Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a component system in my 3 and i'm confused. I have factory tweeters, and the crossover that comes with the system has input for one speaker wire and the output for the speaker and tweeter. So would I just put the stock tweeter wires and the stock speaker wire together on the input of the crossover? I dont know what to do. Iknow the new tweeters are supposed to run from the crossover so I dont know what to do with the stock tweeter wire. Please Help!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=TLJ 3 link=topic=138444.msg2983326#msg2983326 date=1236617307]
I'm installing a component system in my 3 and i'm confused. I have factory tweeters, and the crossover that comes with the system has input for one speaker wire and the output for the speaker and tweeter. So would I just put the stock tweeter wires and the stock speaker wire together on the input of the crossover? I dont know what to do. Iknow the new tweeters are supposed to run from the crossover so I dont know what to do with the stock tweeter wire. Please Help!
[/quote]

There is no factory crossover in the non-Bose stock stereo, so the signal going to the tweeter and the signal going to the midbass is the same (there's a HPF built into the factory tweeters). Connect the wiring that goes to the midbass to your crossover, then leave the factory tweeter wiring unused.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks thats all I needed.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah man i got a component system

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Which one did you get, Im looking for an upgrade myself. And do aftermarket tweeters fit in the factory location without mod?

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
God no. The stock tweeter grilles are integrated into the sail panels--you've got to grind them completely down to mount new tweeters. Either that or get blank panels from the dealer and dremel out a hole.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I honestly dont want to say what brand because im gonna get flamed.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Hey, anything is better than stock. I actually tried to install a Pioneer component system this weekend and decided I didn't want to completely ruin my OEM sail panels, so I ordered a pair of blank ones from an i model to use... pushing back the install to next weekend.

I also decided to just use the factory wiring going through the door to my crossovers, instead of having to deal with drilling out the door jamb harness to accept bigger wire. I figured out the same thing as mentioned above-- the wiring going to the stock midbass and tweeter are just split from the same signal, they are no different. So I'm just going to plug my crossover into the stock wiring for the midbass speaker, then run my own wiring from there to each of my new components. Hopefully it still sounds good...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let me know how the install goes. I have a aftermarket headunit coming in tommorow and I will probably install the components on wensday. I'll keep ya'll posted on how well the sonys sound. The panasonic headunit I ordered puts out like 32x4 watts rms and 70x4 peak. I'm going to see how they sound powered by the headunit. But I may put a amp on them I have a mtx pro 504 4 channel. I'm not sure if im going to use the amp or not.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=138444.msg2984798#msg2984798 date=1236658026]
God no. The stock tweeter grilles are integrated into the sail panels--you've got to grind them completely down to mount new tweeters. Either that or get blank panels from the dealer and dremel out a hole.
[/quote]

Not necessarily. The factory tweeters simply unclip from the back of the sail panels, and some aftermarket tweeters will fit in their place. My Infinity Reference tweeters fit perfectly; they were a little deeper than the factory tweeters, but a bit of hot glue keeps them in place. Best of all, the sail panels still look completely stock -- nobody knows I have aftermarket speakers. Test fit your aftermarket tweeters before you write off the sail panels.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A word of advice for anyone planning to get the blank sail panels for a aftermarket tweeter install:

Make sure you look at the mounting depth and any obstructions behind the panels before you drill your hole!

I picked out what I thought was a good spot and went to town with the hole saw. Boy, this was too easy! Then I went to pop the panels back into place and found that my new flush mount tweeter was right where the wiring harness for the power mirror was :dur:. I did my best to try to adapt and it's not too bad, but my right tweeter is a mm or two from being flush. If I want it to be perfect, I'll have to order another set of blank panels.

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
[quote author=DrWebster link=topic=138444.msg2985084#msg2985084 date=1236687601]
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=138444.msg2984798#msg2984798 date=1236658026]
[/quote]

Not necessarily. The factory tweeters simply unclip from the back of the sail panels, and some aftermarket tweeters will fit in their place. My Infinity Reference tweeters fit perfectly; they were a little deeper than the factory tweeters, but a bit of hot glue keeps them in place. Best of all, the sail panels still look completely stock -- nobody knows I have aftermarket speakers. Test fit your aftermarket tweeters before you write off the sail panels.
[/quote]

Well okay, if your tweeters are over 1" diameter or whatever the stockers are you'll need to do some dremeling. The tweeter grilles are 2" diameter but the tweeters themselves are tiny by comparison.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I guess your tweeters didn't come with optional mounts?  I used mounts so that the tweeters point directly to the me and not to the other tweeter.  Tweeters can be highly directional, so I wanted it to point to me.

I bought the blank sail panels and then only had to drill a relatively small hole.  I didn't have to put the tweeter behind the panel.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont know how im mounting my tweeters yet. I may flushmount but im still unshure.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
[quote author=elliot link=topic=138444.msg2985415#msg2985415 date=1236700181]
I guess your tweeters didn't come with optional mounts? I used mounts so that the tweeters point directly to the me and not to the other tweeter. Tweeters can be highly directional, so I wanted it to point to me.

I bought the blank sail panels and then only had to drill a relatively small hole. I didn't have to put the tweeter behind the panel.

[/quote]

This is exactly how I plan to mount mine when I get the blank sail panels.

·
Registered
171 Posts
[quote author=elliot link=topic=138444.msg2985415#msg2985415 date=1236700181]
I guess your tweeters didn't come with optional mounts?[/quote]

Yeah, mine came with the option for angled surface mount, but I prefer the flush look.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts