Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who do infinite baffle setups sound? i was thinking of removing my front false floor and cargo tray and flipping the spare tire over to make more mounting depth for the subwoofer. then making a new floor out of MDF and mounting the sub to that infinite baffle style. will this sound like pure garbage? or do infinite baffle setups sound ok? i am by no meens looking for mind numbing bass. i have a sealed 1cf box with a 12in in the car now and i dont even use 1/3 the power of that. so i feel a 10inch infinite baffle setup may be a good setup for me.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
For subs, you would need a baffle length of at least a couple times longer than of the lowest note frequency you expect to get from your driver, which at 20 hz is something like 30 feet if I remember correctly, so you would need a 60-foot baffle.

Try getting that into your trunk! Perhaps you should consult Dr. Who on Tardis technology if you want to try anyway.

Anything less than that and you start getting cancellations from the back radiation of the woofer.

You could make a true infinite baffle by simply venting the sub completely outside of the car. However, that would let all sorts of crap and rodents and moisture get in behind the sub, and I would think the police might have a problem with it too, as it would be very loud outside of the car.

This is what happens pretty much with the door speakers, but the infinite baffle vents into the air-leaky compartment behind the panels.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
An IB would require you to COMPLETELY seal the trunk of the sedan from the cabin of the vehicle and have the sub mounted so that it fires into the cabin. If it is not completely sealed and has any leaks it will sound like ass. You also need to remember in a IB the power handling of the Sub is lowered. A lot of the SQ guys like IB set ups.

·
Registered
710 Posts
ok guys here is a solution for IFB speakers.......

http://www.ficaraudio.com/shopdata/0050_Speakers/product_overview.shopscript

Scroll down to the bottom...they make some amazing IFB speakers.... the designer/owner use to own Resonant Engineering and any real audiophile would know exactly who I am talking about. Email the company if you have any questions or check out http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/ they have a forum if you want to check it out with a lot of helpful people including the owner that frequent the forums. Also you can email them on their site too...they are pretty good with answering questions. Good luck with getting the system setup... i am designing mine...to take up the spare space... (Thats what AAA platinum is for lol)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts