Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard a loud BANG coming from the front suspension of their SP23, when going over small potholes and the likes? I'm talking sealed roads with those slightly sunken metal plugs, and once or twice the gap in the gutter between the road and the lip of a driveway. Nothing high speed or sideways, just regular driving. I'm having to scan the road wherever I go now.

Could this just be a result of the suspension tuning on the SP23, the 17s and low profile rubber or possibly break-in issue? A firm ride is one thing but loud noises are a sign that something's copping a punding.

My last car had similarly hard suspension and tyres, so it's not like I got out of a slush bucket. If this continues its going back to the dealership with 400kms on the clock!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my Maxx Sport the first few days. It hasn't been happening so much in the past 2 weeks but it may be the suspension components wearing in or something.
It doesn't seem to affect the steering at the time but it is a bit disconcerting when it sounds like the wheel is falling off.

I've got a notepad in the glovebox where I have written all my complaints so I can have the dealer check them at the 1000km service.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Me too, driving the Maxx Sport over speed humps and spoon drains. I thought it might be something scuffing on the road, but I'm not so sure...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Steve-o. Any serious complaints other than suspension?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've also noticed a slight vibration from (I think) the driver's side visor. One of the rear door arm rests wasn't completely clicked into place (easy job to push it into place myself). There's also a fair bit of vibration from the el-cheapo speakers when turned up beyond 10 (what does it go up to anyway? - we got to at least 30).

Nearly belted the hatch door on the garage entrance the first time I opened it! Opens much higher than I'd anticipated.

Oh, and the black interior is nice, until it gets covered in dust and fingerprints and footprints!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
ZOOMER said:
Steve-o. Any serious complaints other than suspension?
Nothing too major but there is no sound proofing under the bonnet despite the fact that you can see the holes it would clip into. As with Sonic the speakers make the doors trim vibrate. The water jets for the rear window just trickle out instead of spraying the window.

That is about it...and I hope there is nothing more!

·
Registered
519 Posts
can't say that i've noticed the loud "bang" over the potholes... but i have been noticing the abs/ebs kicking in occasionally and making the car feel as if its sliding (no real problems though). this occurs when driving through normal traffic and one or the other wheels will either hit a metal cover, or a whilst changing lanes i hit a wet patch of slickened white stripe... the abs kicks in and i lose total steering control and some power - quite annoying as i can't turn it off for such nonsensical stuff like that.

and what gives with the very easy way the black interiors on the doors get smudged with that white stuff?? looks like some sort of powder, and difficult to get rid of. :?

steve-o - where is this soundproofing? i have some sort of, what i assumed was, fire-retardent stuff under my bonnet. is this the soundproofing material also?

·
Registered
308 Posts
ABS is often like that, sometimes I go quickly into a corner in the SP20 and brake late as I'm turning, and the car starts to do the ABS thing when I'd prefer it not to. ITs a bit of a party pooper at times like those, however I understand its common across all cars with abs when pushed hard into a corner the car will think the drivers lost control and apply it.

The good news is that its easily fixed by accelerating :wink:

·
Registered
650 Posts
olorin said:
steve-o - where is this soundproofing? i have some sort of, what i assumed was, fire-retardent stuff under my bonnet. is this the soundproofing material also?
I think it does both functions of fire retardent and sound proofing. Regardless, it isn't there on my car and I think it should be there as a standard part of the car...honestly it's about $5-$10 worth of material. :evil:

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
If you guiys want more responses I suggest posting problems, etc in the appropriate sections.

VERY few people read the Australia section :)

Let me know if you want me to move it to Suspension / Brakes

·
Registered
252 Posts
It might help, but we need to keep in mind that the suspension is setup differently on Oz spec models. Oz spec has modified springs and shocks, so those in the US may not be seeing the same problems.

G

·
I'm thinking this is the spring setting in, normally, when cars are hoisted up, the springs come out of their brackets, and when it is lowered back down, you hear a bang for the spring settling back into its bracket.

This could be the reason, it also could not be.

This load bump also happened to me, only once though. So if it were to happen again on the same wheel, then you can safely conclude that something is not normal, and get it checked out on your first service.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Steve-o said:
I think it does both functions of fire retardent and sound proofing. Regardless, it isn't there on my car and I think it should be there as a standard part of the car...honestly it's about $5-$10 worth of material. :evil:
in deference to our fearless mod dinu, i did a scan of some of the NA probs... it seems that the sp23 is the only one which gets this sound proofing as standard (although it didn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the brochure), and that one "lucky" person over there got one on his/her maxx because of a stoof up on the part of the dealer and the need for reparations.

hows a show of hands here in aus regarding if we got it or not? i have the sp23 and have noted it. steve-o has the maxx and has not... others? :?:

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I'll keep an eye on it. Needless to say, any of you are welcome to PM me if you ever have any questions/comments/etc...

A little off-topic. Anyone going to the F1 race?

·
Registered
650 Posts
malebastard said:
I'll have to check it out...
Exactly where is this sound deadening located???
Stuck / clipped to the underside of the bonnet. Should be a black or silver sheet of insulation.

G

·
Can't say i noticed it while i was removing my bulbs on the weekend...

I was also trying to look for the piping for the air intake, and i think its located on the bottom right. at first i thought the black plastic piping that resembles most intakes on other vehicles was the actual intake, but it is actually to keep the battery cool... How bizarre is this??

·
Registered
650 Posts
Removing bulbs? What bulbs?

G

·
The low beam bulbs...

Wanted to see what they looked like and how easy it is to replace...

My next mission is the fog light bulbs. :D :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good luck with your fog light bulbs,malebastard.I am not sure if the SP23 will be like the 6's lower foglights assembly where the bulb is to be replaced from behind the bumper bar.So in order to get to the light bulbs,one has to atleast get your hands behind the wheel well and hope you can reach it from there.But most likely you have to remove the wheel altogether and the underguard cover, then you can get easier access to that hidden lightbulb right behind it.Hope yours is much easeir than my 6 though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts