Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I snagged up a spare intake mani not too long ago because I wanted to step things up a notch during my build. After seeing how restrictive some of the runners were, and knowing how lame the VCTS system is from my previous 3 sedan, I knew there were gains to be had.

And here is the results. I had quite a bit of material taken out of the manifold, the holes for the VCTS system welded up, and then everything was polished up. Also got it coated in the same cast iron color that my valve cover is. Should pick up a nice amount of power off this one.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
:eek:

:bananahump:

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
sexy. ill trade ya 3's got to teach me to drive stick tho

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking it should work out VERY well.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No pics of the stock one, I'll put up comparisons of the 2 side by side when I install it. I was shocked how much material was removed though, quite a bit was taken off. As far as how long it took, I dunno, I had a local speed shop do it. I coated it myself.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
can't wait to see the pics and hear about the results.

hope you feel it is worth the time and money after it is all said and done. :)

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, I'm sure its worth it, just getting the holes in the runners for the VCTS welded shut was worth it alone.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I hear our IM is very restricted. I think steedspeed was looking into one too... I cant see the pics at work but I cant wait to check it out. MAP up in MN has a members IM right now and said they were going to flow test it and see what gains they could get... be very cool to have another big hp bolt on :)

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
[quote author=cosmicsp33d3 link=topic=140547.msg3031323#msg3031323 date=1238591199]
I hear our IM is very restricted. I think steedspeed was looking into one too... I cant see the pics at work but I cant wait to check it out. MAP up in MN has a members IM right now and said they were going to flow test it and see what gains they could get... be very cool to have another big hp bolt on :)
[/quote]
+ a cel though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
man I wish I would have thought of that before anybody else back in January of 2008
:lol:
did you have the EGR removed?
what are you going to do about the VCTS CEL?
did you open up the TB area as well? Because the mani is smaller then the TB 60mm bore
you can consolidate vacuum lines as well
what about all of those raised edges and mounts for the vacuum chamber and TMIC that can be hacked off/smoothed?
I still do this service for members on 6club and msf.org to this day

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
ok so you reworked the manny before amd did. so what. your not the 1st guy and your not the last. amd was just saying he did his.

·
Registered
88 Posts
[quote author=Marne_Aeok link=topic=140547.msg3031391#msg3031391 date=1238593864]
ok so you reworked the manny before amd did. so what. your not the 1st guy and your not the last. amd was just saying he did his.
[/quote]

sorry to inform you but I was the first
point of my post was to help him with a few other things that the mani needs other than the VCTS removed and some material hogged out
also you have to watch how much or far you gasket match unless you are porting the head as well otherwise you cause an airflow restriction vs the attempt to promote additional flow
there is a fix for VCTS CEL caused by removing the plunger and solenoid
plus I make EGR block off plates as well

1 - 20 of 31 Posts