Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never done anything to a car in regards to lighting, never even changed a lightbulb. I really, really wanna get HID's though, so I'm just wondering how hard it is to install a set, between the new bulb, ballast, etc. Is it hard to run all the wires and stuff. Anyway, lemme know, i know i sound like a rookie, cause i am :D . Hopfully I'll be able to do this though.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Its simple 12v installation.

There are 2 different styles: Single Filament LOW only, Double Filament LOW/HIGH. The difference Ive noticed is, the Double Filament has another box that controls the LOW and HIGH, and its the size of 2 ballasts and a little thicker.

Its a straight forward install, if you have any knowledge of say, a stereo. The control box gets 12v and ground. Have to mount the ballast and ignitor for each side.

Hardest part IMO, hiding all the wires. Most HID kits come with everything pre-measured, cut, and terminated with a connector.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, but with a H7 HID conversation kit, I have a HID bulb, connect that with the igniter, then connect that to the ballast, and that connects to the original harness that connects to the headlight?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems easy enough, but as far as the wiring harness goes, the lights im looking at, http://www.xenonfactory.com/products/hid/philips.htm, it says that it bypass's the factory headlight wiring for safety reasons. Does that mean you have to run new wires to say the fuse box or something like that? I may be way off, but right now thats what im picturing in my head. Let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No running new wires to fuse box. The harness connects battery & ground to the ballast and that is that. Then the ballast connects to the bulb and harness (2 connections).

The harness will include a fuse and relay system.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Most good systems (Philips and Catz) integrate with the factory headlight plug.

Hence why there are specific kits for specific cars (H1, H7, 9005, 9007).

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I don't know if the after market bulb will fit in that little hole so that the metal clip will be able to clip it inplace.

From what I remembered, the H7 bulb has a plastic ring that attached to the bulb, then the metal clip clips onto that part, goes on the water seal, then on goes the wiring harness. If that plastic ring is removed, and the ballast is connected to the harness, wil the bulb be held in place?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Some H7's dont accept retrofit HID kits. Take the E46 BMW for example.

The rear connector device covers the entire H7 bulb which is not going to work when retrofitting the H7 HID bulb that has two wires in need of routing to the ballast coming out from the back of it where the standard H7 does not.

This is a solid reason we are making the H7 Ti 70w bulbs - because its the next best thing to HID and the only choice if HID's do not fit correctly!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
So with the mazda 3, there is a connector connecting to the H7 bulb which WILL NOT be used with the HID bulb? Since the clip is clipping onto that rear connector piece, when I put in the HID bulb, the clip will NOT be able to clip into place, so my bulb will not be held in place? So does that mean it doesn't fit then? or will the clip be able to clip onto the HID bulb? since most car uses the same clip.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Can't wait to get the 70W Ti bulbs! The wait is killing me! we wants it! a_kaup, put some pressure on the guys making them lol. :wink:

·
Registered
238 Posts
question about HIDs

i'm located in Canada where we have DRL (Daylight Running Lights) and I noticed that this meant the low beams will be always turned on.

I heard that HIDs shouldnt be on all the time so I'm wondering if it's still really possible to install HIDs on Canadian Mz3.

Also, the auto headlights might become a problem as well.

Anyone have any possible solutions?

·
Registered
234 Posts
talking about DRLs, all cars sell in Canadian market should have DRLs, remember this means when the cars come out from the manufacture to the Canadian ports.
after sale, that means the car owners have choice to disable them (I don't know if it is legal), you can see a lot of cars on the road already have no DRLs.

·
Registered
238 Posts
it's illegel to drive a car with no DRL in Canada

i think it's only legal for cars manufactured before a certain year to have no DRL

·
Registered
238 Posts
yeah...but that's probably just waay too much into the technical stuff for me......

i think i'll just drop the idea of HIDs for now

1 - 18 of 18 Posts