Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

taken from press kit:
"Available as well is a new amber-red and blue instrument panel
backlighting system, which links changes in illumination to switch
operation. This improves visibility, is easy on the eye and adds another
element of precision and control to overall vehicle functionality."

I did't understood all of it :) so means this that there is a switch
where you can change the backlight to amber-red or to blue?

I have only saw pictures where those lights are red. Is there any
pictures with blue backlighting system?

Is there this kind of option in Mazda6? I have driven Mazda6 once
and then I didn't noticed this kind of option at all.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
The 6 is red only. I'm not really sure what that means, but I doubt it's switchable. Perhaps depending on the trim level it is different, or perhaps parts are red and parts are blue? I'm not really sure.

·
Registered
984 Posts
This is from the Mazda3 microsite on MazdaUSA.com. From the picture I think they mean red print on blue background.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That instument lighting is actually very nice and easy on the eyes compared to the 6.....

The blue background lighting seems to soften it a little..

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Yes they very much do look like the RX8 ones, now that you mention it. I went to check out the RX8 the other day, very nice.

They aren't electroluminescent though, and (I think?) the RX8 ones are.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Redeemer said:
Hi,

taken from press kit:
"Available as well is a new amber-red and blue instrument panel
backlighting system, which links changes in illumination to switch
operation. This improves visibility, is easy on the eye and adds another
element of precision and control to overall vehicle functionality."

I did't understood all of it :) so means this that there is a switch
where you can change the backlight to amber-red or to blue?

I have only saw pictures where those lights are red. Is there any
pictures with blue backlighting system?

Is there this kind of option in Mazda6? I have driven Mazda6 once
and then I didn't noticed this kind of option at all.

When you have the light turned off, the backlight on the panel is in amber-red. On the other hand, when light is on, then the backlight is in blue.
(went for a test drive yesterday)

·
Registered
177 Posts
yes it looks really nice similar to the VW's

·
Registered
984 Posts
Why did the pic I post change to the side view of the gray sedan?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Indeed ! I test drove a Sport GT on Friday and YES you can toggle between blue and red background. Not the actual speed numbers, only the background, which is awsome in blue. With the red background, it's way too bright and reddish.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sweet sounds like it'll be the same background as my Golf which I REALLY like.

Speaking of multiple colors though I heard one of the latest (fords IIRC) are coming with 126 color switchable dash lights!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Is there a way to change the background of the information screen [Where time and station or CD band is shown] to white or pale blue..

I can deal with the red instrument cluster, but the info screen gets tiring and hard to read.

It reminds me of working in the darkroom when I has my own photo enlarger.
Len

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=mimosa link=topic=80.msg434158#msg434158 date=1128714864]
Is there a way to change the background of the information screen [Where time and station or CD band is shown] to white or pale blue..

I can deal with the red instrument cluster, but the info screen gets tiring and hard to read.

Len
[/quote]

Some people have changed the LCD to be black background with red type (to look like the 6's) by removing the polarizing film from the LCD and flipping it around.

Try http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=29262.0 he's done a little more than just the LCD mod though. :) I'm not sure where the walkthrough on doing the LCD mod is but search around and you should be able to find it. As for changing it to white or blue you might be able to put in some blue filters instead of red on the LCD but I really have no idea. It wouldn't be a "flip a switch" solution though, it would involve taking apart the LCD every time you wanted to change the color.

·
Registered
51 Posts
[quote author=lexterminator link=topic=80.msg8653#msg8653 date=1070166918]
Indeed ! I test drove a Sport GT on Friday and YES you can toggle between blue and red background. Not the actual speed numbers, only the background, which is awsome in blue. With the red background, it's way too bright and reddish.
[/quote]

I just got an '06 and I have found no way to switch the background color. The only thing that determines the background color of the guages is whether on not the headlights are on.

Please explain...

Cabo

·
Registered
154 Posts
yes the instrument panel does change colours. My friend showed me yesterday but i didnt pay much attention cuz i was more focused on checking out the stereo. But ye it seemes do be red with lights turned off, green with them 1/2 turned on, and blue/red when fully turned on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
[quote author=icspots link=topic=80.msg434331#msg434331 date=1128725687]
[quote author=mimosa link=topic=80.msg434158#msg434158 date=1128714864]

Len
[/quote]

Some people have changed the LCD to be black background with red type (to look like the 6's) by removing the polarizing film from the LCD and flipping it around. 

Try http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=29262.0 he's done a little more than just the LCD mod though. :)  I'm not sure where the walkthrough on doing the LCD mod is but search around and you should be able to find it.  As for changing it to white or blue you might be able to put in some blue filters instead of red on the LCD but I really have no idea.  It wouldn't be a "flip a switch" solution though, it would involve taking apart the LCD every time you wanted to change the color.

[/quote]

cool thx for the info

·
Registered
180 Posts
The S models have the upgraded gauges. When the doors are open, the blue backlighting is on. Once the car is turned on, and headlights on, they can either be a dimmed red with blue shadow, or a real bright red. There is a button just to the top-left of the speedo that toggles between the two modes. Really can only tell a difference with the headlights on and dark outside. I think the bright option is too bright for nighttime, but is good in bright light.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts