Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife the lawyer, said that id we can get 5-8 people in to do a class action suit, her firm (they went after the tobacco companies and won), will be happy to represent us. All cx7 ms6 and ms3 owners with turbo issues are welcome to participate.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Do you have a case if you are under warranty and it smokes? I mean thats kind of rediculous as every car can have issues and if its under the warranty its going to get fixed, the turbo should be covered under the drive train for idk 75k or whatever. this sorta seams like a waste...

·
Registered
81 Posts
So what are you suing them for? Like cosmic said, if the turbo is bad, and the car is under warranty, then they fix it. If youre out of warranty, then you have to suck it up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
In my opinion, you can build a better case, about the faulty design of the Engine Mounts allowing the Engine to fall and leaving you stranded....Yes if this were to happen and has happen to many. If under warranty they'll fix it. However, this issue with the Engine Mounts has a great potential of not only greatly inconviniencing the car owner buy if a failure were to occur, let's say in the high way, it's possible someone's life can be endangered. Pass this point to your wife and maybe both the Turbo and Engine Mount issue can be combined for a Class Action Lawsuit, there by giving the Law Firm more ammunition to take to the Courts, about Faulty Components wich have the potential to endanger life.....Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There's a clause in the contract you signed when buying the car that states that you and the dealer can't go to court to sue and that it has to be settled by arbitration. Now, I am not sure if this contract is between the dealer and buyer only or if it is between the Mazda and the buyer or maybe its all three. Either way, you may want to check out all the paper work you have when you bought the car before proceeding.

Just have your wife look at it if she's a lawyer. She should know all about the arbitration process and etc.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
There is no law suit to be had. Mazda replaces smoking turbos under warranty with a newly designed one that doesn't smoke. A smoking turbo isn't considered something that is worthy of a safety recall either so i doubt that would ever happen.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
[quote author=smakdown61 link=topic=140055.msg3024048#msg3024048 date=1238297835]
There is no law suit to be had. Mazda replaces smoking turbos under warranty with a newly designed one that doesn't smoke. A smoking turbo isn't considered something that is worthy of a safety recall either so i doubt that would ever happen.
[/quote]

Do we have part #'s? And the turbo would fall under the 60,000 mi. powertrain warranty, correct?

·
Registered
518 Posts
legally, they already did a recall on the engine mount bolt so technically they should have their asses covered there too... this is seriously a waste of time and proves that americans are stupid and greedy and sue over the dumbest crap.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
[quote author=cosmicsp33d3 link=topic=140055.msg3025392#msg3025392 date=1238371997]
legally, they already did a recall on the engine mount bolt so technically they should have their asses covered there too... this is seriously a waste of time and proves that americans are stupid and greedy and sue over the dumbest crap.
[/quote]

+1.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
[quote author=Mizzle link=topic=140055.msg3025395#msg3025395 date=1238372026]
[quote author=cosmicsp33d3 link=topic=140055.msg3025392#msg3025392 date=1238371997]
[/quote]

+1.
[/quote]

although i generally agree, ive personally seen speed guys with under 8k miles smoking. to me thats unacceptable for a car that comes turbo'd from the factory.

i hate people suing everyone to get money for stupid crap, but this should be brought to the attention of mazda.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
[quote author=*txmica3* link=topic=140055.msg3025405#msg3025405 date=1238372212]
[quote author=Mizzle link=topic=140055.msg3025395#msg3025395 date=1238372026]
[/quote]

+1.
[/quote]

although i generally agree, ive personally seen speed guys with under 8k miles smoking. to me thats unacceptable for a car that comes turbo'd from the factory.

i hate people suing everyone to get money for stupid crap, but this should be brought to the attention of mazda.
[/quote]

They already know about it. That's why there's a revised turbocharger available for use when the defective one is swapped out.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
if thats the case then i agree with the guy above me before.. the only reason to do this is for greedy people to make money. this is why society is the way it is.. people always looking to make a quick buck via any means possible. prime example is the idiot who spilled coffee on herself and sued mcdonalds.

if mazda knows about it and will fix the problem, suing them isnt necessary. just go get your replacement under warranty.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
So I was reading some of your previous posts... you admitted to having smoking issues occur after the installation of the TurboXS Downpipe and Race Pipe.

When you brought the car in, Mazda techs saw the modifications and voided the warranty.... and you're blaming Mazda for this and want to sue them?

WOW.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
[quote author=LaraW link=topic=140055.msg3025586#msg3025586 date=1238376664]
So I was reading some of your previous posts... you admitted to having smoking issues occur after the installation of the TurboXS Downpipe and Race Pipe.

When you brought the car in, Mazda techs saw the modifications and voided the warranty.... and you're blaming Mazda for this and want to sue them?

WOW.
[/quote]

Whats your point? I did the same thing and won. A shitty turbo is a shitty turbo no matter what way you look at it.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
Yes, but if you are going to be modifying a turbo-charged (or really any kind) car you need to realize that things MAY go wrong.

It isn't something to SUE over... just another case of greed.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Sure it is, minor bolt ons such as a racepipe or exhaust should not blow a turbo period. Its mazdas negligence for taking a short cut and putting in a shitty turbo and they need to face up for it. Voiding peoples warrantys and not covering a defective turbo is within their control and should be done so. They tried to blacklist me and i took them out back and beat them with a hose. Unacceptable. Many other turbo charged cars have free flowing exhausts from the factory and have no issues.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
[quote author=LaraW link=topic=140055.msg3025597#msg3025597 date=1238377051]
Yes, but if you are going to be modifying a turbo-charged (or really any kind) car you need to realize that things MAY go wrong.

It isn't something to SUE over... just another case of greed.
[/quote]

Those modifications have nothing to do with a faulty turbo.
A lack of backpressure doesn't make a turbo burn/leak oil. Faulty seals do.
I've yet to see any evidence provided anywhere that conclusively proves that backpressure is required for a turbo to function properly, especially since backpressure is a turbo's enemy.

Furthermore, if they did attempt to void his warranty, they'd have to prove that the modifications caused the seals to leak. Exhaust work has nothing to do with it. The only thing those parts do is allow you to see the smoke that was there all along.

[quote author=CraZyItalian041 link=topic=140055.msg3025602#msg3025602 date=1238377187]
Sure it is, minor bolt ons such as a racepipe or exhaust should not blow a turbo period.
[/quote]

It's still not a reason to sue. You ask for a remedy. They provide it free of charge.

The only thing you could legally go for is pain & suffering from having to sit there while your car gets worked on.

p.s.
Want to piss them off even more? Tell them you want your defective turbo when they're done replacing it. They can't tell you no - you bought it.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
^^ good post.

Random off topic comment. We got a notice for a class action lawsuit in relation to our '02 Hyundai Elantra. The suit was because Hyundai "misled" buyers by advertising 140 something HP and the car had 132 when later tested. Now that's a blatant "give me some money for nothing" lawsuit.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Yeah, i picked up my old turbo from them. They dont remedy is "free of charge" they make you wait for weeks while they have some jackass rep come out and inspect the car in which case he most of the time says no because the cats in the stock exhaust cover up most of the smoke. Go in there with mods and they say no anyway. I handled them once, i can do it again if i ever need to.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
I do agree that those mods don't cause a faulty turbo. However, dealerships are always out to get you (at least the ones in my area are)... if you go in there with mods like that they will automatically assume you did something to cause the claim and poof... there goes your warranty. It is then up to YOU to prove that your mods did not cause it... while it is not fair, they won't take the extra steps to prove their case. MOST dealers laugh in your face if you tell them to prove that your mods caused it. It is because of this that most people don't even bother to prove their side of the story.

You might get lucky if you threaten a lawyer... but most of the time they'll just shrug you off.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts