird, little dead-end 'pipe') and one after the airbox.
Bolt placement is purely for ease of assembly. These cars are not designed to be taken apart afterwards.
The intake is much smaller in diameter than any of the CAIs out there, and yes, it does need a little more revving to get the best out of a CAI - but once you do rev, it's magic between 3,000 and redline.
The stock system is torque-y lower down because most people are shit drivers, can't balance revs and clutch, and nearly stall it every time they take off or roll round a corner 1 or 2 gears too high. That's what Mazda design the intake to get around. And the space, as mentioned above.
They could easily put a CAI in stock (especially with the electronic throttle body on the 06-07 C-Series models, as the CAI is now silent) but they don't.
They'd also run a greater risk of morons hydrolocking while driving through floods...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

thanks all for your input, i was simply comparing this with regard to restriction. there is no doubt that this monster system is functional piece.

considering most on this forum are performance minded, comparing the stock intake system vs. a cai easily shows why one makes more power over the other.

I think most people on here agree that they'd take 8 more hp along with a louder car...

·
Registered
611 Posts

seeing that all-most makes me regret ordering a CAI.... i dread having to wrestle that thing outta the engine bay. lol. They should have just gone with stock ram-air and lost that P-trap looking section.

Oh, and disc golf FTW. i'm an avid player when the weather dosn't suck too.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts

YAY Power...boo Restriction...

oh and yay knowing how to drive...and shift...

·
Registered
10,276 Posts

[quote author=Zorminster link=topic=69425.msg1211110#msg1211110 date=1171597361]
seeing that all-most makes me regret ordering a CAI.... i dread having to wrestle that thing outta the engine bay. lol. They should have just gone with stock ram-air and lost that P-trap looking section.

[/quote]

it really isn't that big a deal. the removal is beyond simple, but a few bolts are not. half of the airbox portion just lifts up out of pins like the engine cover.

·
Registered
611 Posts

[quote author=biped link=topic=69425.msg1211815#msg1211815 date=1171641733]
[quote author=Zorminster link=topic=69425.msg1211110#msg1211110 date=1171597361]

[/quote]

it really isn't that big a deal. the removal is beyond simple, but a few bolts are not. half of the airbox portion just lifts up out of pins like the engine cover.
[/quote]

eh, i wasn't really serious ;p Was more or less saying that to comment on how ugly it is in a round-about way. I fear no project ;p

·
Registered
753 Posts
It certainly isn't pretty.

[quote author=JezMaz link=topic=69425.msg1209022#msg1209022 date=1171537096]The stock system is torque-y lower down because most people are shit drivers, can't balance revs and clutch, and nearly stall it every time they take off or roll round a corner 1 or 2 gears too high. That's what Mazda design the intake to get around. And the space, as mentioned above.[/quote]

They actually tune it to improve torque at lower rpms for improved fuel economy and because most drivers spend most of their time below 3000 rpm. Ability to drive a manual transmission is independent of intake and exhaust tuning, though I have noticed many loud exhausts telling me that their owner doesn't know how to work a clutch and isn't going to get more than 50K out of it.

[quote author=kj442 link=topic=69425.msg1207750#msg1207750 date=1171486860]
[/quote]

You could with the exhaust: ditch the cat (replace with straight pipe) and change the muffler to a straight-through but not oversized muffler (like a Dynomax Ultraflo), while keeping stock pipe diameter. You'd increase torque at all rpms with that setup.

·
Registered
91 Posts
[quote author=rpn453 link=topic=69425.msg1212799#msg1212799 date=1171665349]
It certainly isn't pretty.

[quote author=JezMaz link=topic=69425.msg1209022#msg1209022 date=1171537096]The stock system is torque-y lower down because most people are shit drivers, can't balance revs and clutch, and nearly stall it every time they take off or roll round a corner 1 or 2 gears too high. That's what Mazda design the intake to get around. And the space, as mentioned above.[/quote]

They actually tune it to improve torque at lower rpms for improved fuel economy and because most drivers spend most of their time below 3000 rpm. Ability to drive a manual transmission is independent of intake and exhaust tuning, though I have noticed many loud exhausts telling me that their owner doesn't know how to work a clutch and isn't going to get more than 50K out of it.

Um, that's actually just what I said re-phrased... (Minus the fuel economy bit, which is a secondary thing compared to torque in the sub 3,000 RPM range).
I never equated ability to drive a manual transmission to intake or exhaust (or any other feature of the car other than engine RPM and clutch engagement).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts