Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this by saying that I'm more of a rock crawler than I am street racer so I have not been keeping up with the available mods for my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3. I previously owned a 2000 SS Camaro and maximized the performance with some basic bolt on parts. One was an intake lid that actually made more of a difference than the catback exhaust that was dyno proven at 14 rwhp so I know that improving the intake can make a huge difference on some cars.

I'm hesitant to run a CAI because I live in a wet climate and the small chance of problems from sucking water isn't worth the performance increase for my uses. The Cobb intake does, however, look like an improvement over the stock design without any additional risk. Also, does the Cobb inlet hose do about the same thing only using the stock air box?

K&N has an intake that boasts 20+ hp while the Cobb only claims about 15 hp so does the heat shield make that much difference?

What do you recommend for me considering it my wife's daily driver grocery hauler that I like to enjoy from time to time.

I've heard that mpg can improve with aftermarket intakes, any truth?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Shite! For some reason (probably a keyboard actuator failure), I can't PM tonight. Oh well, I guess I'll do it this way.

Where are you at in Western WA? I'm in Federal Way myself, and there's a whole batch of us in this area. You should check out the gang at http://www.mazdasnw.com. Make a new member intro thread and make yourself at home.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The Heat Shield is a big part of the increase in horsepower between the KN and Cobb. I would always recommend KN for a Daily Driver they produce good power and good torque without sacrificing drive ability. I have a Typhoon Intake on my car and it is great. A lot of people will claim against KN or against Cobb, but I have always been a fan of KN because they produce products that are well engineered and they do everything they can to solve any concerns about hydrolock or heat soak. In all of their intakes. .02

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.