Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 3i didn't come with BOSE neither did it come with tweeters, I know it sux but there's a way to make it better. I don't want to spend too much on stereo, I don't listen to rap often. So this is just a cheap upgrade that just does the trick.

I bought a pair of tweeters from CanadianTires, I used to see the same ones in WalMart but not anymore.

Here's what you need:
1) Any tweeters with capacitors, I used the Pioneer 22mm tweeters, paid $65 CAD for them. Once you get them, you can pretty much throw the metal holders, and the screws, and the instructions into the garbage since you don't need them. If you get the cheap ones without capacitors, chance is that you're going to blow them because they'll try to play the low frequency sound.
2) A cup saw, the 2inch cup saw was perfect. Borrowed mine from a friend so I didn't have to buy it.
3) 4 wire taps, 16~22awg. Got them in CanadianTires for few dollars.
4) A pencil. Don't tell me that you don't have one.
5) A drill would be nice but the cup saw didn't fit my drill. I hand drill them, if you do you might need a pair of gloves. Got the drill for christmas from my girlfriend's dad.
6) Maybe some glue if you suck at drilling holes, I didn't need them.

Total Cost: $70 CAD

Here's what you do:
1) Read through the how-to in the interior mod section so you know how to take the door panel apart
2) Now take the two-piece black panels off by the windows, that's where the stock 3s tweeters sit on
3) Take the 22mm tweeters out of the box, you don't need anything else but the tweeters and the plastic holder
4) Put the plastic holder on one of the panel, put it in with the wider side up so you can mark the position you want to drill with a pencil. Do the same for the other side, try to avoid corners because then they won't look great by the corner.
5) Now take the cup-saw then drill holes on the panels. My cup-saw didn't fit on the drill so I had to hand drill it.
6) Take a knife and clean off the edge a little. Then put the plastic holders that came with the tweeters into the holes from outside. They should sit tight in there but you can always glue them. I didn't have to glue them at all.
7) Run the wires through the holes in the holder so the tweeters can sit inside of the holders.
8) Take the door panels apart, remember to take off the connectors. By the front speakers there are two wires, Grey and White.
9) Use the wire-taps to connect the Grey(Stock) to Black/White(Tweeter). Positive.
10) Use the wire-taps to connect the White(Stock) to Black(Tweeter). Ground.
11) Put everything back together then you're done

Caution:
Do NOT sit on the tweeters during installation, I accidently sit on it so now there is a dent on the grill or whatever you call it, on one of the tweeter. Although it won't affect the sound coming out of it but I like things to be perfect.

Result:
Sound:
The stereo sounds quite a bit nicer, I can really notice a difference and I'm loving my stock none-bose stereo again. This is only a $70 (tweeters + wire taps) upgrade since you don't need an amp or aftermarket HU. That's probably what they do with 3s' stock tweeters anyways so I'd just do this myself.

Visual:
I dented the grill of one tweeter, other than that they look just as good as the stock ones if not better.

I didn't take any pictures since the door removal is already covered by the how-to in the interior mod section. I'm not going to take a picture to show how to use wire-taps because that's common sense. However I think I'll take some pictures of the tweeters tomorrow.

One thing that pissed me off is that one of my fog HID bulb is burning out, but it has nothing to do with these tweeters anyways. I bought them cheap off eBay lol.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Chances are you DO have tweeters; they are in the doors near the mirrors. They just aren't very good tweeters. You have to get your ear within a few inches of them to even tell that they have any output whatsoever.

You could replace just the tweeters I suppose, but the buzzing from the door panels is just as much of an audio problem as the lack of high end frequencies, so you need to open up the doors and install some sound deadening mats.

Then, while you are at it you may as well replace the horrible OEM woofer with something better, so you may as well buy some decent components, if your time is worth anything to you.

As The Fixx would say it, "One Thing Leads to Another ..." but it is the path to true audio satisfaction so you may as well go for it.

I put some $220 Focal Access 165A components in my front doors, and I don't regret it one bit.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=geewhizbang link=topic=69811.msg1216295#msg1216295 date=1171873212]
Chances are you DO have tweeters; they are in the doors near the mirrors. They just aren't very good tweeters. You have to get your ear within a few inches of them to even tell that they have any output whatsoever.

You could replace just the tweeters I suppose, but the buzzing from the door panels is just as much of an audio problem as the lack of high end frequencies, so you need to open up the doors and install some sound deadening mats.

Then, while you are at it you may as well replace the horrible OEM woofer with something better, so you may as well buy some decent components, if your time is worth anything to you.

As The Fixx would say it, "One Thing Leads to Another ..." but it is the path to true audio satisfaction so you may as well go for it.

I put some $220 Focal Access 165A components in my front doors, and I don't regret it one bit.

[/quote]

My 3i didn't come with tweeters, so I drill holes on the panel above the door by the mirrors and put them there. That's probably good enough for me, the stock HU isn't that great anyways, no point of spending more money. I rather save money for visual mods :)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have to agree with geewiz. I dont listen to rap and new speakers were a must. You really dont know what your missing. After having a system in my old car moving to the stock 3 system was a chore. I installed infinity's in all the door and there great. I really recommend the infinity 60.7s. You can get em from around 130 and its all worth it. They dont have to be amped to sound good either.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=mentalcase link=topic=69811.msg1223412#msg1223412 date=1172127499]
I have to agree with geewiz. I dont listen to rap and new speakers were a must. You really dont know what your missing. After having a system in my old car moving to the stock 3 system was a chore. I installed infinity's in all the door and there great. I really recommend the infinity 60.7s. You can get em from around 130 and its all worth it. They dont have to be amped to sound good either.
[/quote]

Sorry for being an audio noob but $130 are for 1? a pair? or all 4? I think the stock speakers are okay, it's the setup that sux. They put the rear speakers so low, not anywhere near the ear level. Plus I think the rear ones filtered out some frequency so they barely do anything...It'd be nice to be able to add 2 more speakers by the rear window, behind the head rest of the back seat.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
[quote author=devil2k link=topic=69811.msg1223414#msg1223414 date=1172127791]
[quote author=mentalcase link=topic=69811.msg1223412#msg1223412 date=1172127499]
[/quote]

Sorry for being an audio noob but $130 are for 1? a pair? or all 4? I think the stock speakers are okay, it's the setup that sux. They put the rear speakers so low, not anywhere near the ear level. Plus I think the rear ones filtered out some frequency so they barely do anything...It'd be nice to be able to add 2 more speakers by the rear window, behind the head rest of the back seat.
[/quote]

$130 is for a set ( 2 woofers, 2 tweeters, and 2 crossovers). Dont bother adding more rear speakers. When it comes to sound higher frequencies are directional. That is why tweeters are the best way to go in the fronts where imaging is important. As for rear fill, as many have mentioned before on the site they are not necessary. I had an older set on infinity 5x7 2-ways left over from my first car and i used those in the rear doors. Imaging is not as important in the back as in the front. Who cares about the rear passengers lol. What nice about the 2-ways is that they still separate the high from the lows, just in one compact speaker so mounting a tweeter is not needed(the tweeter is built into the center on the speaker, it still uses a small crossover to separate the frequencies though). Also, the tweeter can be aimed where ever the sound should be. It helps a little, but not too much. So trust us when we say replacing the stock speakers is a much better choice. BTW lower frequencies, like bass, is not directional. So the woofer can be mounted anywhere really.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote author=mentalcase link=topic=69811.msg1223424#msg1223424 date=1172129059]
$130 is for a set ( 2 woofers, 2 tweeters, and 2 crossovers). Dont bother adding more rear speakers. When it comes to sound higher frequencies are directional. That is why tweeters are the best way to go in the fronts where imaging is important. As for rear fill, as many have mentioned before on the site they are not necessary. I had an older set on infinity 5x7 2-ways left over from my first car and i used those in the rear doors. Imaging is not as important in the back as in the front. Who cares about the rear passengers lol. What nice about the 2-ways is that they still separate the high from the lows, just in one compact speaker so mounting a tweeter is not needed(the tweeter is built into the center on the speaker, it still uses a small crossover to separate the frequencies though). Also, the tweeter can be aimed where ever the sound should be. It helps a little, but not too much. So trust us when we say replacing the stock speakers is a much better choice. BTW lower frequencies, like bass, is not directional. So the woofer can be mounted anywhere really.
[/quote]

Geez, now I want a set. It's all your fault, so tempting lol. But what am I going to do with my 2 tweeters then :(

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
[quote author=devil2k link=topic=69811.msg1223431#msg1223431 date=1172129479]
[quote author=mentalcase link=topic=69811.msg1223424#msg1223424 date=1172129059]
[/quote]

Geez, now I want a set. It's all your fault, so tempting lol. But what am I going to do with my 2 tweeters then :(
[/quote]

Return policy?!?!

or the list em on the forums or eat the cost. Its worth it. DOoooo ittttt!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote author=mentalcase link=topic=69811.msg1223439#msg1223439 date=1172130109]
Return policy?!?!

[/quote]

Return policy is there but I cut the wires and dented one of the tweeter's grille. Can I not just get a set without the tweeters?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how about tapping into the rear speakers for the extra two tweeters and mount those suckers somewhere. I know they won't be great but...OH WELL!!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
[quote author=devil2k link=topic=69811.msg1223444#msg1223444 date=1172130872]
[quote author=mentalcase link=topic=69811.msg1223439#msg1223439 date=1172130109]
Return policy?!?!

[/quote]

Return policy is there but I cut the wires and dented one of the tweeter's grille. Can I not just get a set without the tweeters?
[/quote]

You could but dont need the capacitor on the tweeter. Try and return em see what happens.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You really need a full matched set of woofer/tweeter components. The crossover and tweeter need to be designed to go with a specific woofer.

I spent $120 on speakers that I never installed. I just wrote it off as learning curve. Compared to the total cost of the system it was really nothing. I can probably put them in some boxes with some of my scrap MDF and get what I paid for them in a garage sale this summer.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just a Quick question? When you want to replace the stock tweeters in the mazda 3, what size tweeter do you use? I have seen 15, 22, and 30mm tweeters and Im not really familiar with metric so thanks.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote author=turmionkatilot88 link=topic=69811.msg1227577#msg1227577 date=1172259995]
Just a Quick question? When you want to replace the stock tweeters in the mazda 3, what size tweeter do you use? I have seen 15, 22, and 30mm tweeters and Im not really familiar with metric so thanks.
[/quote]

I think it's 22mm

·
Registered
280 Posts
[quote author=turmionkatilot88 link=topic=69811.msg1227577#msg1227577 date=1172259995]
[/quote]

1" or 25mm tweeters should fit nicely. I think you can get a 30mm tweeter to fit as well, but it may be tight. Note that stock tweeter mount in ~35mm in diameter. My 24mm tweeter had a housing diameter of ~31 mm so it was a little loose, but nothing a little hot glue could not handle.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I put my tweeters down where a kick panel would typically go, on that lower plastic panel. Sounds really good, and its angled directly towards me. Sounds amazing. Screw tweeters at ear level.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts