Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a f2 used, and I noticed it didn't come with a silicone hose for the oil catch line

I also noticed some owners have extremely long hoses going from the intake to the engine.

What's the purpose of this, and is it absolutely necessary? The intake itself just has a pipe extending from it, and it isn't threaded. The k/n intake has a much smaller hose, but I believe it serves the purpose just to hold the oil catch line in place.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
It's not strictly necessary. You can pick up a little mini filter that plugs into the back of the valve cover to provide ventilation, and then just plug the hole in the intake (I used thick adhesive-backed aluminum foil, like the stuff used to seal heating ducts)

Either that, or you can just ghetto rig something using a bit of vacuum hose from a hardware store, to go from the back of the valve cover to the intake. Actually, I think that's all the tube with the F2 was--no fancy connectors, just one of those springy hose clamps on each end.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright I'll just plug the thing, or find some hose to hook up. Just to make sure, there's nothing to build up in the TB right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
I actually prefer to stick a filter in the valve cover, rather than having the thing hooked up to the intake. I don't like that oily residue could make its way from the valve cover into my intake :?

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Actaully it provides a certain amount of vaccum to the crank case during higher throttle operations when the PCV valve will not/doesn't operate. It is not strictly needed, but it does provide ventilation of the crank case and reduces pressures within the crank case (IE better ring sealing).

So it is a good idea to have it hooked up. It won't destroy the engine to have it unhooked (the PCV valve/system is much MUCH more important to have hooked up).
-Matt

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. I'm just going to get a hose and fit it on there. I asked a few other people and they said if it's there, use the damn thing lol.

Does anyone know if there is significant vacuum pressure on that particular tube? I'm just going to ghetto rig a rubber stopper on there with uh, tape, so I can drive to store.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts