Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Yakima rack system on my 2013 "3" hatchback, using the fixed mounting points on the roof. The rear bar is above the middle of the back window, probably the same place it would be on the sedan. I would like to have the front and rear bars farther apart - there's a lot of room farther back on the roof of the 5-door. Moving the bar back would create a more stable setup for attaching kayaks, and would enable them to be transported upside down.

Does anyone have experience with attaching the rear bar farther back? I haven't been able to find anything relevant in the forums or in an internet search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can do it... possibly. My thoughts are that, you would need to buy a different set of mounting points, either the Q towers or Baseline towers or something else, and the specific clips (Q clips for Q tower for example) that work for your car, the rear only. The only issue here is that where the Q towers or Baseline towers may sit in the rear, may be no different than fixed mounting point that are already on the roof. The easiest way to check this would be to determine the mounting locations of each different type of mounting system, determine the distance between the two bars when using these type of mounts, and compare the fixed mounting point to these. All this information comes from the Yakima fit guide book when you purchase clips, but you may be able to contact Yakima and ask them to provide the mounting distances between each and do the math without having the book. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, traugustyn. I have used Q towers on a different car, and unless I'm missing something, I don't think there would be any advantage. The Q towers and clips grab onto the car above the door. You might possibly be able to gain a little bit compared to the built-in mount points, but I'd be very surprised if it would be more than 2 or 3 inches. I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts