Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all

got in my car today after work, turned on the car, let it sit a bit to warm up, and started to go, when i hit my first CEL :( drove it for a bit, didnt notice a change in performance at all. drove her over to the local autozone, and got the code read.

"intake manifold runner stuck closed."

its currently the coldest out i've tried to drive her in, so im thinking that had something to do with it. i've seen a good deal of talk about cold weather CELs around here, but nothing that mentioned this specifically, so i wanted to ask everyones take. anyone else had this? wha'd you do? what should i do?

thanks
max

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
every single mazda (not only the ms3) is likely to get this code, because the design of intake runner is faulty. Many have had this problem and mazda is currently working on a solution. I would call your dealer and tell them the code you have and that you would like to know when the new version of the intake valve will be available, then set up an appointment and have it replaced. This will affect performance and gas mileage so it is important to get it addressed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have this as well. My dealer blamed it on me for not letting the car warm up before I drove it. Total BS.

·
Registered
906 Posts
It is not stuck closed. There is no way to tell that. The CEL only tells of a malfunction with the actuator. Once the engine gets the slightest bit warm, it works just like normal.

It is CEL P2006.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
i got a call today from Ken at Protege Garage he told me that my car threw this code today. it has never had a cel before. the car is being used for an exhaust test fit, and when pulling it out of the shop the light came on, a quick diag. check showed the intake valve stuck code. i hope this gets addressed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ya, the whole beauty of it is you have to go to the dealer 3 times before the problem gets fixed.
1. They clear light and make an adjustment to a valve.
2. They clear light and order new shudder valve part.
3. They install the part.
It seems like Mazda want's to make damn sure the thing is faulty on your car. If they know there is a boatload of poorly designed valves, they should just replace it when you go in with that code showing. Instead, it's a 3 trip ordeal. Mike, I let my car warm up for about 3 minutes every time I drive it (so your right, it is B.S.). :mad:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had a P2006 CEL on yesterday morning as well. Outside temperature was -1 degrees F here. Later that day the CEL went out and everything is normal again.

·
Registered
241 Posts
[quote author=dread link=topic=67891.msg1169527#msg1169527 date=1169776793]
every single mazda (not only the ms3) is likely to get this code, because the design of intake runner is faulty. Many have had this problem and mazda is currently working on a solution. I would call your dealer and tell them the code you have and that you would like to know when the new version of the intake valve will be available, then set up an appointment and have it replaced. This will affect performance and gas mileage so it is important to get it addressed.
[/quote]

Sounds like you know more about this than most. Is this a new problem this year, or from prior years as well? Is the "intake valve" needed the same as the "shutter valve" others have had replaced? I've heard from some there is a new part now...anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
184 Posts
[quote author=DLUX link=topic=67891.msg1175562#msg1175562 date=1170122883]
Ya, the whole beauty of it is you have to go to the dealer 3 times before the problem gets fixed.
1. They clear light and make an adjustment to a valve.
2. They clear light and order new shudder valve part.
3. They install the part.
It seems like Mazda want's to make damn sure the thing is faulty on your car. If they know there is a boatload of poorly designed valves, they should just replace it when you go in with that code showing. Instead, it's a 3 trip ordeal. Mike, I let my car warm up for about 3 minutes every time I drive it (so your right, it is B.S.). :mad:
[/quote]

I hope you're right, because mine just went in for the third time. :klavergreg:

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and i assume this thing is deep enough within the car guts that its not the kind of thing we can just order a part for and make the switch ourself on a weekend with nice weather? i dunwanna take my whole engine apart, but if its just something external then it may be alot easier than dealing with dealers 3 times.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mathman, I am only at stage 1. They adjusted something, and cleared the light. It has been good for a couple of days now, but I'm just waiting for the CEL to come on again (because it will). Sounds like your at stage 3. How is the dealer treating you? Mine said the part is now available, and would be overnighted by Mazda if need be. It just sucks spending your life at the dealer, and this is only one of the many problems we are having with these cars. :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
[quote author=DLUX link=topic=67891.msg1177132#msg1177132 date=1170190321]
Mathman, I am only at stage 1. They adjusted something, and cleared the light. It has been good for a couple of days now, but I'm just waiting for the CEL to come on again (because it will). Sounds like your at stage 3. How is the dealer treating you? Mine said the part is now available, and would be overnighted by Mazda if need be. It just sucks spending your life at the dealer, and this is only one of the many problems we are having with these cars. :D
[/quote]

I called them maybe two weeks ago, and they said no part was available. Then I called the corporate Mazda hotline, who said they’d follow up with the dealer. That same day, I received a survey from my last visit, which I filled out. I was polite, but I let them know that I wasn’t happy about my car not running properly after two trips to the service shop.

Not sure which one of those triggered the action, but I received a call late last week from the service manager saying they would absolutely fix the problem this time and they were providing a rental car for me, something they hadn’t done in the past. I really like the dealer, and my mechanic is a great guy… if I had to guess, I’d say the delays are coming from Mazda North America, and not the dealers. Just a guess, but the dealership has been really nice.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Got my MS3 back from the dealership. I brought it in becuase of the P2006 IMR CEL.

The work invoice says they "removed secondary shutter valve and adjusted"

Anyone know what kind of effect removing the shutter valve has if any?

·
Registered
906 Posts
[quote author=aviateur link=topic=67891.msg1179747#msg1179747 date=1170289419]
Got my MS3 back from the dealership. I brought it in becuase of the P2006 IMR CEL.

[/quote]

LOL, they removed it to adjust it, then reinstalled it. They didn't take it off and throw it out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
[quote author=Boother link=topic=67891.msg1179792#msg1179792 date=1170291330]
[quote author=aviateur link=topic=67891.msg1179747#msg1179747 date=1170289419]

[/quote]

LOL, they removed it to adjust it, then reinstalled it. They didn't take it off and throw it out.
[/quote]

:dur: Now that I read it a few more times, it all makes sense :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am at step 1 myself. Adjusted and cleared light. That sux because the dealer is over an hour away!
Stupid bandaid fixes!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
as it was pointed out p2006 code is the secondary shutter valve is stuck closed. Mazda is currently
working on a fix. The problem only seems to be a problem in colder climates, which mazda did not recongnize. They have sent out scat teams to address the issue. As for the fix. we remove the secondary shutter valve acuator and enlarge two mounting holes so the actuator (plunger) can move farther and open or close it. At this point that is all we can do as they are still developing the part. It just seems they like to take there time with it. One reason some of you may still have this problem, is after they enlarge the two mounting holes, the actuator (which has a very small point at the end to contact the shutter valve arm) end is not aligned with the arm and is actually resting on the rubber boot. Just imagine when have a specific screw of bolt that holds a bracket. Now when you inlargen those holes that the screw or bolt goes into, the mount or whatever your screwing down, can be moved. It is hard to see this unless you take out the battery and the intake/intake box. This actuator is actually on the drivers side of the intercooler. You have to take off the plastic sheild ant then you can kind of see it, but it is a bitch to get at. I hope this clears some issues up. . Im sure mazda will develope a new acuator or plunger to fix this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
um yea I guess you can say that. :D I am a senior tech at a nameless mazda dealer in the midwest. You see the problem is alot of techs dont like forums because they believe that you will bitch about some prolblem you found on the forums from some other mazda owner. I think there a good tool and a way to expand your knowledge.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts