Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an email from my bank of "Irregular Check Card Activity". Looks like someone from London bought $500 worth of electronic stuff using my check card. And just before that, they tried buying something from Yahoo for $1 and it declined cause they didn't know that special # from the back of the card.

I don't know anyone from London, but it's scary that people can get ahold of your CC #s even when you've never lost your wallet. Not sure how. Could one of the online stores I previously went to got hacked and it was stolen from there? Not good at all.

I'll be getting a new check card in 5 days, and they said once I file that london purchase as a fraudulent transaction once it posts in my account (it's currently pending), they're going to put back the money in my account.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That sucks. That's why if I get stuff online... I always try to go through paypal...

Also I try to use cash in places I feel uncomfortable using debit/credit card...

Glad you are getting the money back though.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Last year I received a call from my CC company that was questioning if I had really moved across the country. Apparently someone got my online access and changed the address to CA, and requested a new card. I am just glad that they flagged my card as soon as this happened.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cannot even trust paypal. A friend of mine got 2000 dollars stolen from his paypal/checking account since his account was verified. Paypal would not cover all the expenses that were stolen. He got 1600 back instead of the full amount that was stolen. This was about a year ago and he is still dealing with pay pal.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
That's scary.. I had someone try to open a Verizon cellphone account in my name once (we don't even have Verizon wireless around here).

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Yeah, paypal can be hacked just like the rest. Don't link it to your main bank account if you have one with direct banking.

They can get your unshredded mail out of the trash.
They can hack unprotected web commerce sites.
They can infect your home system with a virus and pull off files that way.

Don't keep CC info in Excel spread sheets. Don't just throw away CC statements or those cash transfer checks. Make sure your AntiVirus is up to date and don't open .EXEs you don't know.

Best one is when they call up, already knowing all your info and claim to be the fraud department and ask you for "for security reasons please verify the three digit number on the back of the card." PWND. You give them that and they're buying crap all over the place.

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
I had my eBay account hacked yesterday. The person put 65 knock-off Chanel purses up for sale. Luckily eBay caught on and got rid of the auctions. But boy was I pissed yesterday.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yeah, my Visa was compromised a couple of months ago. I received a call from my bank asking if I authorized a charge off some odd ball website, can't remember the name now. What a pain it was, because I had the majority of my bills auto payed from that CC. I had to temporarily change them all to my DC and then change them again to my new CC. All that grief because some wacko tried to charge $10 and some change on my CC. :x

·
Registered
31,080 Posts
Sucks....that's why I use a normal credit card for all online purchases...I can deal with the debt while I fix things but if somebody emptied my checking account, that would be bad....

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
i use direct banking via paypal but the account i use only ever has as much as i need to buy the item i'm going to buy.

i'm always wary of companies that don't ask for a cvv / avs number.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=72652.msg1284868#msg1284868 date=1174598985]
i use direct banking via paypal but the account i use only ever has as much as i need to buy the item i'm going to buy.

i'm always wary of companies that don't ask for a cvv / avs number.
[/quote]....biped..what part of canada are u in ????

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Yeah, someone managed to get my debit card and PIN about a year ago. $1600 gone in 3 days. And then, two weeks later, I'm at a restaurant, and I try to pay with debit, its declined. Call my bank, looks like someone did it AGAIN on the new card with the new PIN. Lost $1000 that time. Thankfully, my bank paid it all back.

·
Registered
382 Posts
my parents cc number was stolen at walmart because the store reciepts have the full number on the receipt, not just the 4 last digits.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
one time my dad helped me with my gym membership and the CC called him because they thought someone had stolen his card, lol.

Anyway I buy crap online and its always something to worry about. I try and only buy from trusted sites, but stuff can always happen. At least the visa check card has my back!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Funny, I just got done finishing switching all my stuff around. I got a call at work today asking if I authorized a $4300 purchase on my Visa. Um, that would be a "no," they said it originated overseas, somewhere in Europe.

New card in 5-7 days, I'm glad the bank caught it immediately.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
[quote author=vielm link=topic=72652.msg1285480#msg1285480 date=1174617690]
my parents cc number was stolen at walmart because the store reciepts have the full number on the receipt, not just the 4 last digits.
[/quote]

That is against the law.

I know my local one doesn't have the full # on it.

If theirs does, they need to update their credit processing software. All the current versions omit the full number. My company has to deal with this stuff on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
never happened w/ my credit card but it did w/ my debit . . . twice someone has cloned my debit card, the first time they didn't get anything, they just pretended to deposit $1000 but never took it out. the 2nd time they pulled out $1200. since then i am much more carful where i use my debit card and block anyone from seeing my pin.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts