Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and I just purchased the MZ3 Titanium Hatchback. The car is great and out performed my 1999 Honda Accord. I have a few questions to ask that perhaps you all can help me figure out. By the way, my Mazda3 was purchased here in the States.

1. In the "Information Center Display", off to the far right, what information is supposed to show up there? If I look closely it appears to be the climate settings and positions, however they do not ever light up. Is that not available on the US versions? Please refer to the attached image for clarification.

2. I'm looking to install the "Auto-Dimming, Outside Temperature & Direction, Homelink" rear-view mirror. However, my salesperson is not aware if it can be installed in as an accessory once the car has been made. He believes that it has to come out of the factory pre-installed. Is this true?

3. Have you all noticed that the Xenon lights aren't as "blue or purple" like other projector beam HIDs? I read in the manual that you cannot switch or replace the lights yourself...it can ONLY be done by an authorized dealer.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Spencer

·
Registered
882 Posts
1. Should be for auto climate stuff that from what I understand is Europe only.

2. Should be able to install it after the fact. Talk to the guys in parts, I know my auto dimming mirror in my previous Protege5 was a dealer installed part.

3. I haven't noticed cause we don't have the Xenon's in Canada.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cowtown said:
1. Should be for auto climate stuff that from what I understand is Europe only.

2. Should be able to install it after the fact. Talk to the guys in parts, I know my auto dimming mirror in my previous Protege5 was a dealer installed part.

3. I haven't noticed cause we don't have the Xenon's in Canada.
Thanks cowtown!

Seems like dead space to me :(

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
So wait... if that area of the LCD is unused, it means it's obviously reserved, which means, perhaps, Auto Climate Control could be modular, and an easy upgrade, perhaps?

·
Registered
272 Posts
1. The right side of the center display is reserved for automatic climate control display and ambient temperature. This is not available in the US.

2. ALL accessories can be installed by the dealer (that's why they are called "accessories" as oppose to factory option pkg). Talk to the shop, and not your sales(wo)man.

3. The factory HID is pure white (D2S plain bulb).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bluong1 said:
1. The right side of the center display is reserved for automatic climate control display and ambient temperature. This is not available in the US.

2. ALL accessories can be installed by the dealer (that's why they are called "accessories" as oppose to factory option pkg). Talk to the shop, and not your sales(wo)man.

3. The factory HID is pure white.
Thanks for the info Bluong1.

My only debate with #3 is that when I'm driving next to other vehicles with HIDs...like audi, lexus, acura, bmw...etc., if I look at the color that is cast on the road, the other vehicles seem more "purplish or blue" and BRIGHTER? Another observation is that the lights seem to aim lower than the other vehicles mentioned as well, regardless if I adjust the height button. The button is currently aimed at the highest setting, but it still doesn't seem to have the range like others. Any suggestions? By the way, I'm definitely going for that rear-view mirror option.

Spencer

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
overkast, so do you think the xenons are still worth it? does it still look cool when you see it from the outside?

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
The mirror CAN'T be gotten from the factory (As far as I know), that's PURELY dealer.

Those other HID's may SEEM brighter, but hte more "tint" (actually just higher color temp) they have to them, the less light they theoretically output, although it does often SEEM like more.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
funkyfreshmonke said:
overkast, so do you think the xenons are still worth it? does it still look cool when you see it from the outside?
Hey funkyfreshmonke & MZ6ZoomZoom,

The Xenon upgrade was definitely a must have. I've never had HIDs before and from my driving experiences so far, those lights are damn awesome. They are definitely brighter than my previous 99' Accord and I had PIAA Super Bright White bulbs in those, but it still didn't compare. Like MZ6ZoomZoom said, it's very subjective as to which ones are brighter compared to other vehicles, but I'll never know unless I'm behind the wheels of them. I'm extremely happy with my lights, and it's not like I want to blind oncoming traffic, but it would be nice if the lights were aimed a slight bit higher for better visible range.

From the outside, the lights appear to be "pure white" with a slight tint of faint yellow. But if you kneel down...watch out...those lights are blinding!

Spencer

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
No, it is not subjective. What you PERCEIVE is subjective, but what actually is lit is very much scientific.

Overkast, please trim your signature down to 5 lines.

·
Registered
272 Posts
To be exact, the spec of the DS2 bulb (Mazda3 HID) are
- 35W
- 3200 lumen (luminous flux intensity)
- 4100-4200 K in color temp.

The lowbeam is not supposed glare other drivers, so I'm sure the height/intensity of your HID beam is OK (that's why I think putting an HID for low beam is a silly idea, but this is for another debate).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Overkast...

Your question is certainly valid concerning the center display area.

Please keep us informed on what you find out. If there is an accessory that all of us can install, then I would like to know about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK...

I went here

http://www.mazda3.co.uk/Mazda3_PSL_aw_18822_UK.pdf

and downloaded the UK brochure. Over there, that area is definitely for climate control settings. If something else can go there like outside temperature, then I would be interested in this too.

Also, notice in the pictures that the turn knobs below say Auto on them so the knobs are different to work with the climate control.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm sure the European ventilaton controls will be standard in future production years..ditto for the xenon lamps. Mazda just didn't want to pull all the goodies out of the hat at once. Sucks for us N/A's. I also noticed some empty switch pods to the left of the steering..3 in all, one is already taken by the dash light dimming contol. My question is what else can they possibly put there?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: OK...

martialcomp said:
I went here

http://www.mazda3.co.uk/Mazda3_PSL_aw_18822_UK.pdf

and downloaded the UK brochure. Over there, that area is definitely for climate control settings. If something else can go there like outside temperature, then I would be interested in this too.

Also, notice in the pictures that the turn knobs below say Auto on them so the knobs are different to work with the climate control.
Good find martialcomp!!

Thanks,
Spencer

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Mazdafan said:
I'm sure the European ventilaton controls will be standard in future production years..ditto for the xenon lamps. Mazda just didn't want to pull all the goodies out of the hat at once. Sucks for us N/A's. I also noticed some empty switch pods to the left of the steering..3 in all, one is already taken by the dash light dimming contol. My question is what else can they possibly put there?
The Xenon leveling is there too. But that leaves one more spot..... NITROUS!

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
vaBooM said:
Mazdafan said:
The Xenon leveling is there too. But that leaves one more spot..... NITROUS!
TCS is there in hte 6, I'd assume it could be in the 3

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've sent e-mails to Mazda dealers in UK inquiring about avilability of automatic climat control unit. I believe the unit is modular and can be fairly easily replaced with automatic unit. I saw a 6 or 7 pin connector on the bottom of the factory head unit and I'm wondering if that is the pass-through port for climat information to be diaplayed on the information panel attached to the factory head unit. I'll keep you guys updated on UK dealers' response.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts