Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i decided to wash and wax the car today and low and behold, the car I bought less than two months ago has a few chip spots and even a few rust spots on the paint. Is there anything in the warranty on this or am I just screwed? The rust spots are actually on the two drivers side doors so no bra would have protected this.

Thanks Mazda! :angrypoint:

·
Registered
466 Posts
[quote author=Midak link=topic=71700.msg1261457#msg1261457 date=1173644509]
So i decided to wash and wax the car today and low and behold, the car I bought less than two months ago has a few chip spots and even a few rust spots on the paint. Is there anything in the warranty on this or am I just screwed? The rust spots are actually on the two drivers side doors so no bra would have protected this.

Thanks Mazda! :angrypoint:
[/quote]

me too, less the rusting. i have around 600 miles on it and have 2 or 3 tiny chips on the hood already.

·
Registered
303 Posts
if you ever go on long distance trips and dont like having to put on a bra all the time no pun intended. blue painters tape is your friend.

·
Registered
143 Posts
if it's caused by a chip or break in the paint..it wont be covered. i do alot of highway driving and my route to work is alot of trucks. my car has 7k miles on it (no rust) yet....but my front end has alot of knicks/scratches already. it's just naturally gonna happen with a daily driven car.

but the rust warranty is rust through...meaning hole..not caused by a chip/crack/accident that broke the paint. best bet is touch up paint.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
finally had a nice day here . . . waxed my car for the first time . . . so what do i find 2 rock chips and 6 dings and lots of tiny nicks and scratches:rtfm:! i am so careful . . . i never park near anyone etc . . . but i do have to park outside and we had an ice storm a couple of weeks ago and my whole car was covered in about 3/4 inches of ice . . . so i account that as where all/most the damage came from . . . now i feel like my new car is flawed and not as nice as it used to be :(

the body paint/integrity on mazda's sux! i cleaned up my moms accord . . . exact same situation ice storm, parks outside etc. but her car is 1 year old and she doesn't have the same kind of damage like i do on my car . . . i am sooooo mad! i guess i'll have to live with the dings and use scratch-x on the rest of the damage . . . the rock chips are really small but they still bother me a lot so i'll try and touch them up . . . but i dont think this kind of stuff should be happneing to a 1 month old car!

·
Registered
143 Posts
mazda finishes are nice..build quality is above par...

the paint they use is very thin...not high quality at all...

·
Registered
397 Posts
I haven't had any of your problems so far. I have 1200 miles on the car and I did drive it through the snow and salt but I did wash the car at least once a week and did a little inspection today and didn't notice anything. The only scratch I have is on on the lower part of the glove box and I have no idea how that occured.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
No rust here and one tiny chip on the roof. Like someone mentioned, trucks on the highway throw debris up all the time so chips are pretty much unavoidable if you drive on the highway a lot.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I have at least 40 chips on my bumper and hood and a few on my fenders and door and it hall happened at the same time. A car in front of me kicked up gravel and destroyed my paint. Even my windshield is covered with pits and chips

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
thats horrible . . . i have 2 chips on my hood and 2 pits on my windshield . . . those all came at the same time, but 40 thats just awful. Really sorry to hear that. With me i was driving on the highway booting it trying to pass a truck that was up a head, and some asshat probably on their cell phone came off the onramp cut the truck off, the truck veered to avoid a colision and showered me with sand and peedles from between the lanes (they salt and sand like mad here). I thought it was going to be worse but i came out alright considering, i was still at least 4-5 car lengths back and saw the whole thing happening so I had time to slow down considerably and avoided most of the debris . . .

It pains me to hear something like that happen to a brand new MS3 :wtc:

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
I always follow close and i am usually in the fast lane riding the line (closest to slow lane)

I dont know if that is a safe spot but i have been lucky for the most part and we have lots of construction in our area (including a new bridge)

But if there is a semi.... or a truck for that matter i am passing them or hanging back, especially if i dont see mud flaps

·
Registered
408 Posts
the extended warranty I got at my dealership covers it. That is a one time deal though. The will repaint, fix holes and even replace upholstery if it is stained. Like I said it is only a one time deal, but for me, wait 4 years and 11 months and go in and have them fix it all and you got a brand new looking car!! :klavergreg:

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
all but one of my chips are small specs and only noticable from close up. I can't believe how shitty mazda paint is.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
It has always been that way on the mazda3's

Its been a thread on here since early 2004 about complaints on paint

Clear Bra- a Mazda Bra- Or lots of Waxxxx

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'd recommend the Pro Coat electronic rust "repellent". It's just extra peace of mind to me. I got a few rock chips on the hood early on, REALLY small ones. The one that pissed me off the most were the scratches on my roof. I put the pro coat on shortly after just to be safe.

Not too sure if it "REALLY" works or not, but I got hooked up with it so not too worried if it's a bunch of snake oil.

·
Registered
466 Posts
i had a pretty good sized pebble bounce off my windshield the other day cruising @70mph. it didnt do anything to the glass but if it hit paint i would imagine a quarter sized chip for sure.

·
Registered
185 Posts
[quote author=jm_fadd link=topic=71700.msg1261551#msg1261551 date=1173649263]
now i feel like my new car is flawed and not as nice as it used to be :(

the body paint/integrity on mazda's sux! i cleaned up my moms accord . . . exact same situation ice storm, parks outside etc. but her car is 1 year old and she doesn't have the same kind of damage like i do on my car .[/quote]

going out on a limb here, but lemme guess, first new car? Usually when you've purchased your first new car a person tends to go overboard on care and attention. I know I used to wash and wax my first new car every single week for the first 2yrs. I'm also betting you don't drive your ms3 like your mom drives her accord, hence not the exact same situation. Chips in the paint tend to happen from road debris, call it bad luck that you ended up following someone (or several someones) who just happened to toss stones/pebbles your way and poof there goes your paint finish. I know in Alberta we don't use naturally occuring gravel anymore, but instead they crush larger rocks to make the gravel they toss on the roads...so guess what, each piece now has a nice set of pointy ends to destroy the average cars finish.

As for it being a Mazda only issue, I find that hard to believe. I've owned 4 new cars to date, Nissan, Mazda and a Chevy, and all 3 have had about the same issue with road chips. The Nissan if any had the worse share, but then again, I drove that car extremely aggressively, and so it was expected.

Another thing to consider is the way your cars front end dips towards the road. Ever wonder why most trucks don't have nearly the amount of road chips as any given car? Take a look at the angle at which the hood faces the roadway. As someone already mentioned, a daily driven car, especially in winter, will get road chips, part of the cost of ownership ;(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts