Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

We would like to begin the first stages of R&D on our performance upgrades for both the Mazda3i and 3s models, but first we will need an owner to stop by our prototype facility.

We are located in Glendale, CA and we would need you to stop by an an agreed upon Saturday, either towards the end of January or in early February. We are currently wrapping up our Mazda6 bolt on engine modifications and we will need to move on to the Mazda3 ASAP.

If you live within driving distance of Glendale, CA (Los Angeles) and you are interested in receiving free parts for helping us, please contact me at:

[email protected]

We will eventually have the following parts made for both models of the Mazda3:

Cold Air Intake
Header
Exhaust

More parts than that will of course be made/offered by us, but those are the first three we will work on. Depending on how long you can leave your car with us or how often you can leave your car with us, will determine how quickly these parts are made and offered to the public. If you have any questions, email me at the above address or PM me here.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I can be a tester... but in Colorado.

Could send you results every so often.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we will probably need different testers of the parts.. but we need to get a vehicle into our shop in SoCal so we can actually design and build the parts on the car, to ensure everything works/fits the way they are supposed to.

Nikolas

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mazda 3 Hatch in Manassas, VA

I have a Sunlight Metallic Silver hatchback in Manassas, VA which is about 15 mins from Fairfax, VA. Why do all the sponsors have to be in Cali! Anyways, anyone looking for a donor car, I'd be willing to give you mine to put mods on. To get in contact with me, IM me at: PennStateSkiTeam on AOL or YAHOO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey Nikolas,

what kind of time frame are you looking to keep the car for? Are you providing any rental car in return?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NGN,

We may not even need to keep a car at our facility. The Mazda6i has the 2.3L engine as well. Being that we already have an intake designed for that car, we first need to see if our 6i intake will fit on the 3s. If it fits with no modification then we can rock and roll. If it requires mods, then we will take note of it and change our design for the 3s.

Whoever does decide to help us out, will just need to meet us at our Glendale, CA fabrication facility.

We are still working on some other projects now. I dont expect to be able to fit the Mazda3 into the shop until early March at the rate we are going now.

Nikolas

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have received several emails from different people interested in helping us develope performnce parts for the Mazda3. We will send out emails to these people once we know the dates we need a donor car to stop by the facility.

Nikolas

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The person that contacted us who owned a Mazda3i 2.0L has backed out.

We need someone else in SoCal to stop by our shop on the 21st of this month with a Mazda3i 2.0L. We already have a Maza3s 2.3L owner confirmed for that Saturday.

If you own a Mazda3i and are interested in receiving a free intake for helping us out, please email me at:

[email protected]

Thanks,

Nikolas

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey I was just lookin at the 3S and the layout in the engine bay looks like quie a different layout than how they have it sittin in the 6i. Do you still think the 6i and 3s parts will still be the same?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Timba,

I have no idea at this point...... This is why we are having the Mazda3 owners stop by the shop on the 21st. We will have our 6i there that day as well for a good comparison. We will know soon enough.

Nikolas

·
Registered
192 Posts
2 days and counting.......How long of a development and testing period do you plan on after looking at these cars on Saturday?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We had Rob stop by the shop today for me to take some pics and look around. I was able to completely take his stock intake system off the car and get a good view of what we will do for an intake system on the car.

We also took a look at the stock exhaust manifold design (it is slightly different than the 6i 2.3L manifold) and will fab up a fitting prototype header the next time he comes to the shop.

The first part we test and release for the 3s will be the CAI. Following that will more than likely be the header, as we only need to adapt our Focus 4-1 header to make it work. We will also design a cat back exhaust kit for the car at some point in time.

Our weekends (normally used for prototyping) are going to be booked for at least the next 4 weeks. Hopefully we can get Rob into the shop shortly thereafter so we can fabricate a CAI on his car.

Ideally, we will have a 3i owner stop by the shop the next time Rob comes by. We need to compare the engine bay and intake layouts between the 2.3 and 2.0 engines in the Mazda3.

So, things look good for performance upgrades on the Mazda3. Now it is just a matter of conducting our prototyping and testing. We wont sell the part until we know it works well and how much power it makes.

Nikolas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts