Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to install XM in my new 3. Unfortunately, I can't use a tape adapter, but I can still use the FM modulator. Even at that, the sound quality isn't that great. I was wondering if there is any way you can utilize the tape/MD button and plug in direct in the back to use as an AUX-IN to get a direct connection, or if there is any other way to plug directly in even without using the FM Modulator. Anyone?

·
Registered
267 Posts
There's a mod posted somewhere on the board to crack the head unit open, solder down some wires to some test points which are the Audio in for the tape player. That way, pressing the TAPE/MD button gets you the AUX In you were looking for. I'm a little lazy right now to post the link though. Search for it. I believe it was an RX-8 Mod.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Nice hack job he did. I don't think I could do that to my baby. And I'm a lazy bastard. lol

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
How much do you think the tape deck costs? It goes into the "lower" bay of the modular system right? I still have a cassette tape adaptor from my old Sony CD Walkman and I used as an input for laptop sound and mp3 player sound in lieu of an aux-in jack.

·
Registered
36 Posts
rpc180 said:
How much do you think the tape deck costs? It goes into the "lower" bay of the modular system right? I still have a cassette tape adaptor from my old Sony CD Walkman and I used as an input for laptop sound and mp3 player sound in lieu of an aux-in jack.
I think I saw somewhere that the tape deck is around $200 US...

My question is: Can you have the 6-disc changer and the tape? I'd like to avoid using FM mod with my Roady... and it doesn't sound like there'll be a PIE adapter for new Mazdas any time soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You cannot install a tape deck and cd changer at the same time. The MP3 player installs where the existing cd is, so you can still install a md, tape, or cd changer underneath.

The mod thats in production that I linked to takes place of the tape/cd changer, so you'll be left with the builtin cd/mp3 and a line-in only.

·
Registered
315 Posts
patricklang said:
http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17396

Here's another interesting thread. He claims to have created his own line-in board that fools the radio into thinking there's a tape/md, and is planning to sell it for $50.
Dude, if they get the SPDIF thing working, I would be on that in a jiffy. $50 vs. buying a new head unit with digital output (nearly non-existent for a decent price in the US).

·
Registered
36 Posts
patricklang said:
You cannot install a tape deck and cd changer at the same time. The MP3 player installs where the existing cd is, so you can still install a md, tape, or cd changer underneath.

The mod thats in production that I linked to takes place of the tape/cd changer, so you'll be left with the builtin cd/mp3 and a line-in only.
According to the install instructions posted in another thread, you can have a tape deck with the CD changer, as the changer occupies the same space as the standard single CD or MP3 deck.

I'll have to see how much this would cost...

The combos appear to be:

Main unit: [Single CD] [MP3 CD] [6 CD Changer]
Secondary: [Mini Disk] [Cassette]

·
Registered
111 Posts
you don't need to add a tape deck to get a line-in. You can use the CD or CD changer, and just run a blank CD in there. That's what I'm doing right now. And no, a dealership will probably not hack the headunit for you. I'll do it for $50 if you want :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
What is the quality gained over a tape deck from FM? My Sirius equipment acutally plugs into the antenna and I get very good sound quality. Not quite CD quality, but better than the strongest FM station you can pick up. I don't know if a tape player is going to give you that big of an improvement in sound quality over FM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts