Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Mazda3 and it's great..weehoo zoom zoom.

I dont know much about engines other then numbers, What exactly are the advantages of a inline 4cylinder on the mazda3's compared to a vanilla 4 cyl?

·
Registered
132 Posts
all 4 cyl engines are inlne 4 except for the flat 4 in the wrx and some Vw's

·
Registered
314 Posts
Some say that the Flat 4 engines like the ones in Subaru are better balanced... not sure if it is true or not. Does makes sense though, as the pistons move horizontally, so there's only side to side action as opposed to conventional engines that work in a V motion.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The only companies that produce 4 bangers that aren't in the inline are Subaru (all models) and Porche (boxter? now that I think about it , it might be a flat six). VW used an air cooled flat four in the old bug, and chevy used a flat 6 in the Corvair. But now I digress...

The line I get most frequently about the advantages of a flat set up are that since the pistons are horizontally opposed to each other (hence "boxer) and in line with the crank shaft, the center of gravity of the engine is lower, thus lowering the center of gravity of the car for better handling. Sounds resonable enough, but who knows?

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
From another site:

Inline Engine:
Uses vertically mounted pistons most of whose vibrations must be balanced out with the use of sizable crankshaft counterweights or a balancer shaft, adding to the weight of the engine and robbing it of horsepower. Vibrations that cannot be dampened produce unnecessary wear in engine components.
Inline systems tend to have shorter axle lengths since the transfer must be located offside of center. This results in greater amounts of disturbance reaching the vehicle frame, thereby affecting vehicle ride quality.

V Style Engine:
Allows the fit of a larger number of cylinders in a smaller space but they suffer from vibration as well. This also means the addition of a balancer shaft, adding to the weight of the engine and robbing it of horsepower. Like the inline, V style engines also have higher profile than that of the boxer resulting in a higher center of gravity. In addition, higher placement in the vehicle compartment can also cause the engine to pierce the cabin in the event of a front-end impact.

The design of both Inline and V style engines mean that the crankshaft is only supported by relatively small main bearing caps.

Boxer Engine: (Subaru WRX STi)
Provides better balance because the movement of each piston is countered by a corresponding piston in the other bank. This diametrically opposed action allows for a more efficient use of power without extensive loss to vibration, resulting in reduced engine wear and increased overall reliability.
This design inherently offers improved throttle and torque characteristics and superior vehicle handling due its lower center of mass and positioning as close to the front wheels as possible. Short stroke, large bore aluminum engine also offers lower weight and size to provide better fuel efficiency and overall performance at higner RPMs.
The transmission and transfer can be located along the centerline allowing maximum axle length. This means the suspension can more easily travel over dips and bumps with fewer disturbances reaching the occupants insuring a smoother more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sounds like that came right off a Subaru site. Those guys love their boxers! I've got an Impreza and I can't blame them, it's a great engine. Plus the boxer has a different exhaust note than you would here from an inline four. Pretty neat.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The Boxer engine looks like a good design, especially seeing how it doesn't have to fight gravity at all. But boy, does that site make me dizzy.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
FR3D said:
boy, the site makes me want to try the STi :p
Awesome car. The motor alone made me choose the STi over the Evo quick.

If you ever get a chance to drive one, you will be hooked. The power is soooo linear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nevermind Subaru's ad pitch.

They are great cars, but they're engines are noisy and make muted rattling noises reminescent of the old aircooled VW's.

Both the Mazda engines, and actually quite a few other inline 4's I have driven are much much smoother and quieter than Subaru's rattletraps.

Good engines, just not very silky smooth or refined. Not at all.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Alright, I'm kinda interested in the interior. If you look at the interior pics, the first one that comes up is a sideview of the front of the car. It looks like the interior of the MZ3. Mostly, the gauge section of the dash, the doors, the steering wheel, the side pilar coloring scheme, hell even the console looks similar. Just my opinion though.

Craig

·
Registered
36 Posts
EnFuego138 said:
The only companies that produce 4 bangers that aren't in the inline are Subaru (all models) and Porche (boxter? now that I think about it , it might be a flat six). VW used an air cooled flat four in the old bug, and chevy used a flat 6 in the Corvair. But now I digress...

Porsche used to make 4-cyl boxer engines, but the Boxster is in fact only available with 2.7 or 3.2 ltr flat-6's. (I believe the last F-4 they produced was in the 912 in the early '70's.

Subaru makes fine boxer engines, they started out by copying the basic design of the air cooled VW flat-4.

Even Ferrari has had their turn at horizontally-opposed engines in the 512-TR... Mmmmm, 12 horizontally-opposed cylinders...

·
Registered
302 Posts
The boxer engines that subaru uses are pretty amazgin btu asfar as the STi over an Evo, I would have to disagree. The 4g63 engine used in the Evolutions is probably the best built engine I have ever seen. Just some some fun ereference the engine was also used in the '90-'99 Eclispe , '91-'92 Galant VR-4, '90-'94 Laser, and the '90-'98 Talon, plus in this vehicle which is unfortunately not available in the US http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2452375555&category=18230

- Phil(4g63 nut) :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
subaru

that subaru is so god damn ugly I'd never be able to get close enough to check out the engine. I've heard over and over how great that car is, but my 93 protege was better looking than that thing. Those gold rims are vomit inducing, and so is that website :roll:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: subaru

MazdaExperienced said:
that subaru is so god damn ugly I'd never be able to get close enough to check out the engine. I've heard over and over how great that car is, but my 93 protege was better looking than that thing. Those gold rims are vomit inducing, and so is that website :roll:
The Subi is really unattractive... my best friend bought an STi in June to use as a daily commuter (instead of his 1995 Acura NSX). It was incredibly fast, and handled great... Too bad it was stolen and set on fire only 4 months later. Gotta love NJ!

I have to say that while the Subaru is Bulldog ugly, I prefer that over the Econo-car ugly of the Evo. I can't believe how cheesy the Lancers look. This is partly why I'll be replacing my Boxster with the more humble 3 instead of a WRX or Evo (both which I briefly considered).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts