Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think it would look cool with maybe an indash monitor to play dvds...or is there someone in the car u can put a monitor in? along witht he needed equipment as well? just wondering...because that would be a sweet lookin ride hehee...

EDIT: Topic's heading for clarity :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
I had thought about finding the factory nav dash insert and replacing the non-nav dash insert. Then put the LCD screen from the DVD into the nav position and rewire it. I dont know where you would find dash parts this early, but its an idea.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I don't think there is a spot on the dash if you don't have the Mazda navi system. There was talk about it somewhere on here. When I drove it looked like it was just a dash, no compartment or anything.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
The dash for non-NAV Mz3s are not like non-NAV Mz6s. In order to have the opening in the dash you must buy the car with NAV.

The only way I can think of finding a NAV dash would be to talk to the dealer. They should be able to order one from their parts list...

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Even if u did install an aftermarket DVD/Nav setup, how would you play it through the factory?

It would be independant... rendering the factory stereo useless.

·
Registered
563 Posts
From what I had noticed, it seemes like the center part of the dash(where the nav may/may not be) is a different piece. It's not solid. It seems to travel from the top of the stereo to the windshield and run about a foot wide. You may be able to replace this panel with the panel from a nav dash and then seat and LCD in the gap where the nav screen would go. As for audio, thats the next step.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I wouldnt worry about the screen install. Its the audio side.

One idea is to ditch the factory entirely and run an independant system. At least the display of the factory can still light up. And you keep the clock.

If it were me, and I had to have Nav/DVD.. I would mold a din + 1/2 din on the dash where the factory goes. Add the nav unit. And an Audiocontrol 3.1 in the 1/2 din section. It would raise the middle of the dash a good 3" or so.. but the screen would be retractable.

Only quick drawback... the sun will take its toll on it. Sooner or later the screen will be warped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts