Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I’m brand new to the forum. I have an ‘04 Mazda3 Manual Hatch 2.3 and I’ve noticed that before my engine has fully reached operating temp, it has quite the power spike at about 3200 RPM and is much faster at accelerating than normal. I’m not thrashing on it by any means but occasionally I’ll hit that mark on my drive to work and be pleasantly surprised. Only thing is, once the car is fully warmed up, I no longer get that power spike and I’d kinda like to if I’m honest. Is something broken that’s not allowing the variable valve timing feature to activate in normal operating temps? Please help! Thanks!

· Registered
284 Posts
If you live in the USA , its the regulation standards for emission so your ECU will run a slightly richer mixture until the the engine is warmed up which is about when the water temperature is 185-190F. At that point your are back to lowering the emission out the tail pipe and a little less crisp throttle response.

· Registered
284 Posts
Yes!
You can get a ECU/EFI Performance calibration that would turn off the radiator fans and go to a aftermarket manual/auto fan control, or readjust there timing sequence, turn off the reporting of the post H02, readjust the fueling timing, knock sensor reporting, delete the mid muffler/resonator, use only 91/95+ octane fuel, readjust the drive-by throttle control, and that just off the top of my mind. hehehehe!

But basically, not really. You couple use the highest octane available (95 preferred) in your area and add a "real" octane booster to increase the octane by a few points? Changing spark plugs can make a notable difference in all aspects of the engine's performance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts