Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Race Pipe in and installed it today. However, I have a question.

On launching the car, I noticed that when I shift from 1st to 2nd that I hear a loud flex at the bottom of the car. If I dont shift super fast, I dont hear anything, but when I shift aggressive I definitely hear a loud flex at the bottom of the car. :shock:

I checked underneath, everything is still bolted correctly and everything.

The only mods I have are the MS CAI and this race pipe. I know its nothing to do with the CAI (since I had it for a week and never had this).

My guess, is that when I shift hard from 1st to 2nd the engine torques hard and flexes with the race pipe in (since the 2nd cat stock had the spring bolts - it allowed it to flex more and with the rubber mount). But with the race pipe, since it just bolts on to the downpipe and the intermediate pipe, it has no room to flex. So it makes a loud flex noise.

Has anyone else noticed this? This cant be a good thing to do right?

Now, dont get me wrong, with the MS CAI, my car went from wow to WOW. With this race pipe it just went to WOOW! :shock: But with that flexing noise, it makes me kinda worried to push it.

Do most of you that have the race pipe have the Rear mount installed. If so, and you don't hear that noise, that makes sense, since your engine isnt going to be allowed to flex as much as mine, it wont put a strain on your race pipe bolts.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I have a similar setup... my guess is this...

the racepipe has a flexpipe welded inline so we don't have to use the spring and bolt combo. I am willing to bet that you are hearing the potion of the pipe moving while changing gears. it is desinged to absorb the excess vibrations of (a) the engine torquing the exhaust up and down and, (b) the normal expansion and flexion of the stainless steel used in manufacture. There might be some sort of foreign debris in the ridges of the flexpipe somewhere... amplifying the normal action of it. I would not concern myself too much with the noise. I DO NOT have the read mount installed, and the only extra sound I get is an added high-pitched whistle of the turbo spooling. And it is different from the whine that I hear from my installing the CPe intake.

Just remember that there is a flexpipe in there, so any vibrations are sucked up in it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the AWR 70 and can tell ya the engine moves maybe 20% as much as it used to. I'd put in the AWR or wait for the SU. It's supposed to be a little softer but still hold the motor in place.

Race pipe is hopefully my next performance mod.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts