Mazda3 Forums banner

intake manifold

34K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Mg1911ak 
#1 ·
Ok everyone, by now those of you who own a 2004 Mazda 3-2.3, know about the intake manifold issues with sticking and the notorious clicking annoying sound especially when the engine is cold. I had the intake manifold replaced with a new one from a Mazda dealer and unfortunately, the problem came back (wtf). With this said, can anyone tell me, out of experience, how you took care of that problem, how you got it fixed. I've seen a lot of videos of people seafoam their engines but I want to know from those who have done it, if seafoaming the engine fixed the sticking and clicking sound problem in the intake manifold permanently.

#4 ·
I've recently been experiencing this as well as a rough idle. Threw a lean code the other night and a technician friend of mine found a leak near the first injector on the left where the intake manifold meets the engine. We replaced that gasket 4-5 months ago, i'm guessing it didn't seat properly. He sprayed some type of liquid ( i think starting fluid) to find the leak and the engine definitely changed idle (assuming starting fluid would cause it to choke a little) and the gasket seemed to swell or seat better (and definitely improve idle/performance). My idle has gotten a little rougher again so i'm thinking of replacing the gasket again or seeing what else I can find. Not sure if this helps, but I would check for a vacuum leak around the manifold as well.

Hopefully someone better experienced can help us with this.

Thanks!

#5 ·
[quote author=em3s link=topic=204635.msg4195200#msg4195200 date=1330959526]
If that's your best answer, don't waste my time.
[/quote]

A little explanation goes a long way. This is far from an issue that "everyone knows about". Fuel injectors make a clicking sound in normal operation, so from what you said, everyone with a 3 must have this issue.

#7 ·
I never said anything about the noise coming from the injectors. There is some kind of valve in the intake that sticks and makes a nasty loud clicking sound. This is common in the 3s. And yes, a lot of people have experienced this issue with their cars. There are a lot of posts about this issue in other forums out there. I've done some research but no luck fixing the problem. That is why I'm asking here. There's even a Youtube video out there.

#8 ·

#10 ·
[quote author=em3s link=topic=204635.msg4195216#msg4195216 date=1330960588]
There is some kind of valve in the intake that sticks and makes a nasty loud clicking sound.
[/quote]

What kind of valve would that be? Is it a fast tick? A slow tick? How many ticks per minute would you say?

#11 ·
The only "valves" inside the intake are the VTCS right?

#19 ·
I removed my VTCS and still have the sound. Must be the VIS. It goes away when the electric connector is unplugged.

#22 ·
if the sound your referring to is a clicking/ticking at idle yes I’m in the same boat but mine also sounds like a rattle at low rpms/speed no onewould seem to find my problem itwasn’t valves anything in trans mounts etc. I’m thinking it’s the manifold I wasn’t aware of the manifold issues so after watching so many YouTube videos I seen ppl saying it’s the little butterfly type pieces in the manifold and if you disconnect that cable that connects to the Intake runner control valves and it stops that ticking type sound at idle then the little butterfly’s are the issue it’s recommended to be replaced but I’ve heard you can actually find a way to just take them out completely as they aren’t necessary and you actually gain a bit of power and it won’t throw you a code not sure how accurate that is as I’m just learning on this and strongly believe this is the issue I’m having .! And it’s crazy no mechanics even the pros could diagnose this I might have just saved myself from replacing my motor as I was told !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.