Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i think with the cold weather im getting two different kinds of cuts. fist cut would be when at WOT in 4th or 5th gear the car will jerk just for an instant. kind of like if you would take your foot off of the gas and hit the brake and then get back on the gas really fast. i always thought this was boost cut. now today i was getting on the highway and i was in 4th gear flooring it. i felt the turbo spool up and start to pull but instead of keep pulling it just seemed like it ran out of juice. i would assume this is some sort of cut but what is it? i dont have an AP or DH so i guess this might be a good reason to invest. any help is appreciated.....sorry this was a little long

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well thats sorta what i was afraid of. just wanted to get some clarification. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
305 Posts
[quote author=sleeperstang1994 link=topic=134164.msg2884879#msg2884879 date=1232706889]
well thats sorta what i was afraid of. just wanted to get some clarification. thanks for the help.
[/quote]

I would invest in a DH / AP / ScanGauge - Some kinda way to monitor your car so you can see what's causing the cut. The first one sounds like boost cut to me but you never know.

However, the first thing you need to do is ensure all your clamps are tight. If you're stock that is 5 clamps. two on ether hose going to/from the TMIC and then the Turbo Inlet where it clamps to the turbo. Be sure to put a wrench to them and not just wiggle test them. One of the most common issues for stutter (like what you described as your second symptom) is loose hoses.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
[quote author=diablospeed link=topic=134164.msg2883913#msg2883913 date=1232672903]
the first is boost cut, the second is almost fuel cut.... or a lack of fuel pressure at those RPM's. This equates to your loss of power.
[/quote]

+1

When your car feels like it isnt making power...its because your FP is decreasing and the ECU is pulling back the throttle to keep the AFRs in check.

·
Registered
723 Posts
when was the last time you checked/changed your spark plugs? sounds like you could be "blowing out" the spark, or misfiring for a moment in the middle of your pull. the second description sounds like it could be knock retard and the ecu pulling timing, which would make you feel like you hit a wall. next time it does that, let off and get back on it if you can and see if it feels stronger when you get back in it. then you'll know its probably ecu adjustment/timing related.

and i'll second that you need to get something to monitor/log whats going on so that you know everything is running in the safe range.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried the get off the throttle and get back on and after i did it definitly got better. i have never changed my spark plugs since i only have 6000 miles. Should i change my plugs to a step or two colder? im looking in to getting an AP but that will be a while. So i guess i will just have to stay out of the throttle till i get the FP internals. thanks again

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
[quote author=sleeperstang1994 link=topic=134164.msg2887428#msg2887428 date=1232793950]
I tried the get off the throttle and get back on and after i did it definitly got better. i have never changed my spark plugs since i only have 6000 miles. Should i change my plugs to a step or two colder? im looking in to getting an AP but that will be a while. So i guess i will just have to stay out of the throttle till i get the FP internals. thanks again
[/quote]

Don't worry about it at only 6k...but if you get the AP and start bringing boost up...cobb suggests you get a step colder (denso IVT22 are perfect...step colder and come gapped properly out of the box...sold on streetunit.com).

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
[quote author=Strizzo link=topic=134164.msg2896512#msg2896512 date=1233176013]
with an intake, turbo inlet and turbo back exhaust, he's probably already running a bit higher than stock boost though.
[/quote]

no.

this has been hit on...no matter what mods you have...you will always have stock boost numbers.

you will spike a shit load no doubt...but it will instantly come down back to the stock numbers.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
[quote author=The Brain link=topic=134164.msg2896567#msg2896567 date=1233177413]
So do you require a tune with minor bolt ons? I am adding Turbosmart dual port BOV, CPE nano intake and test pipe with stock MS3 catback?
[/quote]

No you should be fine. Simple intake and test pipe is fine. But when you start getting into more serious mods...like downpipe...FMIC...ect...you'll need a tune.

But you can always benefit from a tune...even if your stock. So if you have the cash...id suggest you go pick up an AP or SB

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
sounds to me either you need spark plugs( not likely but since mazda screwed us and put the same plugs in our car as the 2.3 n/a engine ford and mazda vehicles, you may want to do this anyway. ), fuel you got was horrid or you need to run some fuel injector cleaner and that's for starters( everyone gets s bad batch of fuel every once in a while or maybe it is the wrong octane which would cause your issues and possibly cause it to be intermittent due to changing external temps.) ... I'm staying away from saying it's the fuel pump and such for now... try the cheap and easy things first... If none of that works... which one of them will, try to find a friend or someone with a scan tool etc, and watch your parameters to see what's going on. if you know what you're looking at. If not, have a mechanic read it or someone who knows what they're doing... I'd do all this first unless you really want to replace a 600+ dollar fuel pump as a hopefully problem repair...

Bottom line shouldn't be having this problem with 6k miles. The mods you have shouldn't be causeing this issue... try what i said above then go with the other suggestions if you want... personally I wouldn't do anything aftermarket until the issue is solved...

my 2 cents...

-Fuller

·
Registered
368 Posts
Did you figure out the cuts yet? I just installed a turbo inlet pipe and noticed similar cuts that you described in 4th & 5th gear. It wasn't there before the inlet pipe went in. I don't get these cuts in the lower gears 2nd & 3rd at WOT. My current mods are DP/RP, SRI, TIP, Forge BPV, stock CBE. I will definitely go back and check my hoses first... I need to start thinking about at least a dashhawk.
update: tried to get this to happen again, it seems fine today. Couldn't duplicate it. Pulling hard in 4th and no cut in 5th. The car performed great at autox too... :dunno: Maybe the ECU is starting to get used to the new air flow???

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
[quote author=lucky sevens link=topic=134164.msg2904017#msg2904017 date=1233474028]
:dunno: Maybe the ECU is starting to get used to the new air flow???
[/quote]

you could be correct if you just installed...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.