Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone seen the 2004 scion cars(website)? what do you think about the neon lights and stuff they have inside the car?where can you get the lights to do that for the mazda3 ?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
you can get those neon lights at walmart hahaha circuit city has them...haha...those are nice...only if your setup is nice tho ...if you just stick'em on....pretty tacky i say..

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Its just plain old neon tubes installed under the dash.

You can pick some up for like $15-30 a tube (depending on length).

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
vaBooM said:
Its just plain old neon tubes installed under the dash.

You can pick some up for like $15-30 a tube (depending on length).
yep like i said... walmart, circuit city...and then you just get one of those things you stick into your cig lighther hahaa my friend has a setup similar in his bug...synced with his sound system so it bumps when his sub bumps haa =D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
what i would want to do is change the dome and or map lights to white led's ...or red...notsure...im thinking about the neon lights BUTT...i want my interior to be clean...and having a huge setup in there kinda looks funky to me..

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Cold cathodes might work well for this application, they produce an incredible amount of light for very low wattage (4.5W i think).

Check it out: http://www.pcmods.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=249

I have a couple myself, but won't be using them for a car (might be a good idea when the hood is open). Don't know what it would take to actually get these in the car, I think they make some specifically for automobile applications tho.

·
Registered
398 Posts
IF you are going to be putting in neons never just stick it somewhere. ideally you will not want to see the tube at all, and if you mount it somehwere where the tube is visible black out one side w/ electrical tape. when you have the direct light like that it is very bright and doesn't look nearly as cool (imo) the best way is to have indirect light and to ahve it glow from an unknown source, lighting the entire floor with lights from under the seats and dash is always fun.
There are little LED clusters that you can conceal quite nicely too if you wish to highlight a certain area such as your instrument panel. As far as powering them the best thing to do would be to properly connect them, there is nothing worse then to see a big cigarette lighter block w/ a bunch of wires coming from it. If you have to i would even consider runing power from the battery itself much like you would for an amp and throw a switch on there to control all your lights (that is assuming you want to put in ALOT like those competition cars).....
you can pick these lights up pretty much anywhere, usually any car audio store or even a futureshop type place will carry a few, cold cathode (the neon tubes), EL wire --> wire that lights up neon.....and leds are all cool....liquid neons are kinda cool too but get old fast, i had one and paid alot for it but meh, its pretty weak, proably because i got some lame ass multicolored one instead of just blue lol, well im not sure n e of that actually tells you anything, but i want to see some pics once you have put it all in! ill put pics of mine up if and when i install them , i still have them all from my old car so we will see :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
can you use those cold cathodes ont he car too? or are there specific ones just for autos?

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
According to this website Cold cathodes can be installed into a car.

website said:
Your car provides 12VDC which is exactly what the inverter requires to power the lamp. The lamp is EXTREMELY fragile so it is up to you to mount them in such a way as to eliminate the likelihood of damage. These lamps were not specifically designed for automobile installation so they lack the parts you might need for installation in a car. There are car-ready neon lamps on the market but you'll pay a lot more for the convenience.
From my understanding, you'll need to deliver the car's power to an AC Adapter/Inverter that delivers the correct amount of power (Voltage) to the cathode. I was intending to use Cold Cathodes for a Reef tank I'm setting up and ordered from PCmod.com which had the necessary parts to convert normal 120ACV (house electricity, ACV = alternating current voltage) to 12DCV (Direct Current Voltage). I'm sure there's a wealth of equipment you can find to complete the project for your car.

Good luck!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks peeps, ill have to go see a scion in person and see how they got it set up. got plenty of time, still havent gotten my 3 yet.

·
Registered
398 Posts
...you shouldn't have any problems with powering a cold cathode. The ones i have seen include those for computer cases and those from my experience are both 12VDC.... i have taken a couple different cold cathodes meant for computer use and plugged them straight into the 12vdc of the car....any power source... any cold cathodes i have seen have a built in transformer on them so you shouldn't need any kind of converter or anything. There are many made to connect directly into your cars power source....or cigarette lighter.

Check out www.streetglow.com they have a whole bunch

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
zaimon said:
According to this website Cold cathodes can be installed into a car.

website said:
Your car provides 12VDC which is exactly what the inverter requires to power the lamp. The lamp is EXTREMELY fragile so it is up to you to mount them in such a way as to eliminate the likelihood of damage. These lamps were not specifically designed for automobile installation so they lack the parts you might need for installation in a car. There are car-ready neon lamps on the market but you'll pay a lot more for the convenience.
From my understanding, you'll need to deliver the car's power to an AC Adapter/Inverter that delivers the correct amount of power (Voltage) to the cathode. I was intending to use Cold Cathodes for a Reef tank I'm setting up and ordered from PCmod.com which had the necessary parts to convert normal 120ACV (house electricity, ACV = alternating current voltage) to 12DCV (Direct Current Voltage). I'm sure there's a wealth of equipment you can find to complete the project for your car.

Good luck!

thanks mon =)...and thanks fuel90!! i forgot about streetglow LOL..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts