Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too bad of an install. The WORST part was I dropped a bushing towards the front of the assembly so I spent a good 5 minutes trying to fish it out with my hand. :lol:

The easiest way I found was to just lift the center console and pull up on the most rear part of the cup holder plastic. It will pop off and you can tilt it almost completely forward and it will slide right off barely rubbing the ebrake in its locked position. The shift boot area also pops off in the same fashion, just unscrew the knob and lift from the rear. You'll be able to see how the parts "lock" via the snap clips.

Thats the only thing I took out after wasting a few minutes unbolting the rear like the instructions say. I actually had 2 8mm bolts and not phillip head screws.

Anyway, wasn't too bad with a 6 in + 3 in extension and my 10mm. Push the plastic aside for the bottom left corner and top right. Plastic scratched my hands up just a bit.

For those who haven't installed a set of bushings yet and will soon, PLEASE READ BELOW AND REPLY
Did anyone take note of how the stock bushings were? I just breezed thru it and forgot to document how the stocks look like...especially where the particular metal bushings went. Seems like the metal inserts are different sizes. Could someone who is going to install a set number the sizes and how the rubber bushings were positioned and take a pic? My metal bushings have two large holes, one almost oval size, and another half the size of the larger ones. I'd just like to know where they belong.

Thanks and hope it was helpful. I didn't notice a HUGE difference because I liked the stock feel. I just see this as preventive maintainence measure for the future :). It does make it slightly more easier to shift into gears. More of a mechanical feel..rugged if you will. :thinking: For under $30, it was one of those too cheap to ignore mods. :lol:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
sounds like you experienced the same problems as many. I have a nice 12" extension, so I hope that will help.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12" extension will help but I think the biggest help would have been a pivoting head socket. The two top ones are a little bit of a pain.

·
Registered
756 Posts
[quote author=awdturbo link=topic=71979.msg1266639#msg1266639 date=1173874818]

For those who haven't installed a set of bushings yet and will soon, PLEASE READ BELOW AND REPLY
Did anyone take note of how the stock bushings were? I just breezed thru it and forgot to document how the stocks look like...especially where the particular metal bushings went. Seems like the metal inserts are different sizes. Could someone who is going to install a set number the sizes and how the rubber bushings were positioned and take a pic? My metal bushings have two large holes, one almost oval size, and another half the size of the larger ones. I'd just like to know where they belong.

Thanks and hope it was helpful. I didn't notice a HUGE difference because I liked the stock feel. I just see this as preventive maintainence measure for the future :). It does make it slightly more easier to shift into gears. More of a mechanical feel..rugged if you will. :thinking: For under $30, it was one of those too cheap to ignore mods. :lol:
[/quote]

I really do not understand what you are asking. All the bushings that I removed were the same size and shape: 4 rubber and 4 metal inserts. All the same size and shape. The thick portion of the rubber was underneath the shifter base and the inserts were from above.

The difference is suttle. I put mine in last Friday and only after driving it for a few days did I notice a slightly more than suttle improvement in shifting. I paid $40. Where did you get them for under $30? If mazda3online sold them to me expensive, I'm never going to buy anything from them again.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine are not the same size, maybe they got mangled trying to pull them wiggle them out with my screw driver. One for SURE is definitely not as big of a hole as the others.

I got it for under $30 shipped from a member who had an extra set. The group buy that ended already also had them for $10 cheaper than the website's that were selling them. I wouldn't blame mazda3online for that. :klavergreg:

Thanks for answering where the thick portion of the rubber bushings were located! :D

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
yeah the group buy price was around $26-27 shipped? Not mazda3online's fault that you didn't shop around ;)

Glad you enjoy the bushings, I probably will be able to get more 'bushing only' kits for a group buy coming sometime in april ish when the short shifter comes out.

-Matt

·
Banned
38 Posts
I made and installed a set of bushings a couple of nights ago, and my stock bushing inserts varied like awdturbo's. If I recall correctly they were installed in the following order:

Top Right -Small
Bottom Right -Large
Bottom Left -Oval
Top Left -Large

I figured that the small ID insert was to locate the assembly, so I drilled the upper right one for a tight fit (1/4") and the rest for extra clearence (5/16"), which for the record is a little snug, as the lower left bolt went in tight. Also, if you make these yourself, don't make them thinner than 1/4" as the stock bolts will be too long, 5/16" would be better.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you artisanx, your input is VERY much appreciated!

I was going to go the real low cost route (again my DSMr habits) and just use skateboard bearings..but figured I should just spend the money to keep it non ghetto..heh.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
i was able to install these bushings in about 20 minutes... all while holding the phone with one hand. the center console comes out like butter... and the hardest part for me was pushing the one shifter cable off and lining the whole base back up right. just running through the gears with the car off and it feels a little more solid. i will definitely test out the quick shift tonight.

i really could have made these bushings also, but for the 30 bucks it wasn't worth the time to drill out some steel. the other thing to consider was the tiny ledge that is machined in to center the bushing. unless I pulled out the lathe, i would have a tough time getting that accurate...even with a drill press.

another satisfied customer.... now to tackle the exhaust removal issue..... :thinking:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder if the Mazda techs will be able to tell if they are installed or not. I'd hate to have them void my whole transmission/clutch/etc due to this part. I'm sure they could say that the bushings unaligned the base causing the cables to misshift into gear which over time wore out the synchros...etc etc. :lol:

One other thing I was contemplating was if I have it the shifter base totally center correctly. 2nd still takes a small amount of effort now and then and it feels like its not fully disengaged when I shift from 1st to 2nd. The others are all fine. I have such a short term memory that I don't remember how the stock rubber ones felt already. :lol:

Anyone else have the same findings?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
i blasted through the gears a few times and only missed 2nd once. the quick shift from 2-3 and 3-4 was flawless... but I really did forget the feeling before also. i think the harder you drive the more you notice..

i like the joke on the warrantee.... I;m sure some moron will probably think you were serious! :lol:

·
Registered
756 Posts
[quote author=awdturbo link=topic=71979.msg1268033#msg1268033 date=1173917158]
I wonder if the Mazda techs will be able to tell if they are installed or not. I'd hate to have them void my whole transmission/clutch/etc due to this part. I'm sure they could say that the bushings unaligned the base causing the cables to misshift into gear which over time wore out the synchros...etc etc. :lol:

One other thing I was contemplating was if I have it the shifter base totally center correctly. 2nd still takes a small amount of effort now and then and it feels like its not fully disengaged when I shift from 1st to 2nd. The others are all fine. I have such a short term memory that I don't remember how the stock rubber ones felt already. :lol:

Anyone else have the same findings?
[/quote]

For me 6th gear is the hardest specially from 2nd to 6th for cruising mode (gas saving in residential/commercial areas). It improved a little with the bushings but not much. It's smooth from 5th of course.

If any tech ever has to go into your shifter base, your car might be very old and beat up and probably out of warranty anyway. I just don't see any reason why these bushings would impact the transmission. For peace of mind for you, if you ever have to go to the dealer for any transmission related failure, just put the stock bushings back.

By the way, it's not nice to make fun of a genuine concern. This forum is meant for us to help each other without fear of being ridiculed unless you went bling bling with your rims... sorry...

·
Registered
642 Posts
I ordered mine couple of nights ago. Do you guys have to go underneath the vehicle to install this? I know on my mazda 323 and civics back them I had to go underneath and then remove the center console.

The way you guys describes it. It seems like I only have to pull the center console out. That's cool!

·
Registered
757 Posts
[quote author=Tjay link=topic=71979.msg1283294#msg1283294 date=1174546509]
I ordered mine couple of nights ago. Do you guys have to go underneath the vehicle to install this? I know on my mazda 323 and civics back them I had to go underneath and then remove the center console.

The way you guys describes it. It seems like I only have to pull the center console out. That's cool!
[/quote]

They should come with detailed instructions. Half of which you can actually skip. It took me 20 minutes the first time and 15 minutes the second time. Super easy install.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
everything is installed from inside. Take 4 hex bolts out and two screws and you have no more center console. Then you just unscrew the mounts, replace, and re-assemble. Clean in and out.

·
Registered
259 Posts
How long did it take for you guys to get the bushings once ordered???

I ordered mine a few weeks back and have not seen them yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
does anyone have the sts made by twm? just wondering if it's worth almost 160.00 dollars. Also can you combo up the sts and bushings?

thanks!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts