Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. We had an extreme cold snap last week and my car would not accept my key. The engine immobilizer system would not let my car start. I managed to get my spare key and the car started right up. So I figured something happened to my key. When I finally got my car home, I tried the key that was not working. It now works fine. My immobilizer light is also blinking now when the car if off and the keys are out of the ignition. I don't think it did this prior to the issue (but it may have and i just never paid attention to it). Is it normal for this light to blink?

The light I am referring to is a little car with a a key in the middle.

Thanks!

· Registered
7 Posts
I had some similar issues right before Christmas. There were two things that caused this. One: when Best Buy installed the remote starter last year they crack an internal antenna in the immobilizer module. And two: one of the wires leading to the starter was corroded and allowed current to flow sporadicly. The red key light always is supposed to flash when the car is off and the key is removed. The work was all covered by warranty thank God, as Steele Mazda didn't even have to touch anything since the immobilizer was broken by a third party. The bad cable is a know issue as it was the first thing to tow truck driver checked when he showed up. So if it happens again I would take it to the dealer and have them look at that starter cable.

Wes

· Registered
514 Posts
[quote author=ronboman link=topic=133642.msg2872432#msg2872432 date=1232275196]
Hi all. We had an extreme cold snap last week and my car would not accept my key. The engine immobilizer system would not let my car start. I managed to get my spare key and the car started right up. So I figured something happened to my key. When I finally got my car home, I tried the key that was not working. It now works fine. My immobilizer light is also blinking now when the car if off and the keys are out of the ignition. I don't think it did this prior to the issue (but it may have and i just never paid attention to it). Is it normal for this light to blink?

The light I am referring to is a little car with a a key in the middle.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Your car seems to be doing its job and is fine. Your key is the problem. Why would one key work and the other not?
Your primary key is bad. The light blinking is normal, the light means that your immobilizer is working.

Get a new key. If you only have one working key, you will be paying about $150 for a new key.

edit: ops! i thought the key stopped working altogether.

· Registered
1,511 Posts
I may be able to shed some light in this. I had a similar issue last week. If it won't recognize the key when it gets extremely cold outside there's two possibilities, the computer has lost the programming for the key (which it seems like yours did), or the relay for the starter froze. This is what the dealership in Saskatoon told me (they actually know their stuff). I took my car in last week and had the relay replaced. Been working fine ever since, if you need to know which relay it is let me know.

Also, the dealership has told me there is a firmware upgrade for the computer to resolve an issue with starting when it gets cold outside. I asked them what it fixed and they said they didn't know how it was fixed, but just that the fix existed. I would suggest talking to a more competent dealership than I did (Regina Mazda, only dealership to be found within 300kms of where I live, and not very competent).

· Registered
1,511 Posts
Long story short it's a crappy relay and possibly a firmware upgrade.

I've been told the firmware upgrade affected 04-06 and early 07's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.